Donated to linkstationwiki.org and ...

  • al3ks75
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
      ... now what? Have I wasted my money? It seems based on the posts I
      have read here that the money is probably going to a drinking fund or
      something other than what I intended.

      I have emailed frontalot. If I don't get a response soon I am going to
      have to escalate this and notify PayPal that linkstationwiki.org is a
      fraudulent website to try and get my money back, or at least stop
      others from wasting theirs.

      If it has gone to someone who is going to put it to good use then I
      would love to know who is managing the funds.

      al3ks75.
    • Wolfram Webers
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006

        well, the dontation is to support the developers of the linkstationwiki. What do you expect?
        That you get the latest linkstation hardware? To get continuesly personal support for lifetime?
        I'm not frontalot (I don't know him personally, either). But I also donated this wiki and in my opinion
        it's not a waste of money.

        That's my thoughts about your posting.

        Bye,

        Alien

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
          > well, the dontation is to support the developers of the
          > linkstationwiki. What do you expect?

          I'm not sure if you have been reading some of the other threads in
          this group, but it appears that frontalot has dissapeared. So yes I DO
          expect the money to go to the developers. That WAS my intent.

          I became concerned when I read the following post on the
          linkstationwiki.org website: http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/1_894_0.html

          So to rephrase my initial statement a little more clearly so as not to
          imply that I was expecting something for nothing from Buffalo etc.

          Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
          linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
          other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
          someone who will actually put it to good use?

          al3ks75
        • haberschnasel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:
            > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
            > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
            > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
            > someone who will actually put it to good use?

            I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
            members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
            there:

            "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
            will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
            this community.
            TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
            but after this he never could reach him.
            Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
            the project."

            (see http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_1032_0.html for this quote and
            for more info on what has happened.)

            I think that he is correct. The LS Community will shift to the new
            Website (.net, not .org), these are the people who did all the work
            over the last 1,5 years or so. While we all appreciate what frontalot
            has done to get the community going, I personally do not really
            understand why he is letting it all end up this way. He never answered
            to more recent questions in his own forum website, his last post is of
            october 2005. He does not update the donations sum on the webpage
            since quite a long time. Etc. Etc. While he seems to be well alive and
            collecting donations.

            Call it fraud (like Johannes) or not, I would not donate to
            linkstationwiki.org.

            Best,
            h.
          • al3ks75
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
              > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
              > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
              > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
              > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
              >
              > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
              > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
              > there:
              >
              > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
              > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
              > this community.
              > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
              > but after this he never could reach him.
              > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
              > the project."

              I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
              some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
              think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
              has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
              lawyer so I don't know what can be done.

              al3ks75.
            • cherrytreeproduction
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "al3ks75" <al3ks75@...> wrote:

                > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
                > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of openlink and
                > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going to
                > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
                > >
                > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
                > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question over
                > > there:
                > >
                > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that donation
                > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again for
                > > this community.
                > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his cellphone
                > > but after this he never could reach him.
                > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go towards
                > > the project."
                >
                > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
                > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I don't
                > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
                > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
                > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
                >
                > al3ks75.

                i just want to clarify here some things.

                as you mentioned frontalot has vanished at end of october....

                we, in fact flavoie + theWitness, tried to call + email + voicemail
                him without big success.
                -> I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO DONATE ANY MONEY TO
                WWW.LINKSTATIONWIKI.ORG
                (sorry about the big letters ...but now everyone will see my opinion :) ).

                It does not look like that he will show up here or in the .org-forums
                at all. the main reason why i initiated the wiki-migration was because
                www.linkstationwiki.org expires on the 6th of July. the donations were
                another reason why i wanted to move the information to a new
                location....i am sure frontalot gained enough money....it was very
                nice what he did.....but i cannot understand why he vanished and left
                us in a such terrible situation....

                development of openlink also freezed....i tried to get out new
                versions, but it is hard to persuade someone that the newer images are
                also stable and so on....i mean when the wiki states something
                different....

                if you want to donate to the community then donate to the new wiki.
                I manage the donations. i registered the new account with donations.
                and to make you believe that i am very interested in keeping
                everything alive just look here:

                http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=stats&top=0&days=30&lst=1
                &
                http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=userinfo&user=8
                &
                http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/

                do not get disappointed by my name here in the yahoo-group. in fact
                the reason is that the group was here long before the wiki....

                if you want to help to keep the wiki + forum alive at a new central
                location then help us by looking at www.linkstationwiki.net and maybe
                port some articles from www.linkstationwiki.org to the new wiki.

