Re: Why donations should no longer go to linkstationwiki.org

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:

      > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
      > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
      > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
      > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
      > >
      > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
      > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
      > > there:
      > >
      > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
      > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
      > > this community.
      > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
      > > but after this he never could reach him.
      > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
      > > the project."
      >
      > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
      > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
      > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
      > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
      > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
      >
      > al3ks75.

      i just want to clarify here some things.

      as you mentioned frontalot has vanished at end of october....

      we, in fact flavoie + theWitness, tried to call + email + voicemail
      him without big success.
      -> I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO DONATE ANY MONEY TO
      WWW.LINKSTATIONWIKI.ORG
      (sorry about the big letters ...but now everyone will see my opinion :) ).

      It does not look like that he will show up here or in the .org-forums
      at all. the main reason why i initiated the wiki-migration was because
      www.linkstationwiki.org expires on the 6th of July. the donations were
      another reason why i wanted to move the information to a new
      location....i am sure frontalot gained enough money....it was very
      nice what he did.....but i cannot understand why he vanished and left
      us in a such terrible situation....

      development of openlink also freezed....i tried to get out new
      versions, but it is hard to persuade someone that the newer images are
      also stable and so on....i mean when the wiki states something
      different....

      if you want to donate to the community then donate to the new wiki.
      I manage the donations. i registered the new account with donations.
      and to make you believe that i am very interested in keeping
      everything alive just look here:

      http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=stats&top=0&days=30&lst=1
      &
      http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=userinfo&user=8
      &
      http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/

      do not get disappointed by my name here in the yahoo-group. in fact
      the reason is that the group was here long before the wiki....

      if you want to help to keep the wiki + forum alive at a new central
      location then help us by looking at www.linkstationwiki.net and maybe
      port some articles from www.linkstationwiki.org to the new wiki.

      Any help is appreciated.
      All of you are welcome at the new site.

      best regards
      -- mindbender
      www.linkstationwiki.net -> admin
    • Francois Lavoie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
        wrote:

        > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
        > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of
        openlink and
        > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going
        > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
        > >
        > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
        > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question
        over
        > > there:
        > >
        > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that
        donation
        > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again
        for
        > > this community.
        > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his
        cellphone
        > > but after this he never could reach him.
        > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go
        towards
        > > the project."
        >
        > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
        > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I
        don't
        > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
        > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
        > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
        >
        > al3ks75.

        Yeah, it's a bit tricky though, because it is a Donation.
        You really should not expect anything in return, so your case
        with Paypal might be hard. But if you think you have a good case,
        i will be glad to help you out by filing the same kind of
        complaint with Paypal, because i, too, never saw that my donation
        go to the project. I expect several others did that too, so that
        might help too.

        We are moving to linkstationwiki.net because we have no choice.
        On July 6th, linkstationwiki.org will expire and all attempts to
        contact the owner, frontalot, failed. During _the_ one phone
        conversation TheWitness had with frontalot, we were promised
        a renewal & transfer of the domain, and donations transfer.
        One month later, nothing was done & we were not given alternate
        contact emails or numbers.

        So it's fair to say that until we hear from frontalot and get back
        the Donation money, those donations are not going to the right place.

        Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
        which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
        single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred & andre
        with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
        Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
        access.

        -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net
      • al3ks75
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 18, 2006
          Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
          will try and help out where I can.

          I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
          will post any response.

          al3ks75.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
            I doubt Paypal has an email address you can email to ;)

            But they have a Resolution Center, which is what I think you should
            be using in your case. My Account->Resolution Center

            wrote:

            > Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
            > will try and help out where I can.
            >
            > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
            > will post any response.
            >
            > al3ks75.
            >
            > > Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
            > > which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
            > > single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred &
            andre
            > > with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
            > > Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
            > > access.
            > >
            > > -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net

          • Andrew Becherer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
              On Jun 18, 2006, at 7:48 AM, al3ks75 wrote:

              > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
              > will post any response.

              If you are serious about getting your money back and you used a
              credit card contact the bank that issued your credit card. You can
              initiated a chargeback process. Basically just tell your issuing bank
              that you were duped, that you did not get what you paid for. You
              intended to donate money to support a software project but the money
              did not reach its intended donation. Credit card disputes are heavily
              tilted toward the cardholder (especially during card not present
              transactions) and I expect your bank could get your money back.

              Your bank may or may not give you provisional credit depending upon
              how they feel about your particular case. Your issuing bank will
              contact the merchant's acquiring bank (Paypal) and go through the
              chargeback protocol. You may have to fill out a form or submit a
              statement. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

              - Andrew B