Re: Donated to linkstationwiki.org and ...

  • al3ks75
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
      > well, the dontation is to support the developers of the
      > linkstationwiki. What do you expect?

      I'm not sure if you have been reading some of the other threads in
      this group, but it appears that frontalot has dissapeared. So yes I DO
      expect the money to go to the developers. That WAS my intent.

      I became concerned when I read the following post on the
      linkstationwiki.org website: http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/1_894_0.html

      So to rephrase my initial statement a little more clearly so as not to
      imply that I was expecting something for nothing from Buffalo etc.

      Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
      linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
      other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
      someone who will actually put it to good use?

      al3ks75
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
        > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
        > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
        > someone who will actually put it to good use?

        I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
        members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
        there:

        "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
        will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
        this community.
        TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
        but after this he never could reach him.
        Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
        the project."

        (see http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_1032_0.html for this quote and
        for more info on what has happened.)

        I think that he is correct. The LS Community will shift to the new
        Website (.net, not .org), these are the people who did all the work
        over the last 1,5 years or so. While we all appreciate what frontalot
        has done to get the community going, I personally do not really
        understand why he is letting it all end up this way. He never answered
        to more recent questions in his own forum website, his last post is of
        october 2005. He does not update the donations sum on the webpage
        since quite a long time. Etc. Etc. While he seems to be well alive and
        collecting donations.

        Call it fraud (like Johannes) or not, I would not donate to
        linkstationwiki.org.

        Best,
        h.
      • al3ks75
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
          > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
          > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
          > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
          > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
          >
          > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
          > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
          > there:
          >
          > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
          > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
          > this community.
          > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
          > but after this he never could reach him.
          > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
          > the project."

          I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
          some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
          think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
          has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
          lawyer so I don't know what can be done.

          al3ks75.
        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:

            > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
            > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
            > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
            > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
            > >
            > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
            > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
            > > there:
            > >
            > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
            > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
            > > this community.
            > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
            > > but after this he never could reach him.
            > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
            > > the project."
            >
            > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
            > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
            > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
            > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
            > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
            >
            > al3ks75.

            i just want to clarify here some things.

            as you mentioned frontalot has vanished at end of october....

            we, in fact flavoie + theWitness, tried to call + email + voicemail
            him without big success.
            -> I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO DONATE ANY MONEY TO
            WWW.LINKSTATIONWIKI.ORG
            (sorry about the big letters ...but now everyone will see my opinion :) ).

            It does not look like that he will show up here or in the .org-forums
            at all. the main reason why i initiated the wiki-migration was because
            www.linkstationwiki.org expires on the 6th of July. the donations were
            another reason why i wanted to move the information to a new
            location....i am sure frontalot gained enough money....it was very
            nice what he did.....but i cannot understand why he vanished and left
            us in a such terrible situation....

            development of openlink also freezed....i tried to get out new
            versions, but it is hard to persuade someone that the newer images are
            also stable and so on....i mean when the wiki states something
            different....

            if you want to donate to the community then donate to the new wiki.
            I manage the donations. i registered the new account with donations.
            and to make you believe that i am very interested in keeping
            everything alive just look here:

            http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=stats&top=0&days=30&lst=1
            &
            http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=userinfo&user=8
            &
            http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/

            do not get disappointed by my name here in the yahoo-group. in fact
            the reason is that the group was here long before the wiki....

            if you want to help to keep the wiki + forum alive at a new central
            location then help us by looking at www.linkstationwiki.net and maybe
            port some articles from www.linkstationwiki.org to the new wiki.

            Any help is appreciated.
            All of you are welcome at the new site.

            best regards
            -- mindbender
            www.linkstationwiki.net -> admin
          • Francois Lavoie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
              wrote:

              > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
              > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of
              openlink and
              > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going
              > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
              > >
              > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
              > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question
              over
              > > there:
              > >
              > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that
              donation
              > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again
              for
              > > this community.
              > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his
              cellphone
              > > but after this he never could reach him.
              > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go
              towards
              > > the project."
              >
              > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
              > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I
              don't
              > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
              > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
              > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
              >
              > al3ks75.

              Yeah, it's a bit tricky though, because it is a Donation.
              You really should not expect anything in return, so your case
              with Paypal might be hard. But if you think you have a good case,
              i will be glad to help you out by filing the same kind of
              complaint with Paypal, because i, too, never saw that my donation
              go to the project. I expect several others did that too, so that
              might help too.

              We are moving to linkstationwiki.net because we have no choice.
              On July 6th, linkstationwiki.org will expire and all attempts to
              contact the owner, frontalot, failed. During _the_ one phone
              conversation TheWitness had with frontalot, we were promised
              a renewal & transfer of the domain, and donations transfer.
              One month later, nothing was done & we were not given alternate
              contact emails or numbers.

              So it's fair to say that until we hear from frontalot and get back
              the Donation money, those donations are not going to the right place.

              Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
              which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
              single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred & andre
              with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
              Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
              access.

              -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net
            • al3ks75
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 18, 2006
                Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
                will try and help out where I can.

                I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                will post any response.

                al3ks75.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
                  I doubt Paypal has an email address you can email to ;)

                  But they have a Resolution Center, which is what I think you should
                  be using in your case. My Account->Resolution Center

                  wrote:

                  > Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
                  > will try and help out where I can.
                  >
                  > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                  > will post any response.
                  >
                  > al3ks75.
                  >
                  > > Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
                  > > which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
                  > > single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred &
                  andre
                  > > with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
                  > > Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
                  > > access.
                  > >
                  > > -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net

                • Andrew Becherer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
                    On Jun 18, 2006, at 7:48 AM, al3ks75 wrote:

                    > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                    > will post any response.

                    If you are serious about getting your money back and you used a
                    credit card contact the bank that issued your credit card. You can
                    initiated a chargeback process. Basically just tell your issuing bank
                    that you were duped, that you did not get what you paid for. You
                    intended to donate money to support a software project but the money
                    did not reach its intended donation. Credit card disputes are heavily
                    tilted toward the cardholder (especially during card not present
                    transactions) and I expect your bank could get your money back.

                    Your bank may or may not give you provisional credit depending upon
                    how they feel about your particular case. Your issuing bank will
                    contact the merchant's acquiring bank (Paypal) and go through the
                    chargeback protocol. You may have to fill out a form or submit a
                    statement. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

                    - Andrew B