u-boot status

  • linuxjacques
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006

      I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.

      At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
      much still to do.

      What's working:
      --------------
      dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
      flash read/erase/write (can update u-boot from itself, flash kernel, etc.)
      serial input/output (can send new kernel over serial using ymodem)

      TODO:
      ----
      AVR watchdog support
      flash protect/unprotect
      finish PCI configuration
      rtl8169 network (to netboot or load new kernels over network)
      sii0680a IDE (this is not needed to boot a kernel from flash,
      but is to boot directly from kernel on hard drive)

      I would be further along but my understanding of PCI memory mapping is
      somewhat imperfect. :-\

      I am posting to get feedback on the priorities of items on the TODO list.
      How important is netboot? More than booting from a kernel image on disk?
      How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
      enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)

      Are there unlisted features/functionality people need/want?

      jacques
    • Brian Waite
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
        Great work Jaques! comments inline.
        On Wednesday 21 June 2006 12:56 pm, linuxjacques wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
        >
        > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
        > much still to do.
        >
        > What's working:
        > --------------
        > dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
        This is fantastic the rest will just fall into place.
        > flash read/erase/write (can update u-boot from itself, flash kernel, etc.)
        > serial input/output (can send new kernel over serial using ymodem)
        >
        > TODO:
        > ----
        > AVR watchdog support
        > flash protect/unprotect
        > finish PCI configuration
        > rtl8169 network (to netboot or load new kernels over network)
        > sii0680a IDE (this is not needed to boot a kernel from flash,
        > but is to boot directly from kernel on hard drive)
        >

        > I would be further along but my understanding of PCI memory mapping is
        > somewhat imperfect. :-\
        >
        > I am posting to get feedback on the priorities of items on the TODO list.
        > How important is netboot? More than booting from a kernel image on disk?
        I would say booting from net is impt, but IDE is probably more universally
        wanted.
        > How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
        > enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)
        I think disable until boot is fine.

        > Are there unlisted features/functionality people need/want?
        I think it is a second order type thing but I want u-boot to have redundent
        kernel boot. IE Try to boot kernel A, but if it fails, boot kernel B from
        FLASH. This will help protect from future bricking as you only change kernel
        A and B is failsafe.

        > jacques
      • Guennadi Liakhovetski
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
          On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:

          > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
          >
          > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
          > much still to do.
          >
          > What's working:
          > --------------
          > dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
          > flash read/erase/write (can update u-boot from itself, flash kernel, etc.)
          > serial input/output (can send new kernel over serial using ymodem)

          Great! This is already a quite working set. It is already certainly better
          than now, if you have a serial console...

          > TODO:
          > ----
          > AVR watchdog support

          There's code for that in my kernel patch - without using the serial driver
          in pure polling mode without interrupts - you are welcome to use it (I
          posted it a few weeks ago to this list).

          > flash protect/unprotect
          > finish PCI configuration
          > rtl8169 network (to netboot or load new kernels over network)
          > sii0680a IDE (this is not needed to boot a kernel from flash,
          > but is to boot directly from kernel on hard drive)

          ext2 is supported by u-boot? Or does it use sector addresses? Only one
          image or selectable?

          > I would be further along but my understanding of PCI memory mapping is
          > somewhat imperfect. :-\

          Did you have a look at the stock bootloader sources?

          > I am posting to get feedback on the priorities of items on the TODO list.
          > How important is netboot? More than booting from a kernel image on disk?
          > How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
          > enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)

          Well, I would put more value to network than IDE support... Is this
          network chip supported in u-boot?

          Great work!

          Thanks
          Guennadi
          ---
          Guennadi Liakhovetski
        • linuxjacques
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Waite <linwoes@...>
            wrote:

            > Great work Jaques! comments inline.
            > On Wednesday 21 June 2006 12:56 pm, linuxjacques wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
            > >
            > > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
            > > much still to do.
            > >
            > > What's working:
            > > --------------
            > > dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
            > This is fantastic the rest will just fall into place.

            Thanks, I agree getting all the memory config registers right
            was a big milestone for me.

            > > How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
            > > enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)
            > I think disable until boot is fine.

            Cool. That's the easiest to implement. :-D

            > > Are there unlisted features/functionality people need/want?
            > I think it is a second order type thing but I want u-boot to have
            redundent
            > kernel boot. IE Try to boot kernel A, but if it fails, boot kernel B
            from
            > FLASH. This will help protect from future bricking as you only
            change kernel
            > A and B is failsafe.

            Are you saying two kernels in flash or one on hard disk and one in flash?

            I'll check what failsafe features u-boot may already have.

            jacques
          • linuxjacques
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
              <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:
              >
              > > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
              > >
              > > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
              > > much still to do.
              > >
              > > What's working:
              > > --------------
              > > dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
              > > flash read/erase/write (can update u-boot from itself, flash
              kernel, etc.)
              > > serial input/output (can send new kernel over serial using ymodem)
              >
              > Great! This is already a quite working set. It is already certainly
              better
              > than now, if you have a serial console...

