twonky and swisscenter for avel linkplayer?

  • robertdotnagle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
      wow, i just had a lightbulb moment after reading these replies. What
      you're saying is that you'll be able to see the network media
      software interface on your TV (if you have iodata linkplayer). I never
      realized that. That is cool and definitely a reason to consider going
      with the open firmware. Also, having more than one network media
      player gives me some flexibility. (this might even be a reason to
      upgrade to the 300 gigs).

      i worry about installation issues though. I don't want the advantages
      of having a network media station to overshadow my main need to run a
      backup storage solution.

      Some other questions:

      a) paths. generally are there any rules/conventions for where you keep
      your backup files and where you keep your media files? I see in
      swissplayer you are able to hardcode paths
      http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/images/gallery/config/config_02.png

      b)when I connect an external usb hard drive to linkstation, how does
      this show up in the file system? Are there lots of latency issues with
      a usb external drive (the buffalo linkplayer manual suggests that usb
      external drives are mainly backups for the main nas. Is that true?)

      c)here's a dumb question about media hardware (in my case the
      Linkplayer DVD player). My remote control for it has a lot of
      buttons, but it can't really function as a keyboard. (there are number
      buttons which double as alphabet buttons too apparently). Do the
      software interfaces for network media players just involve a lot of
      buttons (Play, Resume, Exit, etc), or are there lots of occasions
      where you need to be able to type more complicated things like words?

      d)just out of curiousity, has anyone tried running mythtv, freevo or
      other things on linkstation?

      rj

      rj