Can't Delete Files on USB Drive

  • G. Sloane
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
      I took an old internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and put it
      in an USB enclosure. I hooked it up to my linkstation. I can read the
      files just fine, but I can't delete them. I keep changing the
      properties of directories to read and write, but they change back to
      archive. Anybody with any ideas?
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "G. Sloane" <sloane999@...> wrote:

        > I took an old internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and put it
        > in an USB enclosure. I hooked it up to my linkstation. I can read the
        > files just fine, but I can't delete them. I keep changing the
        > properties of directories to read and write, but they change back to
        > archive. Anybody with any ideas?

        Linux only recently gained write support on NTFS filesystems. If you're on Buffalo's kernel,
        you have to use VFAT; alternatively, you could try kernel 2.6 from <http://
        hvkls.dyndns.org>.

        -Andre
      • phuongngocvo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
          <sloane999@...> wrote:

          > I took an old internal hard drive with Windows XP installed and put
          it
          > in an USB enclosure. I hooked it up to my linkstation. I can read
          the
          > files just fine, but I can't delete them. I keep changing the
          > properties of directories to read and write, but they change back to
          > archive. Anybody with any ideas?

          You probably need to reformat the USB drive using the LinkStation Web-
          driven format utility before you can write onto it. Your old drive was
          probably formatted with either NTFS or FAT32. Hope this helps. Phuong.