Re: Run the LS1 without fan?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephanschmidli"
      <steph@...> wrote:
      > I think, this wont work.
      > The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
      > When the fan stops, the LS stops too.

      Yes, I realized when cleaning the fan from dust that when I slow it,
      it switches to high rotation frq. afterwards. There may be some boot
      falure without fan. Since I did not yet open the case, I do not know
      more. But you might well be right that it will not work.
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
        <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephanschmidli"
        > <steph@> wrote:
        > > I think, this wont work.
        > > The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
        > > When the fan stops, the LS stops too.
        >
        > Yes, I realized when cleaning the fan from dust that when I slow it,
        > it switches to high rotation frq. afterwards. There may be some boot
        > falure without fan. Since I did not yet open the case, I do not know
        > more. But you might well be right that it will not work.

        I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

        If its making too much noise, replace it.
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
          <musikgoat@...> wrote:
          > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

          The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
          heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
          take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?

          I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
          with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.

          That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.

          In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.

          > If its making too much noise, replace it.

          If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
          will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
          voltage).

          Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
          40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
        • Derek Taubert
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
            I can assure you that the stock LS1 firmware will indeed shut down the box
            if the fan sensor is not working (or reporting 0 rpms).

            Derek

            On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 08:30:53AM -0000, haberschnasel wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
            > <musikgoat@...> wrote:
            > > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?
            >
            > The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
            > heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
            > take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?
            >
            > I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
            > with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.
            >
            > That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.
            >
            > In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.
            >
            > > If its making too much noise, replace it.
            >
            > If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
            > will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
            > voltage).
            >
            > Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
            > 40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • haberschnasel
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
              <taubert@...> wrote:
              > I can assure you that the stock LS1 firmware will indeed shut down
              the box
              > if the fan sensor is not working (or reporting 0 rpms).

              Anything one can do to disable monitoring?

              BTW, I opened the LS case and out some oil on the fan. Now it is
              silent as it was when I bought my unit two years from now. But from
              what I saw I think there is no need for active cooling once the big
              HDD is replaced...