SWISSCENTER on HD-H250LAN help

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2006
      Hi

      I have a LInkstation v2.xx that I use as file server and media server
      together with with a Linktheater. I have seen that SwissCenter looks
      way better than the standard Buffalo GUI for LinkTheater + the extras
      like weather forecast.

      I am considering installing it but I would like to get some advice on
      this:

      - Could anyone give me some feedback on SwissCenter? Is it really
      worth the hassle?
      - Does it conflict with the standard file server utility from Buffalo,
      like the ftp server. Is it still there?
      - Is it very hard to get it up and running? Being a nearly complete
      newbie on Linux (only experience as user and installing minimal
      things), I am a bit concern of it. I¨m good following instructions and
      very keen on trying SwissCenter!!
      - Is it possible to roll back to original firmware?
      - I see from SwissCenter that it is possible to browse internet. Does
      this mean that with only the linkstation and the netplayer I can do
      it? NO need for a PC as standard from Buffalo? That sound very cool!!

      Any advice / instructions?

      Thanks

      Ed
    • linkstation.yahoo@datenbankdesign.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2006
        Hi Ed!

        I have been using SwissCenter on a LS2 with 250GB for some time now
        (about 8 months). This piece of software is quite powerful, and the LS
        is perfect for using it with SwissCenter. I can only recommend that you
        try and install it - it's really worth the effort, and it's _way_ better
        than everything else, especially the LinkTheater software and the ugly
        built-in PCast stuff.

        You will still have all your stuff like PCast or the ftp server etc if
        you install the openlink firmware, which should be the first step. And
        you can go back to the original firmware. The only difference that you
        will see is that you can telnet into the linkstation.

        The installation of SwissCenter is quite straight forward if you have
        all the prerequisites on the linkstation, but the hard part is
        installing those prerequisites.

        I recommend first installing SwissCenter on a normal Windows PC and
        trying to get used to it before going through setting up the linkstation.

        What you need on the linkstation (as far as I remember): Apache, MySQL,
        PHP4 with GDLib and Freetype2 compiled in (as far as I remember), Don't
        try it with php5 because there are still a number of problems.

        I had to compile apache, mysql and php4 myself, don't know if you still
        have to do that - have a look around in the Linkstation Wiki
        (www.linkstationwiki.net).

        HTH,
        Bernhard