              Yes, if one has a serial console it's quite usable now. You can change
              and save the kernel command line in the u-boot env, write kernels
              and possibly ramdisk images to flash, boot from flash.

              People should know that u-boot uses uImages which are normal images
              with a special header and possibly compressed. If you have u-boot's
              mkimage tool installed, you can even do 'make uImage' with recent
              kernel source. You can also create multi-Images which include a kernel
              and a ramdisk (like initramfs). When you upload a uImage to u-boot,
              it checks the checksum from the header against the data.

              > > TODO:
              > > ----
              > > AVR watchdog support
              >
              > There's code for that in my kernel patch - without using the serial
              driver
              > in pure polling mode without interrupts - you are welcome to use it (I
              > posted it a few weeks ago to this list).

              Excellent! Thanks. :-)

              > > flash protect/unprotect
              > > finish PCI configuration
              > > rtl8169 network (to netboot or load new kernels over network)
              > > sii0680a IDE (this is not needed to boot a kernel from flash,
              > > but is to boot directly from kernel on hard drive)
              >
              > ext2 is supported by u-boot? Or does it use sector addresses? Only one
              > image or selectable?

              Once IDE is working, u-boot can read a kernel from a raw partition
              on the hard drive. From looking at its "fs" source dir, it might
              also support these filesystems (can't guarantee they all work):

              cramfs/ ext2/ fat/ fdos/ jffs2/ reiserfs/

              By using different boot commands or changing u-boot env vars, it
              should be possible to choose what image you want to boot.

              > > I would be further along but my understanding of PCI memory mapping is
              > > somewhat imperfect. :-\
              >
              > Did you have a look at the stock bootloader sources?

              I thought these weren't available? I searched and did not find them.
              I was told last night that the source.zip file included them but I
              looked in there and didn't see them.

              If they are available it would certainly help.

              > > I am posting to get feedback on the priorities of items on the
              TODO list.
              > > How important is netboot? More than booting from a kernel image on
              disk?
              > > How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
              > > enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)
              >
              > Well, I would put more value to network than IDE support... Is this
              > network chip supported in u-boot?

              Good question. There is a rtl8169 driver in u-boot source, but none
              of the included device configs use it. I don't know if it works.

              > Great work!
              >
              > Thanks
              > Guennadi
              > ---
              > Guennadi Liakhovetski

              Thanks for the AVR code, advice, and encouragment!

              jacques
            • Guennadi Liakhovetski
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
                On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:

                > > > I would be further along but my understanding of PCI memory mapping is
                > > > somewhat imperfect. :-\
                > >
                > > Did you have a look at the stock bootloader sources?
                >
                > I thought these weren't available? I searched and did not find them.
                > I was told last night that the source.zip file included them but I
                > looked in there and didn't see them.
                >
                > If they are available it would certainly help.

                Look at

                http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/source_code/powerpc-hdhglan_gpl.zip

                there are linux-kernel sources there as
                linux-2.4.20_mvl31_hd-hglan-2.0.2.tar.gz, there you get
                linux-2.4.20_hglan_htgl/arch/ppc/boot.tgz which, I think, is some version
                of the bootloader... Somebody on the IRC told me that.

                Good luck
                Guennadi
                ---
                Guennadi Liakhovetski
              • Brian Waite
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                  On Wednesday 21 June 2006 5:22 pm, linuxjacques wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
                  >
                  > <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:
                  > > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:
                  > > > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
                  > > >
                  > > > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
                  > > > much still to do.
                  > > >
                  > > > What's working:
                  > > > --------------
                  > > > dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
                  > > > flash read/erase/write (can update u-boot from itself, flash
                  >
                  > kernel, etc.)
                  >
                  > > > serial input/output (can send new kernel over serial using ymodem)
                  > >
                  > > Great! This is already a quite working set. It is already certainly
                  >
                  > better
                  >
                  > > than now, if you have a serial console...
                  >
                  > Yes, if one has a serial console it's quite usable now. You can change
                  > and save the kernel command line in the u-boot env, write kernels
                  > and possibly ramdisk images to flash, boot from flash.
                  >
                  > People should know that u-boot uses uImages which are normal images
                  > with a special header and possibly compressed. If you have u-boot's
                  > mkimage tool installed, you can even do 'make uImage' with recent
                  > kernel source. You can also create multi-Images which include a kernel
                  > and a ramdisk (like initramfs). When you upload a uImage to u-boot,
                  > it checks the checksum from the header against the data.
                  >
                  > > > TODO:
                  > > > ----
                  > > > AVR watchdog support
                  > >
                  > > There's code for that in my kernel patch - without using the serial
                  >
                  > driver
                  >
                  > > in pure polling mode without interrupts - you are welcome to use it (I
                  > > posted it a few weeks ago to this list).
                  >
                  > Excellent! Thanks. :-)
                  >
                  > > > flash protect/unprotect
                  > > > finish PCI configuration
                  > > > rtl8169 network (to netboot or load new kernels over network)
                  Network would be good because u-boot supports netconsole and dhcp.
                  > > > sii0680a IDE (this is not needed to boot a kernel from flash,
                  > > > but is to boot directly from kernel on hard drive)
                  > >
                  > > ext2 is supported by u-boot? Or does it use sector addresses? Only one
                  > > image or selectable?
                  If I recall it does support ext2 or fat I forget. It also supports JFFS2 so we
                  could use an area of FLASH as a FLASH file system.

