Re: newbie asks: ext3 vs. ntfs/openlink vs. stock firmware/ gigabit vs. ethernet

  • risimmonsuk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "robertdotnagle"
      <idiotprogrammer@...> wrote:

      > I'm pleasantly surprised that for the Avel Linkstation, the FAT32 file
      > limitation applies only when you hook up to usb interface.
      >
      > If you hook it up via the ethernet port, apparently it can read NTFS
      > and ext2.
      >
      > http://www.iodata.com/usa/forum/showthread.php?t=1315
      >
      > So if linkstation has ext3 files which are served via samba, wouldn't
      > that be good enough? Does anyone want to rain on my parade?
      >
      > If I could get it to work, it would be really cool.
      >
      > rj

      Twonkyvision media server apparently supports avel Linkplayer
      (www.twonkyvision.com). This comes with pre-compiled binaries for
      either MIPS or PowerPC processor Linkstations. To install this you'd
      need OpenLink to get root access. It's not free, but it's pretty
      cheap, and it seems to do the trick (I use it to serve music to my
      Soundbridge).

      Can't really help with your other questions i'm afraid!
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
        --- robertdotnagle <idiotprogrammer@...>
        wrote:

        <snip>
        > e)on neweggg I have a choice between two buffalo 250
        > gig drives.
        > Gigabit ethernet for $25 extra. Are modems or
        > routers these days
        > equipped with gigabit support these days? (I don't
        > recall seeing this).
        <snip>

        It's not essential that a modem or router be equipped
        with a gigabit port, but if you want to utilize
        gigabit speeds the rest of your network needs to be
        gigabit "certified". Meaning cabeling is much more
        stringent.

        The modem/router would be plugged into the uplink port
        (10/100/1000) on a gigabit hub/switch and would be
        essentially a low-speed device. All LAN traffic could
        be gigabit.

        Be careful with any selection because you can get
        gigabit only switches or 10/100/1000 or just gigabit
        uplink ports with 10/100 normal ports which is the
        most common configuration.

        <snip>

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • robertdotnagle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
          wow, i just had a lightbulb moment after reading these replies. What
          you're saying is that you'll be able to see the network media
          software interface on your TV (if you have iodata linkplayer). I never
          realized that. That is cool and definitely a reason to consider going
          with the open firmware. Also, having more than one network media
          player gives me some flexibility. (this might even be a reason to
          upgrade to the 300 gigs).

          i worry about installation issues though. I don't want the advantages
          of having a network media station to overshadow my main need to run a
          backup storage solution.

          Some other questions:

          a) paths. generally are there any rules/conventions for where you keep
          your backup files and where you keep your media files? I see in
          swissplayer you are able to hardcode paths
          http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/images/gallery/config/config_02.png

          b)when I connect an external usb hard drive to linkstation, how does
          this show up in the file system? Are there lots of latency issues with
          a usb external drive (the buffalo linkplayer manual suggests that usb
          external drives are mainly backups for the main nas. Is that true?)

          c)here's a dumb question about media hardware (in my case the
          Linkplayer DVD player). My remote control for it has a lot of
          buttons, but it can't really function as a keyboard. (there are number
          buttons which double as alphabet buttons too apparently). Do the
          software interfaces for network media players just involve a lot of
          buttons (Play, Resume, Exit, etc), or are there lots of occasions
          where you need to be able to type more complicated things like words?

          d)just out of curiousity, has anyone tried running mythtv, freevo or
          other things on linkstation?

          rj

          rj