Re: How do I clean up my Linkstation drive

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cpiad2005" <cpiad@...> wrote:

      > Thanks much for the reply. Is there a way to make the recycle
      > folder appear so that I can empty it manually? The recycle function
      > is enabled and I made sure windows folder option will display hidden
      > files, but I can still not see the recycle folder for the
      > linkstation drive. thank you.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
      > <musikgoat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cpiad2005" <cpiad@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know of any software that I can use to cleanup my
      > > > linkstation 160GB drive? When I erase a large backup file the
      > drive
      > > > does not report an increase (recovery) of space. I would like
      > > > cleanup the drive so that it reports all of the free space.
      > thanks.
      > > >

      > > You have an option in the shared folder settings to enable/disable
      > > "Recycle Bin" feature that creates a .trash folder hidden commonly
      > by
      > > windows.
      > >
      > > An easy way to find out, if you know the IP adress or hostname of
      > the
      > > device, is to click on start-> run:
      > > \\iporhostname\sharefolder\.trash\
      > > where sharefolder is the name of your share folder.
      > >
      > > If there are files in there, delete them. You can delete the
      > folder
      > > if you would like. The LS doesn't have the ability to auto delete
      > > though.

      you might want to just refresh your listings, because I can see the
      .trash folder in the mapped network drive, and in My Network Places.
      I have windows XP pro.
      I also went ahead and stopped showing hidden files and the .trash
      folder disappeared, and after showing them again, the folder was in view.
    • cpiad2005
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
        Thanks again! That got it ... I've got XP Home ... refreshed the
        drive and the trash file showed up ... emptied it ... and voila ...
        got the space report back showing the volume increase. Really
        appreciate your sharing your knowledge ... c