Re: erase disk

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sueio" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Is there a way to completely erase a disk in a stock linkstation so
      > sensitive data can never be retrieved?

      You've answered your own question below.

      > I image one way is to remove the disk drive and do a low-level format
      > via a PC; however, I would like to be able to do the erase without
      > removing the hard drive.

      Unfortunately, that will be the only way to securely erase your data.
      The stock unit doesn't come with any better formatting abilities.

      There are some pictures available that show you where the screws are
      located on the Linkstation.
      http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstewart228368/linkstation/Disassembly.html

      Keep in mind, if you plan on using the device, you only want to
      format partition hda3, You will notice when you mount it to your PC
      that there will be 4 sections, the third being the largest. Only
      format that partition. The other partitions are for the OS of the
      linkstation to run.

      Good Luck
    • sueio
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
        Another way to do it is to write 'junk files' until the linkstation is
        full then do a format. Repeat a few times.....