                  > Once IDE is working, u-boot can read a kernel from a raw partition
                  > on the hard drive. From looking at its "fs" source dir, it might
                  > also support these filesystems (can't guarantee they all work):
                  >
                  > cramfs/ ext2/ fat/ fdos/ jffs2/ reiserfs/
                  >
                  > By using different boot commands or changing u-boot env vars, it
                  > should be possible to choose what image you want to boot.

                  Yes you can also use a properly configured DCHP server to provide almost all
                  that info to override the env defaults.

                  > > > I would be further along but my understanding of PCI memory mapping is
                  > > > somewhat imperfect. :-\
                  > >
                  > > Did you have a look at the stock bootloader sources?
                  >
                  > I thought these weren't available? I searched and did not find them.
                  > I was told last night that the source.zip file included them but I
                  > looked in there and didn't see them.
                  >
                  > If they are available it would certainly help.
                  >
                  > > > I am posting to get feedback on the priorities of items on the
                  >
                  > TODO list.
                  >
                  > > > How important is netboot? More than booting from a kernel image on
                  >
                  > disk?
                  >
                  > > > How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
                  > > > enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)
                  > >
                  > > Well, I would put more value to network than IDE support... Is this
                  > > network chip supported in u-boot?
                  >
                  > Good question. There is a rtl8169 driver in u-boot source, but none
                  > of the included device configs use it. I don't know if it works.
                  >
                  > > Great work!
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Guennadi
                  > > ---
                  > > Guennadi Liakhovetski
                  >
                  > Thanks for the AVR code, advice, and encouragment!
                  >
                  > jacques
                • Brian Waite
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                    On Wednesday 21 June 2006 5:07 pm, linuxjacques wrote:
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Waite <linwoes@...>
                    >
                    > wrote:
                    > > Great work Jaques! comments inline.
                    > >
                    > > On Wednesday 21 June 2006 12:56 pm, linuxjacques wrote:
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > >
                    > > > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
                    > > >
                    > > > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
                    > > > much still to do.
                    > > >
                    > > > What's working:
                    > > > --------------
                    > > > dram configuration (passes u-boot mtest for many hours)
                    > >
                    > > This is fantastic the rest will just fall into place.
                    >
                    > Thanks, I agree getting all the memory config registers right
                    > was a big milestone for me.
                    >
                    > > > How complete does AVR support need to be - is disabling the watchdog
                    > > > enough? (kernel can re-enable it if it wants)
                    > >
                    > > I think disable until boot is fine.
                    >
                    > Cool. That's the easiest to implement. :-D
                    >
                    > > > Are there unlisted features/functionality people need/want?
                    > >
                    > > I think it is a second order type thing but I want u-boot to have
                    >
                    > redundent
                    >
                    > > kernel boot. IE Try to boot kernel A, but if it fails, boot kernel B
                    >
                    > from
                    >
                    > > FLASH. This will help protect from future bricking as you only
                    >
                    > change kernel
                    >
                    > > A and B is failsafe.
                    >
                    > Are you saying two kernels in flash or one on hard disk and one in flash?

                    I have used u-boot in quite a few embedded designs. It has some vey important
                    failsafes in it.
                    In the past (and I think it stands with the LS and Kuro) the most important
                    rule is "The user shall not destroy the system by doing something they should
                    be able to do". Ok now throw out the obvious "a user can always brick the
                    system" and you think of this failsafe paradigm.

                    We will call the 2 kernels A and B. B is a filasafe kernel. It is placed in
                    FLASH and is the BUffalo/Revolution supported kernel. It can boot EM mode
                    always and can boot the OS also. Once programmed this does not get touched.
                    Ideally the FLASH provide per-sector lock bits. The other kernel, kernel A is
                    the kernel we really want to run. This can be a dup of kernel B or the
                    lastest and greatest 2.6.X kernel. This can be located in FLASH,disk,net,
                    whereever. You can set the u-boot env to get the kernel from whereever you
                    want. If kernel A fails to boot for some reason like it is gone or corrupt,
                    you fall back to the default kernel A and now you are able to at least log
                    into the box and hopefully fix your issues without a serial port.

