Re: SWISSCENTER on HD-H250LAN help

  • linkstation.yahoo@datenbankdesign.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2006
      Hi Ed!

      I have been using SwissCenter on a LS2 with 250GB for some time now
      (about 8 months). This piece of software is quite powerful, and the LS
      is perfect for using it with SwissCenter. I can only recommend that you
      try and install it - it's really worth the effort, and it's _way_ better
      than everything else, especially the LinkTheater software and the ugly
      built-in PCast stuff.

      You will still have all your stuff like PCast or the ftp server etc if
      you install the openlink firmware, which should be the first step. And
      you can go back to the original firmware. The only difference that you
      will see is that you can telnet into the linkstation.

      The installation of SwissCenter is quite straight forward if you have
      all the prerequisites on the linkstation, but the hard part is
      installing those prerequisites.

      I recommend first installing SwissCenter on a normal Windows PC and
      trying to get used to it before going through setting up the linkstation.

      What you need on the linkstation (as far as I remember): Apache, MySQL,
      PHP4 with GDLib and Freetype2 compiled in (as far as I remember), Don't
      try it with php5 because there are still a number of problems.

      I had to compile apache, mysql and php4 myself, don't know if you still
      have to do that - have a look around in the Linkstation Wiki
      (www.linkstationwiki.net).

      HTH,
      Bernhard