Re: newbie asks: ext3 vs. ntfs/openlink vs. stock firmware/ gigabit

  • linkstation.yahoo@datenbankdesign.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2006
      There is a really great media player software out there with support for
      avel linkplayer - SwissCenter (www.swisscenter.co.uk). Accessing your
      media files through a nice interface with search and playlists
      capability is _way_ better than accessing your media directly via
      network. You also get the bonus of weather forecasts displayed by your
      linkplayer, also photo albums with automatic thumbnailing etc.

      I am running SwissCenter on my LinkStation 250, which works flawlessly
      and quite fast. Installation requires some manual compilation (apache,
      php4, mysql), but you are apparently no linux newbie. Obviously you have
      to install the openlink firmware first.

      Concerning which version I would go for the gigabit one, because it uses
      a powerpc processor, which seems to be more broadly supported. The
      "normal" version uses a mips processor.

      HTH, Burn