                    Jump onto #kbox on irc.freenode.net and we can chat about u-boot. It is
                    amazingly powerful.
                    Sorry for the long explanation.
                    Brian
                    > I'll check what failsafe features u-boot may already have.
                    >
                    > jacques
                  • linuxjacques
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                      I'm not sure what I changed but now PCI auto-config is working.
                      I don't exactly understand its choice of I/O memory locations,
                      but at this point I'm not inclined to argue. :-)

                      I spent some time banging on the rtl8169 driver but it's really
                      bit-rotted. I found one obvious error right away but fixing it
                      made no difference (even after PCI auto-config started working).
                      This will take more work. :-\

                      I looked at Guennadi's kernel patch and I think it's exactly
                      what I need to get the AVR watchdog disable working.
                      I ran out of time on actually implementing it tho.
                      Hopefully tonight.

                      I fixed the flash sector mapping. I had forgotten it's
                      bottom-boot which means smaller (8 x 8kB) sectors at the
                      start of memory. The idea is you can save flash space
                      by putting the bootloader there, but that is not applicable
                      to this hardware design (reset to 0xfff00000).

                      The good news is I got the IDE and ext2fs drivers working.
                      I can see the hard drive, its partitions, and even look at
                      files on the ext2 filesystems. :-D

                      I'm appending a minicom session capture. I hope it's not too long.

                      jacques

                      U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jun 22 2006 - 07:22:40) [KuroHG]

                      CPU: MPC8245 Revision 1.4 at 262.144 MHz: 16 kB I-Cache 16 kB D-Cache
                      Board: Kurobox HG local bus at 131.072 MHz
                      DRAM: 128 MB
                      FLASH: manuf_id = 20, device_id = 5d
                      flash_id = 0x0004005D
                      4 MB
                      PCI Autoconfig: Memory region: [80000000-fcffffff]
                      PCI Autoconfig: I/O region: [0-7fffff]
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, I/O, size=0x100, address=0x0
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 1, Mem, size=0x100, address=0x80000000
                      00 0b 10ec 8169 0200 10
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, I/O, size=0x8, address=0x100
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 1, I/O, size=0x4, address=0x108
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 2, I/O, size=0x8, address=0x110
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 3, I/O, size=0x4, address=0x118
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 4, I/O, size=0x10, address=0x120
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 5, Mem, size=0x100, address=0x80000100
                      00 0c 1095 0680 0101 00
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, Mem, size=0x1000, address=0x80001000
                      00 0e 1033 0035 0c03 00
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, Mem, size=0x1000, address=0x80002000
                      00 0e 1033 0035 0c03 00
                      PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, Mem, size=0x100, address=0x80003000
                      00 0e 1033 00e0 0c03 00
                      In: serial
                      Out: serial
                      Err: serial
                      Net: rtl_init
                      rtl8169_init_board
                      MAC Address:00:0d:0b:99:0e:ae
                      RTL8169#0: at ioaddr 0x80000000
                      RTL8169#0: Auto-negotiation Enabled.
                      RTL8169#0: 100Mbps Full-duplex operation.
                      RTL8169#0
                      IDE: Bus 0: OK
                      Device 0: Model: WDC WD2500BB-98GUC0 Firm: 08.02D08 Ser#:
                      WD-WCAL76987366
                      Type: Hard Disk
                      Capacity: 131071.9 MB = 127.9 GB (268435455 x 512)
                      Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
                      KuroHG=> pci
                      Scanning PCI devices on bus 0
                      BusDevFun VendorId DeviceId Device Class Sub-Class
                      00.00.00 0x1057 0x0006 Bridge device 0x00
                      00.0b.00 0x10ec 0x8169 Network controller 0x00
                      00.0c.00 0x1095 0x0680 Mass storage controller 0x01
                      00.0e.00 0x1033 0x0035 Serial bus controller 0x03
                      00.0e.01 0x1033 0x0035 Serial bus controller 0x03
                      00.0e.02 0x1033 0x00e0 Serial bus controller 0x03
                      KuroHG=> pci header 00.0b.00
                      vendor ID = 0x10ec
                      device ID = 0x8169
                      command register = 0x0007
                      status register = 0x02b0
                      revision ID = 0x10
                      class code = 0x02 (Network controller)
                      sub class code = 0x00
                      programming interface = 0x00
                      cache line = 0x08
                      latency time = 0x80
                      header type = 0x00
                      BIST = 0x00
                      base address 0 = 0x00000001
                      base address 1 = 0x80000000
                      base address 2 = 0x00000000
                      base address 3 = 0x00000000
                      base address 4 = 0x00000000
                      base address 5 = 0x00000000
                      cardBus CIS pointer = 0x00000000
                      sub system vendor ID = 0x0000
                      sub system ID = 0x0000
                      expansion ROM base address = 0x00000000
                      interrupt line = 0x10
                      interrupt pin = 0x01
                      min Grant = 0x20
                      max Latency = 0x40
                      KuroHG=> pci header 00.0c.00
                      vendor ID = 0x1095
                      device ID = 0x0680
                      command register = 0x0007
                      status register = 0x0290
                      revision ID = 0x02
                      class code = 0x01 (Mass storage controller)
                      sub class code = 0x01
                      programming interface = 0x85
                      cache line = 0x08
                      latency time = 0x80
                      header type = 0x00
                      BIST = 0x00
                      base address 0 = 0x00000101
                      base address 1 = 0x00000109
                      base address 2 = 0x00000111
                      base address 3 = 0x00000119
                      base address 4 = 0x00000121
                      base address 5 = 0x80000100
                      cardBus CIS pointer = 0x00000000
                      sub system vendor ID = 0x1095
                      sub system ID = 0x0680
                      expansion ROM base address = 0x00000000
                      interrupt line = 0x00
                      interrupt pin = 0x01
                      min Grant = 0x00
                      max Latency = 0x00
                      KuroHG=> ping 192.168.2.2
                      rtl_halt
                      rtl_reset
                      rtl8169_init_ring
                      rtl8169_init_ring elapsed time : 3
                      rtl8169_hw_start
                      rtl8169_set_rx_mode
                      rtl8169_hw_start elapsed time : 7
                      rtl_reset elapsed time : 24
                      Using RTL8169#0 device
                      rtl_send
                      sending 42 bytes
                      tx timeout/error
                      rtl_send elapsed time : 6007
                      rtl_recv
                      rtl_send
                      sending 42 bytes
                      tx timeout/error
                      rtl_send elapsed time : 6007
                      rtl_halt
                      ping failed; host 192.168.2.2 is not alive
                      KuroHG=> ide info

