Re: u-boot status

  • av8r2000
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
      Looking great! I was planning on porting u-boot to the
      Kurobox/Linkstation myself but it looks like there's a lot of
      progress being made with it already!

      Are you using javascout's patch from kurobox.com? Regardless, you
      might want to coordinate with him. It sounds like there's quite a
      bit of activity going on with this right now in the kurobox.com
      forums.

      -Jon

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "linuxjacques"
      <dwayne.fontenot@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure what I changed but now PCI auto-config is working.
      > I don't exactly understand its choice of I/O memory locations,
      > but at this point I'm not inclined to argue. :-)
      >
      > I spent some time banging on the rtl8169 driver but it's really
      > bit-rotted. I found one obvious error right away but fixing it
      > made no difference (even after PCI auto-config started working).
      > This will take more work. :-\
      >
      > I looked at Guennadi's kernel patch and I think it's exactly
      > what I need to get the AVR watchdog disable working.
      > I ran out of time on actually implementing it tho.
      > Hopefully tonight.
      >
      > I fixed the flash sector mapping. I had forgotten it's
      > bottom-boot which means smaller (8 x 8kB) sectors at the
      > start of memory. The idea is you can save flash space
      > by putting the bootloader there, but that is not applicable
      > to this hardware design (reset to 0xfff00000).
      >
      > The good news is I got the IDE and ext2fs drivers working.
      > I can see the hard drive, its partitions, and even look at
      > files on the ext2 filesystems. :-D
      >
      > I'm appending a minicom session capture. I hope it's not too long.
      >
      > jacques

      > U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jun 22 2006 - 07:22:40) [KuroHG]
      >
      > CPU: MPC8245 Revision 1.4 at 262.144 MHz: 16 kB I-Cache 16 kB
      D-Cache
      > Board: Kurobox HG local bus at 131.072 MHz
    • linuxjacques
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "av8r2000" <jon.yahoo@...>
        wrote:

        > Looking great! I was planning on porting u-boot to the
        > Kurobox/Linkstation myself but it looks like there's a lot of
        > progress being made with it already!
        >
        > Are you using javascout's patch from kurobox.com? Regardless, you
        > might want to coordinate with him. It sounds like there's quite a
        > bit of activity going on with this right now in the kurobox.com
        > forums.
        >
        > -Jon

        No, I'm not using javascout's patch.

        I would love to post on the kurobox.com forums but I have been trying
        to register for three days and "submit" on the form just hangs forever.

        I am trying for the bounty (I really want a Terastation Pro) so
        against all my "release early, release often" and "collaborate"
        instincts I think it would be unwise to release code before the
        bounty is decided one way or the other.

        jacques
      • Brian Waite
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006

          > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on kurobox.com forums.
          > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I haven't been
          > posting there.

          I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and was able to create an
          account and activate. I also saw some 50 registration in this month alone.
          (Many are psammers with no more account)

          Thanks
          Brian
          > jacques
        • linuxjacques
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Waite <linwoes@...>
            wrote:

            > > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on kurobox.com forums.
            > > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I haven't been
            > > posting there.
            > >
            > I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and was able to create an
            > account and activate. I also saw some 50 registration in this month
            alone.
            > (Many are psammers with no more account)

            hmm, is there something about the form which would cause it to not work
            when submitted from behind a corporate firewall? Such as being a
            mailto: action? I looked at the source and it looks like it runs a
            php script so I figured that wasn't the problem.

            If I can get internet access tonight, I'll try registering again.

            jacques
          • Guennadi Liakhovetski
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
              On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:

              > I looked at Guennadi's kernel patch and I think it's exactly
              > what I need to get the AVR watchdog disable working.

              Glad if it helps, but - wouldn't it be better to use the u-boot's serial
              driver for that? Presumably there, unlike in the kernel, you don't have
              the driver-layering problem, no ttys, line-disciplines... I only looked at
              u-boot's sources once one or two years ago, so, maybe I am talking
              nonsense. Does u-boot use interrupts?

              Thanks
              Guennadi
              ---
              Guennadi Liakhovetski
            • KeepIt SimpleStupid
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                Are Cookies enabled?

                Some websites hang. Others check and complain. Still
                others let you log in with or without cookies.

                --- Brian Waite <linwoes@...> wrote:

                > > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on
                > kurobox.com forums.
                > > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I
                > haven't been
                > > posting there.
                > >
                > I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and
                > was able to create an
                > account and activate. I also saw some 50
                > registration in this month alone.
                > (Many are psammers with no more account)
                >
                > Thanks
                > Brian
                > > jacques

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • linuxjacques
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 23, 2006
                  I managed to register once I was not behind the corporate firewall.
                  Maybe the form is using a mailto: action which would be blocked
                  (port 25 outgoing) by our firewall.

                  jacques

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                  > Are Cookies enabled?
                  >
                  > Some websites hang. Others check and complain. Still
                  > others let you log in with or without cookies.
                  >
                  > --- Brian Waite <linwoes@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on
                  > > kurobox.com forums.
                  > > > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I
                  > > haven't been
                  > > > posting there.
                  > > >
                  > > I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and
                  > > was able to create an
                  > > account and activate. I also saw some 50
                  > > registration in this month alone.
                  > > (Many are psammers with no more account)
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Brian
                  > > > jacques

                • Guennadi Liakhovetski
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 24, 2006
                    jacques,

                    to your jtag problem: on bdi2000 you can configure when to assert reset,
                    whether to let the board run or halt immediately... don't remember
                    exactly, has been long since. Could anything there help you? I think, I
                    had this problem with bdi2000, it is just too intelligent. I used a simple
                    jtag programmer and it worked.

                    Thanks
                    Guennadi
                    ---
                    Guennadi Liakhovetski
                  • mmsupport staff

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 14, 2006
                        On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:

                        > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
                        >
                        > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
                        > much still to do.

                        Jacques, how long does it take with your bdi2000 to flash u-boot over
                        JTag?

                        Thanks
                        Guennadi
                        ---
                        Guennadi Liakhovetski
                      • Guennadi Liakhovetski
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 15, 2006
                          On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

                          > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:
                          >
                          > > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
                          > >
                          > > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
                          > > much still to do.
                          >
                          > Jacques, how long does it take with your bdi2000 to flash u-boot over
                          > JTag?

                          Just found this AN, looks useful and includes source code, one could
                          compare to the jtag bus-driver. They say 73 bytes/sec on a 25MHz 486, so,
                          on a 1GHz "should" be 3kB/s ~ 180kB/min:

                          http://www.freescale.com/files/archives/doc/app_note/AN1264.pdf

                          Thanks
                          Guennadi
                          ---