Re: Questions about LinkStation+DriveStation

  • psrhburns
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, rsteiner@... wrote:

      > I have a 10/100 250GB Buffalo LinkStation (HD-H250LAN) which seems to
      > be relatively happy, but I'd like to pick up a 250GB DriveStation for
      > it to use as a dedicated backup drive.
      >
      > What issues should I be aware of? Will it "just work"...? :-)
      >
      > --
      > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
      > OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
      > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
      > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

      I have a 160GB DriveStation and connected it to a 160GB LinkStation (10/100 PPC version)
      I bought the DriveStation believing that since they were both Buffalo products they would
      be the best combo for adding storage. This is not the case. Since my LinkStation sleeps for
      12 hours/day I wanted the DriveStation to sleep and wake at the same time. It is promoted
      as having a similar sleep feature. I have discovered that this feature does not work when
      connected to a LinkStation. When the LinkStation wakes the DriveStation always fails to
      mount. (it was formated by the LinkStation as a usbdisk1 shared folder per their
      instructions) Both units have to be restarted to connect. The only way I have been able to
      maintain a continous connection between the two units is to leave them both active 24/7.
      I am now looking at putting a larger HD in my LinkStation so it can sleep again.

      If you just want to use the attached drive for backup this will not be an issue since you
      can't use the backup features unless sleep mode is disabled. Based on this I don't think
      the DriveStation brand would be any better (or worse) than any other external USB
      expansion Drive. They will all have the same sleep limitation and will all work as backups if
      first formated by the LinkStation. Hopes this helps.

      BTW: Buffalo tech support was totally useless to me. They have NEVER responded to any of
      my questions.