                      IDE device 0: Model: WDC WD2500BB-98GUC0 Firm: 08.02D08 Ser#:
                      WD-WCAL76987366
                      Type: Hard Disk
                      Capacity: 131071.9 MB = 127.9 GB (268435455 x 512)
                      KuroHG=> ide part

                      Partition Map for IDE device 0 -- Partition Type: DOS

                      Partition Start Sector Num Sectors Type
                      1 63 771057 83
                      2 771120 1060290 82
                      3 1831410 486416072 83
                      4 488247482 144583 83
                      KuroHG=> ext2ls ide 0:1 /etc
                      <DIR> 2048 .
                      <DIR> 1024 ..
                      <DIR> 1024 default
                      <DIR> 1024 opt
                      <DIR> 1024 init.d
                      <DIR> 1024 rc.d
                      426 fstab
                      63 hosts
                      421 inputrc
                      54 issue
                      <SYM> 7 issue.net
                      86 motd
                      438 profile
                      81 resolv.conf
                      18 shells
                      301 group
                      392 passwd
                      <DIR> 1024 skel
                      46 host.conf
                      468 nsswitch.conf
                      1595 rpc
                      <DIR> 1024 security
                      15414 services
                      <DIR> 1024 dhcpc
                      <DIR> 1024 mgetty
                      <DIR> 1024 atalk
                      725 limits
                      27 login.access
                      9163 login.defs
                      <DIR> 1024 pam.d
                      345 porttime
                      <SYM> 27 localtime
                      192 suauth
                      <DIR> 1024 logrotate.d
                      119 syslog.conf
                      2028 inittab
                      275 modules.conf
                      <DIR> 1024 samba
                      <DIR> 1024 tmp
                      <DIR> 1024 cron.d
                      55 exports
                      20515 lpd.conf
                      85 thttpd.conf
                      1748 protocols
                      249 crontab
                      <SYM> 20 hosts.allow
                      13 ap_servd.log
                      <DIR> 1024 network
                      13 hosts.deny
                      61 ap_servd.conf
                      235 securetty
                      259 printcap
                      <DIR> 1024 cron
                      114 linkstation_release
                      <SYM> 14 mounts
                      262 logrotate.conf
                      <DIR> 1024 melco
                      11315 lpd.perms
                      <DIR> 1024 murasaki
                      244 modules
                      0 buid_date
                      315 pipsrc
                      134 ekpdrc
                      <DIR> 1024 pcast
                      1356 proftpd.conf
                      59 ftpusers
                      <DIR> 1024 wu-ftpd
                      104 thttpd2.conf
                      21 sysctl.conf
                      247 mtab
                      1356 proftpd.conf.bak
                      60 ioctl.save
                      0 .pwd.lock
                      343 passwd-
                      293 group-
                      KuroHG=> ext2load ide 0:1 0x00800000 /etc/lpd.conf

