Re: Mount TeraStation to LinkStation

  • -
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2006
      Although put politely bill your comments are without merit.

      In fact that was MY point from my statements to wit -

      Bufallo advertises their product as having NFS - yet it does not.

      Additionally your viewpoint that when you add additional modules
      creating load on the embeded unit causes performance degradation on
      the surface makes sense - the ability to calibrate to a 1GB link is
      pointless if the throughput does not take advantage of it.

      It would be like building a tank with a single horse power engine -
      it is still a tank - but a paper weight tank.

      Unfortunately although your statements a valid - that does not make
      them applicable nor of merit to the actual condition(s).

      The most amusing part of this is - the LinkStation which was the
      reason I needed NFS - has the NFS client installed.

      Finally - the performance issues were evident prior to NFS using
      SMB - so I remain on the hilltop shouting this TeraStation is a POS.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, bill fumerola
      <billf@...> wrote:

      > > > freebsd/linux/osx/etc can mount it using smbfs. osx can mount
      an ftp
      > > > server as a file system. no nfs required.
      > >
      > > yes, that is _somewhat_ true.
      >
      > somewhat true?
      >
      > can freebsd/linux/osx mount a terastation using smbfs? yes.
      > can osx mount the terastation's ftp service as a file system? yes.
      > is enabling nfs required to access files from a unix client? no.
      >
      > looks like what i said is entirely true.
      >
      > sure, nfs may be _desireable_ in some environments. openafs may be
      > desireable in some environments too.
      >
      > > however nfs has some important advantages over using smbfs:
      > > UID/GID/perissions are also exported over nfs.
      > >
      > > with smbfs, you have to find some mappings to get useful uids /
      gids /
      > > whatever.
      > >
      > > i don`t know it's possible to export symlinks over smbfs either.
      >
      > the point wasn't to debate nfs v. cifs v. afs v. coda etc. they
      each
      > have their advantages and disadvantages. the point is that it
      saying
      > that the terastation "isn't [unix compatible] until you hack and
      put in
      > NFS" is inaccurate. if NFS is a feature the community widely
      desires to
      > be able to enable: ask buffalo to add that option to their image.
      >
      > - bill

    • Brian Waite
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
        On Saturday 24 June 2006 5:13 pm, - wrote:
        > Although put politely bill your comments are without merit.
        >
        > In fact that was MY point from my statements to wit -
        >
        > Bufallo advertises their product as having NFS - yet it does not.

        Where do you get the advertised NFS support? Looking at the datasheets for TS
        and TS Pro, I see the following protocols: TCP/IP, SMB,FTP, UPS. I don't know
        where you got NFS but if you get your purchasing info from developer
        websites, be prepared to do leg work to get there.

        Refernces:
        http://buffalotech.com/documents/pdf/TeraStation-Pro_DS.pdf
        http://buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=133&categoryid=25
        > Additionally your viewpoint that when you add additional modules
        > creating load on the embeded unit causes performance degradation on
        > the surface makes sense - the ability to calibrate to a 1GB link is
        > pointless if the throughput does not take advantage of it.
        >
        > It would be like building a tank with a single horse power engine -
        > it is still a tank - but a paper weight tank.
        >
        > Unfortunately although your statements a valid - that does not make
        > them applicable nor of merit to the actual condition(s).
        >
        > The most amusing part of this is - the LinkStation which was the
        > reason I needed NFS - has the NFS client installed.

        I think you amde an assumption about the TS that is proven untrue.