How do I clean up my Linkstation drive

  • cpiad2005
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
      Does anyone know of any software that I can use to cleanup my
      linkstation 160GB drive? When I erase a large backup file the drive
      does not report an increase (recovery) of space. I would like to
      cleanup the drive so that it reports all of the free space. thanks.
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cpiad2005" <cpiad@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of any software that I can use to cleanup my
        > linkstation 160GB drive? When I erase a large backup file the drive
        > does not report an increase (recovery) of space. I would like to
        > cleanup the drive so that it reports all of the free space. thanks.

        You have an option in the shared folder settings to enable/disable a
        "Recycle Bin" feature that creates a .trash folder hidden commonly by
        windows.

        An easy way to find out, if you know the IP adress or hostname of the
        device, is to click on start-> run:
        \\iporhostname\sharefolder\.trash\
        where sharefolder is the name of your share folder.

        If there are files in there, delete them. You can delete the folder
        if you would like. The LS doesn't have the ability to auto delete
        though.
      • cpiad2005
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
          Thanks much for the reply. Is there a way to make the recycle
          folder appear so that I can empty it manually? The recycle function
          is enabled and I made sure windows folder option will display hidden
          files, but I can still not see the recycle folder for the
          linkstation drive. thank you.

          <musikgoat@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cpiad2005" <cpiad@>
          wrote:

          > > Does anyone know of any software that I can use to cleanup my
          > > linkstation 160GB drive? When I erase a large backup file the
          drive
          > > does not report an increase (recovery) of space. I would like
          > > cleanup the drive so that it reports all of the free space.
          thanks.

          > You have an option in the shared folder settings to enable/disable
          > "Recycle Bin" feature that creates a .trash folder hidden commonly
          by
          > windows.
          >
          > An easy way to find out, if you know the IP adress or hostname of
          the
          > device, is to click on start-> run:
          > \\iporhostname\sharefolder\.trash\
          > where sharefolder is the name of your share folder.
          >
          > If there are files in there, delete them. You can delete the
          folder
          > if you would like. The LS doesn't have the ability to auto delete
          > though.

        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cpiad2005" <cpiad@...> wrote:

            > Thanks much for the reply. Is there a way to make the recycle
            > folder appear so that I can empty it manually? The recycle function
            > is enabled and I made sure windows folder option will display hidden
            > files, but I can still not see the recycle folder for the
            > linkstation drive. thank you.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
            > <musikgoat@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cpiad2005" <cpiad@>
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know of any software that I can use to cleanup my
            > > > linkstation 160GB drive? When I erase a large backup file the
            > drive
            > > > does not report an increase (recovery) of space. I would like
            > > > cleanup the drive so that it reports all of the free space.
            > thanks.
            > > >

            > > You have an option in the shared folder settings to enable/disable
            > > "Recycle Bin" feature that creates a .trash folder hidden commonly
            > by
            > > windows.
            > >
            > > An easy way to find out, if you know the IP adress or hostname of
            > the
            > > device, is to click on start-> run:
            > > \\iporhostname\sharefolder\.trash\
            > > where sharefolder is the name of your share folder.
            > >
            > > If there are files in there, delete them. You can delete the
            > folder
            > > if you would like. The LS doesn't have the ability to auto delete
            > > though.

            you might want to just refresh your listings, because I can see the
            .trash folder in the mapped network drive, and in My Network Places.
            I have windows XP pro.
            I also went ahead and stopped showing hidden files and the .trash
            folder disappeared, and after showing them again, the folder was in view.
          • cpiad2005
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
              Thanks again! That got it ... I've got XP Home ... refreshed the
              drive and the trash file showed up ... emptied it ... and voila ...
              got the space report back showing the volume increase. Really
              appreciate your sharing your knowledge ... c