                      20515 bytes read
                      KuroHG=> md 0x00800000
                      00800000: 23206c70 642e636f 6e660a23 20564552 # lpd.conf.# VER
                      00800010: 53494f4e 3d332e38 2e32300a 23206c70 SION=3.8.20.# lp
                      00800020: 642e636f 6e662067 656e6572 61746564 d.conf generated
                      00800030: 2066726f 6d20206f 6e205765 64204d61 from on Wed Ma
                      00800040: 72202035 2030363a 30323a32 39205554 r 5 06:02:29 UT
                      00800050: 43203230 30330a23 20202054 68652076 C 2003.# The v
                      00800060: 616c7565 7320696e 20746869 73206669 alues in this fi
                      00800070: 6c652061 72652074 68652064 65666175 le are the defau
                      00800080: 6c742076 616c7565 732e0a23 20202049 lt values..# I
                      00800090: 6620796f 75206d6f 64696679 20746865 f you modify the
                      008000a0: 2066696c 652c2020 73657420 74686520 file, set the
                      008000b0: 76616c75 6520746f 20736f6d 65746869 value to somethi
                      008000c0: 6e67206f 74686572 20746861 6e207468 ng other than th
                      008000d0: 65206465 6661756c 740a2320 2020466f e default.# Fo
                      008000e0: 72206578 616d706c 652c0a23 20202020 r example,.#
                      008000f0: 20232064 65666175 6c742066 6f726365 # default force
                      KuroHG=> flinfo

                      Bank # 1:
                      Brand: STM Type: M29DW324DB (32 Mbit, bottom boot sect)
                      Size: 4096 KB in 71 Sectors
                      Sector Start Addresses:
                      FFC00000 FFC02000 FFC04000 FFC06000 FFC08000
                      FFC0A000 FFC0C000 FFC0E000 FFC10000 FFC20000
                      FFC30000 FFC40000 FFC50000 FFC60000 FFC70000
                      FFC80000 FFC90000 FFCA0000 FFCB0000 FFCC0000
                      FFCD0000 FFCE0000 FFCF0000 FFD00000 FFD10000
                      FFD20000 FFD30000 FFD40000 FFD50000 FFD60000
                      FFD70000 FFD80000 FFD90000 FFDA0000 FFDB0000
                      FFDC0000 FFDD0000 FFDE0000 FFDF0000 FFE00000
                      FFE10000 FFE20000 FFE30000 FFE40000 FFE50000
                      FFE60000 FFE70000 FFE80000 FFE90000 FFEA0000
                      FFEB0000 FFEC0000 FFED0000 E FFEE0000 E FFEF0000 E
                      FFF00000 FFF10000 FFF20000 FFF30000 FFF40000 E
                      FFF50000 E FFF60000 E FFF70000 FFF80000 E FFF90000 E
                      FFFA0000 E FFFB0000 E FFFC0000 E FFFD0000 E FFFE0000 E
                      FFFF0000 E
                      KuroHG=> help
                      ? - alias for 'help'
                      base - print or set address offset
                      bdinfo - print Board Info structure
                      bootm - boot application image from memory
                      bootp - boot image via network using BootP/TFTP protocol
                      cmp - memory compare
                      coninfo - print console devices and information
                      cp - memory copy
                      crc32 - checksum calculation
                      diskboot- boot from IDE device
                      echo - echo args to console
                      erase - erase FLASH memory
                      ext2load- load binary file from a Ext2 filesystem
                      ext2ls - list files in a directory (default /)
                      flinfo - print FLASH memory information
                      go - start application at address 'addr'
                      help - print online help
                      ide - IDE sub-system
                      iminfo - print header information for application image
                      loadb - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
                      loads - load S-Record file over serial line
                      loady - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
                      loop - infinite loop on address range
                      md - memory display
                      mm - memory modify (auto-incrementing)
                      mtest - simple RAM test
                      mw - memory write (fill)
                      nm - memory modify (constant address)
                      pci - list and access PCI Configuration Space
                      ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
                      printenv- print environment variables
                      protect - enable or disable FLASH write protection
                      rarpboot- boot image via network using RARP/TFTP protocol
                      reset - Perform RESET of the CPU
                      run - run commands in an environment variable
                      saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
                      setenv - set environment variables
                      tftpboot- boot image via network using TFTP protocol
                      version - print monitor version
                      KuroHG=> help ide
                      ide reset - reset IDE controller
                      ide info - show available IDE devices
                      ide device [dev] - show or set current device
                      ide part [dev] - print partition table of one or all IDE devices
                      ide read addr blk# cnt
                      ide write addr blk# cnt - read/write `cnt' blocks starting at block `blk#'
                      to/from memory address `addr'

