stupid telnet question

  • squatpump
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hey all... feel free to laugh at this but I'm just trying to install
      Hamachi so I can get at my files remotely. apparently i need to telnet
      into the linkstation... but following a slightly unrelated guide here
      (http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html) - i'm falling at the
      first hurdle... when i type telnet and then the ip address into a
      command prompt I get "Could not open connection to the host, on port
      23... connect failed"

      what am i doing wrong?? help me, i'm a graphic designer, this is all
      too technical :(

      thanks everyone
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "squatpump" <rainjam@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey all... feel free to laugh at this but I'm just trying to install
        > Hamachi so I can get at my files remotely. apparently i need to telnet
        > into the linkstation... but following a slightly unrelated guide here
        > (http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html) - i'm falling at the
        > first hurdle... when i type telnet and then the ip address into a
        > command prompt I get "Could not open connection to the host, on port
        > 23... connect failed"
        >
        > what am i doing wrong?? help me, i'm a graphic designer, this is all
        > too technical :(
        >
        > thanks everyone

        That first hurdle is dependant on the firmware version you have.
        Check on that. Commonly you will not have a firmware that has telnet
        access.

        If so, that means you would want to load a freelink or openlink
        firmware from www.linkstationwiki.net. This can be a bit of a task,
        but its not that hard. If you follow the instructions clearly, you
        can have a successful install, using openlink you can have SSH and
        telnet access for the device while still running the same web
        interface and having all the settings.

        You know that this box is a linux box, correct? Does Himatchi make
        its software for linux?

        For more info:
        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink

        You can get the downloadable firmware from the downloads section.
        if you are going for OpenLink, the version you want is here:
        http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/openlink/

        There are different versions of the software, depending on your
        version of linkstation.

        check here to find your version:
        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/Information