Why donations should no longer go to linkstationwiki.org

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
      > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
      > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
      > someone who will actually put it to good use?

      I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
      members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
      there:

      "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
      will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
      this community.
      TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
      but after this he never could reach him.
      Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
      the project."

      (see http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_1032_0.html for this quote and
      for more info on what has happened.)

      I think that he is correct. The LS Community will shift to the new
      Website (.net, not .org), these are the people who did all the work
      over the last 1,5 years or so. While we all appreciate what frontalot
      has done to get the community going, I personally do not really
      understand why he is letting it all end up this way. He never answered
      to more recent questions in his own forum website, his last post is of
      october 2005. He does not update the donations sum on the webpage
      since quite a long time. Etc. Etc. While he seems to be well alive and
      collecting donations.

      Call it fraud (like Johannes) or not, I would not donate to
      linkstationwiki.org.

      Best,
      h.
    • al3ks75
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
        > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
        > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
        > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
        > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
        >
        > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
        > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
        > there:
        >
        > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
        > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
        > this community.
        > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
        > but after this he never could reach him.
        > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
        > the project."

        I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
        some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
        think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
        has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
        lawyer so I don't know what can be done.

        al3ks75.
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:

          > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
          > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
          > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
          > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
          > >
          > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
          > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
          > > there:
          > >
          > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
          > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
          > > this community.
          > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
          > > but after this he never could reach him.
          > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
          > > the project."
          >
          > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
          > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
          > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
          > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
          > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
          >
          > al3ks75.

          i just want to clarify here some things.

          as you mentioned frontalot has vanished at end of october....

          we, in fact flavoie + theWitness, tried to call + email + voicemail
          him without big success.
          -> I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO DONATE ANY MONEY TO
          WWW.LINKSTATIONWIKI.ORG
          (sorry about the big letters ...but now everyone will see my opinion :) ).

          It does not look like that he will show up here or in the .org-forums
          at all. the main reason why i initiated the wiki-migration was because
          www.linkstationwiki.org expires on the 6th of July. the donations were
          another reason why i wanted to move the information to a new
          location....i am sure frontalot gained enough money....it was very
          nice what he did.....but i cannot understand why he vanished and left
          us in a such terrible situation....

          development of openlink also freezed....i tried to get out new
          versions, but it is hard to persuade someone that the newer images are
          also stable and so on....i mean when the wiki states something
          different....

          if you want to donate to the community then donate to the new wiki.
          I manage the donations. i registered the new account with donations.
          and to make you believe that i am very interested in keeping
          everything alive just look here:

          http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=stats&top=0&days=30&lst=1
          &
          http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=userinfo&user=8
          &
          http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/

          do not get disappointed by my name here in the yahoo-group. in fact
          the reason is that the group was here long before the wiki....

          if you want to help to keep the wiki + forum alive at a new central
          location then help us by looking at www.linkstationwiki.net and maybe
          port some articles from www.linkstationwiki.org to the new wiki.

          Any help is appreciated.
          All of you are welcome at the new site.

          best regards
          -- mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net -> admin
        • Francois Lavoie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
            wrote:

            > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
            > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of
            openlink and
            > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going
            > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
            > >
            > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
            > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question
            over
            > > there:
            > >
            > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that
            donation
            > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again
            for
            > > this community.
            > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his
            cellphone
            > > but after this he never could reach him.
            > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go
            towards
            > > the project."
            >
            > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
            > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I
            don't
            > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
            > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
            > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
            >
            > al3ks75.

            Yeah, it's a bit tricky though, because it is a Donation.
            You really should not expect anything in return, so your case
            with Paypal might be hard. But if you think you have a good case,
            i will be glad to help you out by filing the same kind of
            complaint with Paypal, because i, too, never saw that my donation
            go to the project. I expect several others did that too, so that
            might help too.

            We are moving to linkstationwiki.net because we have no choice.
            On July 6th, linkstationwiki.org will expire and all attempts to
            contact the owner, frontalot, failed. During _the_ one phone
            conversation TheWitness had with frontalot, we were promised
            a renewal & transfer of the domain, and donations transfer.
            One month later, nothing was done & we were not given alternate
            contact emails or numbers.

            So it's fair to say that until we hear from frontalot and get back
            the Donation money, those donations are not going to the right place.

            Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
            which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
            single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred & andre
            with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
            Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
            access.

            -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net
          • al3ks75
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 18, 2006
              Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
              will try and help out where I can.

              I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
              will post any response.

              al3ks75.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
                I doubt Paypal has an email address you can email to ;)

                But they have a Resolution Center, which is what I think you should
                be using in your case. My Account->Resolution Center

                wrote:

                > Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
                > will try and help out where I can.
                >
                > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                > will post any response.
                >
                > al3ks75.
                >
                > > Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
                > > which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
                > > single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred &
                andre
                > > with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
                > > Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
                > > access.
                > >
                > > -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net

              • Andrew Becherer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
                  On Jun 18, 2006, at 7:48 AM, al3ks75 wrote:

                  > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                  > will post any response.

                  If you are serious about getting your money back and you used a
                  credit card contact the bank that issued your credit card. You can
                  initiated a chargeback process. Basically just tell your issuing bank
                  that you were duped, that you did not get what you paid for. You
                  intended to donate money to support a software project but the money
                  did not reach its intended donation. Credit card disputes are heavily
                  tilted toward the cardholder (especially during card not present
                  transactions) and I expect your bank could get your money back.

                  Your bank may or may not give you provisional credit depending upon
                  how they feel about your particular case. Your issuing bank will
                  contact the merchant's acquiring bank (Paypal) and go through the
                  chargeback protocol. You may have to fill out a form or submit a
                  statement. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

                  - Andrew B