                      KuroHG=> help pci
                      pci [bus] [long]
                      - short or long list of PCI devices on bus 'bus'
                      pci header b.d.f
                      - show header of PCI device 'bus.device.function'
                      pci display[.b, .w, .l] b.d.f [address] [# of objects]
                      - display PCI configuration space (CFG)
                      pci next[.b, .w, .l] b.d.f address
                      - modify, read and keep CFG address
                      pci modify[.b, .w, .l] b.d.f address
                      - modify, auto increment CFG address
                      pci write[.b, .w, .l] b.d.f address value
                      - write to CFG address

                      KuroHG=>
                    • Art Age Software
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                        This is fantastic! Is this the same U-Boot project going on in the kurobox forums? If not, perhaps you should combine forces?
                      • linuxjacques
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                          wrote:

                          > On Wednesday 21 June 2006 5:07 pm, linuxjacques wrote:
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Waite <linwoes@>

                          > > > I think it is a second order type thing but I want u-boot to
                          have redundent
                          > > > kernel boot. IE Try to boot kernel A, but if it fails, boot kernel B
                          > > from FLASH. This will help protect from future bricking as you only
                          > > change kernel
                          > >
                          > > > A and B is failsafe.
                          > >
                          > > Are you saying two kernels in flash or one on hard disk and one in
                          flash?

                          > I have used u-boot in quite a few embedded designs. It has some vey
                          important
                          > failsafes in it.
                          > In the past (and I think it stands with the LS and Kuro) the most
                          important
                          > rule is "The user shall not destroy the system by doing something
                          they should
                          > be able to do". Ok now throw out the obvious "a user can always
                          brick the
                          > system" and you think of this failsafe paradigm.
                          >
                          > We will call the 2 kernels A and B. B is a filasafe kernel. It is
                          placed in
                          > FLASH and is the BUffalo/Revolution supported kernel. It can boot EM
                          mode
                          > always and can boot the OS also. Once programmed this does not get
                          touched.
                          > Ideally the FLASH provide per-sector lock bits. The other kernel,
                          kernel A is
                          > the kernel we really want to run. This can be a dup of kernel B or the
                          > lastest and greatest 2.6.X kernel. This can be located in
                          FLASH,disk,net,
                          > whereever. You can set the u-boot env to get the kernel from
                          whereever you
                          > want. If kernel A fails to boot for some reason like it is gone or
                          corrupt,
                          > you fall back to the default kernel A and now you are able to at
                          least log
                          > into the box and hopefully fix your issues without a serial port.

                          This sounds like a good scheme.

                          > Jump onto #kbox on irc.freenode.net and we can chat about u-boot. It is
                          > amazingly powerful.
                          > Sorry for the long explanation.
                          > Brian

                          I have been hanging out on #kbox lately, but my access from home is
                          down now and I can't do it from work. I will be at a friend's house
                          tonight so I hope to be on from there.
                          I would definitely like to talk more about this.

                          BTW, I have tried for three days to register on kurobox.com forums.
                          When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I haven't been
                          posting there.

                          jacques
                        • linuxjacques
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                            <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

                            > > > Did you have a look at the stock bootloader sources?
                            > >
                            > > I thought these weren't available? I searched and did not find them.
                            > > I was told last night that the source.zip file included them but I
                            > > looked in there and didn't see them.
                            > >
                            > > If they are available it would certainly help.
                            >
                            > Look at
                            >
                            > http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/source_code/powerpc-hdhglan_gpl.zip
                            >
                            > there are linux-kernel sources there as
                            > linux-2.4.20_mvl31_hd-hglan-2.0.2.tar.gz, there you get
                            > linux-2.4.20_hglan_htgl/arch/ppc/boot.tgz which, I think, is some
                            version
                            > of the bootloader... Somebody on the IRC told me that.
                            >
                            > Good luck
                            > Guennadi
                            > ---
                            > Guennadi Liakhovetski

                            Wow. Thanks. LOL this would have saved me about five days had I known
                            about it sooner. :-)

                            but it doesn't seem to include driver source for net nor IDE. :-(

                            jacques
                          • av8r2000
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                              Looking great! I was planning on porting u-boot to the
                              Kurobox/Linkstation myself but it looks like there's a lot of
                              progress being made with it already!

                              Are you using javascout's patch from kurobox.com? Regardless, you
                              might want to coordinate with him. It sounds like there's quite a
                              bit of activity going on with this right now in the kurobox.com
                              forums.

                              -Jon

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "linuxjacques"

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "av8r2000" <jon.yahoo@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Looking great! I was planning on porting u-boot to the
                                > Kurobox/Linkstation myself but it looks like there's a lot of
                                > progress being made with it already!
                                >
                                > Are you using javascout's patch from kurobox.com? Regardless, you
                                > might want to coordinate with him. It sounds like there's quite a
                                > bit of activity going on with this right now in the kurobox.com
                                > forums.
                                >
                                > -Jon

                                No, I'm not using javascout's patch.

                                I would love to post on the kurobox.com forums but I have been trying
                                to register for three days and "submit" on the form just hangs forever.

