Re: Questions about LinkStation+DriveStation

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, rsteiner@... wrote:

      > I have a 10/100 250GB Buffalo LinkStation (HD-H250LAN) which seems to
      > be relatively happy, but I'd like to pick up a 250GB DriveStation for
      > it to use as a dedicated backup drive.
      >
      > What issues should I be aware of? Will it "just work"...? :-)
      >
      > --
      > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>--->
      Mableton, GA USA
      > OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC
      Hobbyist Heaven!
      > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
      > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

      nice sig ^_^

      you want to keep in mind that the linkstation runs on a linux native
      ext3 filesystem, so the new drive station (which will probly be in
      FAT32) will need to be formatted by the linkstation.

      Also with that, the data on that USB drive will now be in the ext3
      file format that windows doesn't read.

      An alternative to getting to the data on the USB other than connecting
      it to the Linkstation would be to run a Knoppix Live CD over your
      windows OS, or just mount the USB device on any linux distro.

      Good luck with that.
    • psrhburns
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, rsteiner@... wrote:

        > I have a 10/100 250GB Buffalo LinkStation (HD-H250LAN) which seems to
        > be relatively happy, but I'd like to pick up a 250GB DriveStation for
        > it to use as a dedicated backup drive.
        >
        > What issues should I be aware of? Will it "just work"...? :-)
        >
        > --
        > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
        > OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
        > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
        > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

        I have a 160GB DriveStation and connected it to a 160GB LinkStation (10/100 PPC version)
        I bought the DriveStation believing that since they were both Buffalo products they would
        be the best combo for adding storage. This is not the case. Since my LinkStation sleeps for
        12 hours/day I wanted the DriveStation to sleep and wake at the same time. It is promoted
        as having a similar sleep feature. I have discovered that this feature does not work when
        connected to a LinkStation. When the LinkStation wakes the DriveStation always fails to
        mount. (it was formated by the LinkStation as a usbdisk1 shared folder per their
        instructions) Both units have to be restarted to connect. The only way I have been able to
        maintain a continous connection between the two units is to leave them both active 24/7.
        I am now looking at putting a larger HD in my LinkStation so it can sleep again.

        If you just want to use the attached drive for backup this will not be an issue since you
        can't use the backup features unless sleep mode is disabled. Based on this I don't think
        the DriveStation brand would be any better (or worse) than any other external USB
        expansion Drive. They will all have the same sleep limitation and will all work as backups if
        first formated by the LinkStation. Hopes this helps.

        BTW: Buffalo tech support was totally useless to me. They have NEVER responded to any of
        my questions.