                Any help is appreciated.
                All of you are welcome at the new site.

                best regards
                -- mindbender
                www.linkstationwiki.net -> admin
              • Francois Lavoie
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > > > Does anyone in this group know if I clicked the Donate button on
                  > > > linkstationwiki.ORG and donated money for the upkeep of
                  openlink and
                  > > > other linux tools, and the wiki in general, is that money going
                  > > > someone who will actually put it to good use?
                  > >
                  > > I do not think so. Flavoie, one of the core Linkstation community
                  > > members, posted as a reply to Johannes Kaiser's similar question
                  over
                  > > there:
                  > >
                  > > "I too made a donation to frontalot, but it looks like that
                  donation
                  > > will go to frontalot's personal account and never be used again
                  for
                  > > this community.
                  > > TheWitness has contacted him once in the last month on his
                  cellphone
                  > > but after this he never could reach him.
                  > > Donating on linkstationwiki.net, on the other hand, will go
                  towards
                  > > the project."
                  >
                  > I guess this is what I was trying to find out. I will give frontalot
                  > some more time before I contact PayPal about potential fraud. I
                  don't
                  > think he should be allowed to have the Donate button, because now it
                  > has turned into what 'could' be called a scam. Although I am not a
                  > lawyer so I don't know what can be done.
                  >
                  > al3ks75.

                  Yeah, it's a bit tricky though, because it is a Donation.
                  You really should not expect anything in return, so your case
                  with Paypal might be hard. But if you think you have a good case,
                  i will be glad to help you out by filing the same kind of
                  complaint with Paypal, because i, too, never saw that my donation
                  go to the project. I expect several others did that too, so that
                  might help too.

                  We are moving to linkstationwiki.net because we have no choice.
                  On July 6th, linkstationwiki.org will expire and all attempts to
                  contact the owner, frontalot, failed. During _the_ one phone
                  conversation TheWitness had with frontalot, we were promised
                  a renewal & transfer of the domain, and donations transfer.
                  One month later, nothing was done & we were not given alternate
                  contact emails or numbers.

                  So it's fair to say that until we hear from frontalot and get back
                  the Donation money, those donations are not going to the right place.

                  Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
                  which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
                  single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred & andre
                  with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
                  Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
                  access.

                  -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net
                • al3ks75
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 18, 2006
                    Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
                    will try and help out where I can.

                    I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                    will post any response.

                    al3ks75.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
                      I doubt Paypal has an email address you can email to ;)

                      But they have a Resolution Center, which is what I think you should
                      be using in your case. My Account->Resolution Center

                      wrote:

                      > Well that is good news. I am glad you guys are getting organised. I
                      > will try and help out where I can.
                      >
                      > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                      > will post any response.
                      >
                      > al3ks75.
                      >
                      > > Now the good news. linkstationwiki.net now has a new Donate button
                      > > which goes to mindbender. linkstationwiki.net's hosting account is
                      > > single-name BUT there's mindbender, flavoie (me), timtimred &
                      andre
                      > > with access to the account. This ensures it doesn't happen.
                      > > Furthermore, more users will be given wiki/forum admin/moderator
                      > > access.
                      > >
                      > > -flavoie at linkstationwiki.org & .net

                    • Andrew Becherer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
                        On Jun 18, 2006, at 7:48 AM, al3ks75 wrote:

                        > I am also going to send an email PayPal to see what they say and I
                        > will post any response.

                        If you are serious about getting your money back and you used a
                        credit card contact the bank that issued your credit card. You can
                        initiated a chargeback process. Basically just tell your issuing bank
                        that you were duped, that you did not get what you paid for. You
                        intended to donate money to support a software project but the money
                        did not reach its intended donation. Credit card disputes are heavily
                        tilted toward the cardholder (especially during card not present
                        transactions) and I expect your bank could get your money back.

                        Your bank may or may not give you provisional credit depending upon
                        how they feel about your particular case. Your issuing bank will
                        contact the merchant's acquiring bank (Paypal) and go through the
                        chargeback protocol. You may have to fill out a form or submit a
                        statement. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

                        - Andrew B