                                I am trying for the bounty (I really want a Terastation Pro) so
                                against all my "release early, release often" and "collaborate"
                                instincts I think it would be unwise to release code before the
                                bounty is decided one way or the other.

                                jacques
                              • Brian Waite
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006

                                  > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on kurobox.com forums.
                                  > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I haven't been
                                  > posting there.

                                  I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and was able to create an
                                  account and activate. I also saw some 50 registration in this month alone.
                                  (Many are psammers with no more account)

                                  Thanks
                                  Brian
                                  > jacques
                                • linuxjacques
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on kurobox.com forums.
                                    > > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I haven't been
                                    > > posting there.
                                    > >
                                    > I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and was able to create an
                                    > account and activate. I also saw some 50 registration in this month
                                    alone.
                                    > (Many are psammers with no more account)

                                    hmm, is there something about the form which would cause it to not work
                                    when submitted from behind a corporate firewall? Such as being a
                                    mailto: action? I looked at the source and it looks like it runs a
                                    php script so I figured that wasn't the problem.

                                    If I can get internet access tonight, I'll try registering again.

                                    jacques
                                  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                      On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:

                                      > I looked at Guennadi's kernel patch and I think it's exactly
                                      > what I need to get the AVR watchdog disable working.

                                      Glad if it helps, but - wouldn't it be better to use the u-boot's serial
                                      driver for that? Presumably there, unlike in the kernel, you don't have
                                      the driver-layering problem, no ttys, line-disciplines... I only looked at
                                      u-boot's sources once one or two years ago, so, maybe I am talking
                                      nonsense. Does u-boot use interrupts?

                                      Thanks
                                      Guennadi
                                      ---
                                      Guennadi Liakhovetski
                                    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                        Are Cookies enabled?

                                        Some websites hang. Others check and complain. Still
                                        others let you log in with or without cookies.

                                        --- Brian Waite <linwoes@...> wrote:

                                        > > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on
                                        > kurobox.com forums.
                                        > > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I
                                        > haven't been
                                        > > posting there.
                                        > >
                                        > I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and
                                        > was able to create an
                                        > account and activate. I also saw some 50
                                        > registration in this month alone.
                                        > (Many are psammers with no more account)
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        > Brian
                                        > > jacques

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • linuxjacques
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 23, 2006
                                          I managed to register once I was not behind the corporate firewall.
                                          Maybe the form is using a mailto: action which would be blocked
                                          (port 25 outgoing) by our firewall.

                                          jacques

                                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                                          <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                                          > Are Cookies enabled?
                                          >
                                          > Some websites hang. Others check and complain. Still
                                          > others let you log in with or without cookies.
                                          >
                                          > --- Brian Waite <linwoes@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > > BTW, I have tried for three days to register on
                                          > > kurobox.com forums.
                                          > > > When I hit "submit" it hangs forever. That's why I
                                          > > haven't been
                                          > > > posting there.
                                          > > >
                                          > > I am not sure what to tell you. I just tested and
                                          > > was able to create an
                                          > > account and activate. I also saw some 50
                                          > > registration in this month alone.
                                          > > (Many are psammers with no more account)
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks
                                          > > Brian
                                          > > > jacques

                                        • Guennadi Liakhovetski
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 24, 2006
                                            jacques,

                                            to your jtag problem: on bdi2000 you can configure when to assert reset,
                                            whether to let the board run or halt immediately... don't remember
                                            exactly, has been long since. Could anything there help you? I think, I
                                            had this problem with bdi2000, it is just too intelligent. I used a simple
                                            jtag programmer and it worked.

                                            Thanks
                                            Guennadi
                                            ---
                                            Guennadi Liakhovetski
                                          • mmsupport staff

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 14 3:18 PM
                                                On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:

                                                > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
                                                >
                                                > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
                                                > much still to do.

                                                Jacques, how long does it take with your bdi2000 to flash u-boot over
                                                JTag?

                                                Thanks
                                                Guennadi
                                                ---
                                                Guennadi Liakhovetski
                                              • Guennadi Liakhovetski
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 15 2:05 AM
                                                  On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

                                                  > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, linuxjacques wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > I have been working on porting u-boot to the Linkstation HG.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > At this point I can boot a kernel from flash, but there is
                                                  > > much still to do.
                                                  >
                                                  > Jacques, how long does it take with your bdi2000 to flash u-boot over
                                                  > JTag?

                                                  Just found this AN, looks useful and includes source code, one could
                                                  compare to the jtag bus-driver. They say 73 bytes/sec on a 25MHz 486, so,
                                                  on a 1GHz "should" be 3kB/s ~ 180kB/min:

                                                  http://www.freescale.com/files/archives/doc/app_note/AN1264.pdf

                                                  Thanks
                                                  Guennadi
                                                  ---