What to do with Linkstation (120gb)?

  • Andrew Hodgson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2006

      I have a Linkstation which is an v1 model (purchased mid 2004, 120gb).
      It is really now nearly full, and I am moving some (most) data from it
      to another solution (a custom made Linux box).

      However, I am wonting to still use the Linkstation for backups of a
      Windows 2003 system, which takes around 50gb.

      I also was wondering how far the Linux development had come on,
      specificly, I wanted to install an MTA and put a mailing list server
      (Mailman) on the box?

      I can't do this on my main Linux box due to other apps being on the box,
      and I wanted a separate box for the mailing lists.

      Anyone done this before, or can give me some pointers?

      Thanks,
      Andrew.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
        <andrew@...> wrote:

        > I have a Linkstation which is an v1 model (purchased mid 2004,
        > 120gb).

        > I also was wondering how far the Linux development had come on,
        > specificly, I wanted to install an MTA and put a mailing list
        > server (Mailman) on the box?

        Just install "Freelink" (PPC version)
        (http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Projects/FreeLink),
        which is a mostly pure Debian Linux, then do an:

        apt-get update
        apt-get install mailman

        Then configure it to your heart's content.

        I've never run mailman myself, but I did have an MTA running on my
        LS for awhile (it still is running, kind-of). It should all work
        just fine for you.

        You'll have to design your own backup system however, perhaps just
        a "cron" task running "tar" or "zip" over a samba share? or you
        could push it through a share from your windows machine if you like.