Run the LS1 without fan?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27, 2006
      Hi all,

      I am thinking of replacing the internal HDD with a laptop drive. Will
      I be able to run it without a fan, then?
      To all of you out there who already cracked open the LS case: I guess
      the HDD is producing the mail heat in there. Would the rest work with
      passive cooling? Maybe if I remove the case / let it run open?

      Thanks for any advice!
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
        <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am thinking of replacing the internal HDD with a laptop drive. Will
        > I be able to run it without a fan, then?
        > To all of you out there who already cracked open the LS case: I guess
        > the HDD is producing the mail heat in there. Would the rest work with
        > passive cooling? Maybe if I remove the case / let it run open?
        >
        > Thanks for any advice!

        Maybe.

        It seems that if the case was modified so that the interior would get
        some natural ventalation, you might be able to do it. The thought is
        to add holes on the bottom and top of the case so there will be a
        normal draft of warm air raising out of the case sucking in cool air
        from the bottom.
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2006
          <wartstew@...> wrote:
          > It seems that if the case was modified so that the interior would get
          > some natural ventalation, you might be able to do it. The thought is
          > to add holes on the bottom and top of the case so there will be a
          > normal draft of warm air raising out of the case sucking in cool air
          > from the bottom.

          OK, I may try this. Do you know: Is there any heat sensor / cpu
          throttling or may I overheat the system this way? Perhaps there are
          software tools for monitoring T, but they are only for the CPU, I guess?
        • Guennadi Liakhovetski
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2006
            On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, haberschnasel wrote:

            > OK, I may try this. Do you know: Is there any heat sensor / cpu
            > throttling or may I overheat the system this way? Perhaps there are
            > software tools for monitoring T, but they are only for the CPU, I guess?

            No, don't think this CPU can throttle. And I don't know of any board / CPU
            sensors, you may only monitor hard-drive's temperature, AFAIK. So, better
            be careful... But if you spin down / switch off hdd, it _might_ work
            without a fan...

            Thanks
            Guennadi
            ---
            Guennadi Liakhovetski
          • stephanschmidli
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
              <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, haberschnasel wrote:
              >
              > > OK, I may try this. Do you know: Is there any heat sensor / cpu
              > > throttling or may I overheat the system this way? Perhaps there are
              > > software tools for monitoring T, but they are only for the CPU, I
              guess?

              > No, don't think this CPU can throttle. And I don't know of any board
              / CPU
              > sensors, you may only monitor hard-drive's temperature, AFAIK. So,
              better
              > be careful... But if you spin down / switch off hdd, it _might_ work
              > without a fan...
              >
              > Thanks
              > Guennadi
              > ---
              > Guennadi Liakhovetski

              Hi
              I think, this wont work.
              The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
              When the fan stops, the LS stops too.

              Stephan
            • haberschnasel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephanschmidli"
                <steph@...> wrote:
                > I think, this wont work.
                > The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
                > When the fan stops, the LS stops too.

                Yes, I realized when cleaning the fan from dust that when I slow it,
                it switches to high rotation frq. afterwards. There may be some boot
                falure without fan. Since I did not yet open the case, I do not know
                more. But you might well be right that it will not work.
              • musikgoat
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
                  <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephanschmidli"
                  > <steph@> wrote:
                  > > I think, this wont work.
                  > > The LS has a 3 wire fan with a speed sensor.
                  > > When the fan stops, the LS stops too.
                  >
                  > Yes, I realized when cleaning the fan from dust that when I slow it,
                  > it switches to high rotation frq. afterwards. There may be some boot
                  > falure without fan. Since I did not yet open the case, I do not know
                  > more. But you might well be right that it will not work.

                  I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

                  If its making too much noise, replace it.
                • haberschnasel
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
                    <musikgoat@...> wrote:
                    > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

                    The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
                    heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
                    take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?

                    I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
                    with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.

                    That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.

                    In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.

                    > If its making too much noise, replace it.

                    If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
                    will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
                    voltage).

                    Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
                    40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
                  • Derek Taubert
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                      I can assure you that the stock LS1 firmware will indeed shut down the box
                      if the fan sensor is not working (or reporting 0 rpms).

                      Derek

                      On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 08:30:53AM -0000, haberschnasel wrote:
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
                      > <musikgoat@...> wrote:
                      > > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?
                      >
                      > The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
                      > heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
                      > take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?
                      >
                      > I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
                      > with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.
                      >
                      > That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.
                      >
                      > In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.
                      >
                      > > If its making too much noise, replace it.
                      >
                      > If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
                      > will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
                      > voltage).
                      >
                      > Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
                      > 40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • haberschnasel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                        <taubert@...> wrote:
                        > I can assure you that the stock LS1 firmware will indeed shut down
                        the box
                        > if the fan sensor is not working (or reporting 0 rpms).

                        Anything one can do to disable monitoring?

                        BTW, I opened the LS case and out some oil on the fan. Now it is
                        silent as it was when I bought my unit two years from now. But from
                        what I saw I think there is no need for active cooling once the big
                        HDD is replaced...