erase disk

  • sueio
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006
      Is there a way to completely erase a disk in a stock linkstation so
      sensitive data can never be retrieved?

      I image one way is to remove the disk drive and do a low-level format
      via a PC; however, I would like to be able to do the erase without
      removing the hard drive.

      I am hoping for a non-Linux solution if possible. I am all thumbs
      with Linux.
    • myyahoo@thinkling.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
        > Is there a way to completely erase a disk in a stock
        > linkstation so sensitive data can never be retrieved?

        I'd recommend researching "shredder" programs which repeatedly write
        nonsense data over deleted files. I don't know how secure they are against
        people with advanced equipment.

        /Maarten.
      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sueio" <paul@...> wrote:

          > Is there a way to completely erase a disk in a stock linkstation so
          > sensitive data can never be retrieved?

          You've answered your own question below.

          > I image one way is to remove the disk drive and do a low-level format
          > via a PC; however, I would like to be able to do the erase without
          > removing the hard drive.

          Unfortunately, that will be the only way to securely erase your data.
          The stock unit doesn't come with any better formatting abilities.

          There are some pictures available that show you where the screws are
          located on the Linkstation.
          http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstewart228368/linkstation/Disassembly.html

          Keep in mind, if you plan on using the device, you only want to
          format partition hda3, You will notice when you mount it to your PC
          that there will be 4 sections, the third being the largest. Only
          format that partition. The other partitions are for the OS of the
          linkstation to run.

          Good Luck
        • sueio
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
            Another way to do it is to write 'junk files' until the linkstation is
            full then do a format. Repeat a few times.....