Re: Run the LS1 without fan?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2006
      <wartstew@...> wrote:
      > It seems that if the case was modified so that the interior would get
      > some natural ventalation, you might be able to do it. The thought is
      > to add holes on the bottom and top of the case so there will be a
      > normal draft of warm air raising out of the case sucking in cool air
      > from the bottom.

      OK, I may try this. Do you know: Is there any heat sensor / cpu
      throttling or may I overheat the system this way? Perhaps there are
      software tools for monitoring T, but they are only for the CPU, I guess?
    • Guennadi Liakhovetski
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2006
        On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, haberschnasel wrote:

        > OK, I may try this. Do you know: Is there any heat sensor / cpu
        > throttling or may I overheat the system this way? Perhaps there are
        > software tools for monitoring T, but they are only for the CPU, I guess?

        No, don't think this CPU can throttle. And I don't know of any board / CPU
        sensors, you may only monitor hard-drive's temperature, AFAIK. So, better
        be careful... But if you spin down / switch off hdd, it _might_ work
        without a fan...

        Thanks
        Guennadi
        ---
        Guennadi Liakhovetski
      • stephanschmidli
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
          <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, haberschnasel wrote:
          >
          > > OK, I may try this. Do you know: Is there any heat sensor / cpu
          > > throttling or may I overheat the system this way? Perhaps there are
          > > software tools for monitoring T, but they are only for the CPU, I
          guess?

          > No, don't think this CPU can throttle. And I don't know of any board
          / CPU
          > sensors, you may only monitor hard-drive's temperature, AFAIK. So,
          better
          > be careful... But if you spin down / switch off hdd, it _might_ work
          > without a fan...
          >
          > Thanks
          > Guennadi
          > ---
          > Guennadi Liakhovetski

          Hi
          I think, this wont work.
          The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
          When the fan stops, the LS stops too.

          Stephan
        • haberschnasel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephanschmidli"
            <steph@...> wrote:
            > I think, this wont work.
            > The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
            > When the fan stops, the LS stops too.

            Yes, I realized when cleaning the fan from dust that when I slow it,
            it switches to high rotation frq. afterwards. There may be some boot
            falure without fan. Since I did not yet open the case, I do not know
            more. But you might well be right that it will not work.
          • musikgoat
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
              <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephanschmidli"
              > <steph@> wrote:
              > > I think, this wont work.
              > > The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
              > > When the fan stops, the LS stops too.
              >
              > Yes, I realized when cleaning the fan from dust that when I slow it,
              > it switches to high rotation frq. afterwards. There may be some boot
              > falure without fan. Since I did not yet open the case, I do not know
              > more. But you might well be right that it will not work.

              I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

              If its making too much noise, replace it.
            • haberschnasel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
                <musikgoat@...> wrote:
                > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

                The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
                heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
                take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?

                I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
                with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.

                That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.

                In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.

                > If its making too much noise, replace it.

                If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
                will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
                voltage).

                Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
                40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
              • Derek Taubert
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                  I can assure you that the stock LS1 firmware will indeed shut down the box
                  if the fan sensor is not working (or reporting 0 rpms).

                  Derek

                  On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 08:30:53AM -0000, haberschnasel wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
                  > <musikgoat@...> wrote:
                  > > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?
                  >
                  > The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
                  > heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
                  > take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?
                  >
                  > I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
                  > with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.
                  >
                  > That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.
                  >
                  > In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.
                  >
                  > > If its making too much noise, replace it.
                  >
                  > If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
                  > will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
                  > voltage).
                  >
                  > Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
                  > 40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • haberschnasel
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                    <taubert@...> wrote:
                    > I can assure you that the stock LS1 firmware will indeed shut down
                    the box
                    > if the fan sensor is not working (or reporting 0 rpms).

                    Anything one can do to disable monitoring?

                    BTW, I opened the LS case and out some oil on the fan. Now it is
                    silent as it was when I bought my unit two years from now. But from
                    what I saw I think there is no need for active cooling once the big
                    HDD is replaced...