Is It Possible to Upgrade the Hard Drive In the LinkStation???

  • phuongngocvo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
      Hello All,

      I'm new to this group and the LinkStation. I have a Bufallo
      LinkStation HD-HLAN964 with a 160GB hard drive. Is it possible to
      replace the internal hard drive in the unit with a 300GB one? If the
      answer is YES, would you please show me how? Do I need to use such
      software as Ghost or Acronis TrueImage to clone the hard drives? Will
      the FTP server access the whole capacity of the new drive?

      Thanks in advance for your great help. Have a good day.

      Cheers,
      Phuong
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "phuongngocvo" <phuongngocvo@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > I have a Bufallo
        > LinkStation HD-HLAN964 with a 160GB hard drive. Is it possible to
        > replace the internal hard drive in the unit with a 300GB one?

        Just put an unpartitioned drive in, and run the firmware updater.

        -Andre
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2006
          <phuongngocvo@...> wrote:

          > Is it possible to replace the internal hard drive in the unit with a
          > 300GB one?

          Yes, although I have not actually done it.

          > If the answer is YES, would you please show me how? Do I need to
          > use such software as Ghost or Acronis TrueImage to clone the hard
          > drives?

          No, and in fact, this is probably the hard way to do it. These
          programs will have to know how to copy and resize an EXT-3 file
          systems. (gparted does, and it is free).

          > Will the FTP server access the whole capacity of the new drive?

          No, it only accesses the shared files area.

          Probably the best way to do it is to copy off all the files you stored
          on the drive to a safe place, then swap out the drive (see my
          pictorial on this at:
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/linkstation/Disassembly.html)

          With the new drive installed, boot up the system (it will go into what
          is known as "EM" mode, with nothing working), and run the software
          updater, or better yet the "OpenLink" version of it. You will have to
          access it using the factory default IP network I think.

          After the operating system is re-installed, copy your files back onto
          it. Your configureation should come back because it is stored in
          Flash memory.

          -------

          I've never actually done this, so any who have, please comment.
        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "phuongngocvo"
            <phuongngocvo@> wrote:
            > [...]
            > > I have a Bufallo
            > > LinkStation HD-HLAN964 with a 160GB hard drive. Is it possible to
            > > replace the internal hard drive in the unit with a 300GB one?
            >
            > Just put an unpartitioned drive in, and run the firmware updater.
            >
            > -Andre

            In regards to this method, you may need to run the firmware updater
            twice, once to partition the drives, and the second time to put the
            image on the first partition.

            good luck
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2006
              Where would I be able to get the software updater or OpenLink.

              I'm thinking of swapping out to a new hard drive and want the LS to
              rebuild the partitions, etc, as though it's a new unit.

              Anyone try this yet? Any suggestions?

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2006

                <wartstew@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "phuongngocvo"
                > <phuongngocvo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is it possible to replace the internal hard drive in the unit
                with a
                > > 300GB one?
                >
                > Yes, although I have not actually done it.
                >
                > > If the answer is YES, would you please show me how? Do I need to
                > > use such software as Ghost or Acronis TrueImage to clone the hard
                > > drives?
                >
                > No, and in fact, this is probably the hard way to do it. These
                > programs will have to know how to copy and resize an EXT-3 file
                > systems. (gparted does, and it is free).
                >
                > > Will the FTP server access the whole capacity of the new drive?
                >
                > No, it only accesses the shared files area.
                >

                > Probably the best way to do it is to copy off all the files you
                stored
                > on the drive to a safe place, then swap out the drive (see my
                > pictorial on this at:
                > http://wartstew.homelinux.net/linkstation/Disassembly.html)
                >
                > With the new drive installed, boot up the system (it will go into
                what
                > is known as "EM" mode, with nothing working), and run the software
                > updater, or better yet the "OpenLink" version of it. You will have
                > access it using the factory default IP network I think.
                >
                > After the operating system is re-installed, copy your files back
                onto
                > it. Your configureation should come back because it is stored in
                > Flash memory.
                >
                > -------
                >
                > I've never actually done this, so any who have, please comment.

              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 29, 2006
                  have a look:

                  http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

                  -- mindbender
                  www.linkstationwiki.net

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
                    <musikgoat@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                    > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "phuongngocvo"
                    > <phuongngocvo@> wrote:
                    > > [...]
                    > > > I have a Bufallo
                    > > > LinkStation HD-HLAN964 with a 160GB hard drive. Is it possible
                    > > > replace the internal hard drive in the unit with a 300GB one?
                    > >
                    > > Just put an unpartitioned drive in, and run the firmware updater.
                    > >
                    > > -Andre
                    > >

                    > In regards to this method, you may need to run the firmware updater
                    > twice, once to partition the drives, and the second time to put the
                    > image on the first partition.
                    >
                    > good luck

                    I just swapped out the stock 160 GB with a 320 GB and ran the
                    firmware updater with 1.47 on it (twice) and reflashed the LS,
                    partitioned the drive and it was ready. That easy. The longest part
                    was just waiting for all my data to copy back over to it.

                    One thing I have seen different than what is stated on the Docs I
                    found is that the IP in EM mode is not 192.168.11.150. The IP Utility
                    found it as 192.168.1.55.