Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Mount TeraStation to LinkStation

  • bill fumerola
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2006
      On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:53:39PM +0200, Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
      > > On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 04:46:49PM -0000, - wrote:
      > > > Buffalo indicates the unit is Unix / Linux compat - it isn't until
      > > > you hack and put in NFS - but that does get you there.
      > >
      > > freebsd/linux/osx/etc can mount it using smbfs. osx can mount an ftp
      > > server as a file system. no nfs required.
      >
      > yes, that is _somewhat_ true.

      somewhat true?

      can freebsd/linux/osx mount a terastation using smbfs? yes.
      can osx mount the terastation's ftp service as a file system? yes.
      is enabling nfs required to access files from a unix client? no.

      looks like what i said is entirely true.

      sure, nfs may be _desireable_ in some environments. openafs may be
      desireable in some environments too.

      > however nfs has some important advantages over using smbfs:
      > UID/GID/perissions are also exported over nfs.
      >
      > with smbfs, you have to find some mappings to get useful uids / gids /
      > whatever.
      >
      > i don`t know it's possible to export symlinks over smbfs either.

      the point wasn't to debate nfs v. cifs v. afs v. coda etc. they each
      have their advantages and disadvantages. the point is that it saying
      that the terastation "isn't [unix compatible] until you hack and put in
      NFS" is inaccurate. if NFS is a feature the community widely desires to
      be able to enable: ask buffalo to add that option to their image.

      - bill
    • -
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2006
        Although put politely bill your comments are without merit.

        In fact that was MY point from my statements to wit -

        Bufallo advertises their product as having NFS - yet it does not.

        Additionally your viewpoint that when you add additional modules
        creating load on the embeded unit causes performance degradation on
        the surface makes sense - the ability to calibrate to a 1GB link is
        pointless if the throughput does not take advantage of it.

        It would be like building a tank with a single horse power engine -
        it is still a tank - but a paper weight tank.

        Unfortunately although your statements a valid - that does not make
        them applicable nor of merit to the actual condition(s).

        The most amusing part of this is - the LinkStation which was the
        reason I needed NFS - has the NFS client installed.

        Finally - the performance issues were evident prior to NFS using
        SMB - so I remain on the hilltop shouting this TeraStation is a POS.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, bill fumerola
        <billf@...> wrote:

        > > > freebsd/linux/osx/etc can mount it using smbfs. osx can mount
        an ftp
        > > > server as a file system. no nfs required.
        > >
        > > yes, that is _somewhat_ true.
        >
        > somewhat true?
        >
        > can freebsd/linux/osx mount a terastation using smbfs? yes.
        > can osx mount the terastation's ftp service as a file system? yes.
        > is enabling nfs required to access files from a unix client? no.
        >
        > looks like what i said is entirely true.
        >
        > sure, nfs may be _desireable_ in some environments. openafs may be
        > desireable in some environments too.
        >
        > > however nfs has some important advantages over using smbfs:
        > > UID/GID/perissions are also exported over nfs.
        > >
        > > with smbfs, you have to find some mappings to get useful uids /
        gids /
        > > whatever.
        > >
        > > i don`t know it's possible to export symlinks over smbfs either.
        >
        > the point wasn't to debate nfs v. cifs v. afs v. coda etc. they
        each
        > have their advantages and disadvantages. the point is that it
        saying
        > that the terastation "isn't [unix compatible] until you hack and
        put in
        > NFS" is inaccurate. if NFS is a feature the community widely
        desires to
        > be able to enable: ask buffalo to add that option to their image.
        >
        > - bill

      • Brian Waite
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
          On Saturday 24 June 2006 5:13 pm, - wrote:
          > Although put politely bill your comments are without merit.
          >
          > In fact that was MY point from my statements to wit -
          >
          > Bufallo advertises their product as having NFS - yet it does not.

          Where do you get the advertised NFS support? Looking at the datasheets for TS
          and TS Pro, I see the following protocols: TCP/IP, SMB,FTP, UPS. I don't know
          where you got NFS but if you get your purchasing info from developer
          websites, be prepared to do leg work to get there.

          Refernces:
          http://buffalotech.com/documents/pdf/TeraStation-Pro_DS.pdf
          http://buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=133&categoryid=25
          > Additionally your viewpoint that when you add additional modules
          > creating load on the embeded unit causes performance degradation on
          > the surface makes sense - the ability to calibrate to a 1GB link is
          > pointless if the throughput does not take advantage of it.
          >
          > It would be like building a tank with a single horse power engine -
          > it is still a tank - but a paper weight tank.
          >
          > Unfortunately although your statements a valid - that does not make
          > them applicable nor of merit to the actual condition(s).
          >
          > The most amusing part of this is - the LinkStation which was the
          > reason I needed NFS - has the NFS client installed.

          I think you amde an assumption about the TS that is proven untrue.