Re: replacing drives in a Terastation

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2006
      <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "duncankh" <duncan888@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Is it possible to replace the harddisk in a Terastation, eg placing 4
      > > 500gb disk in to make 2TB.
      > >
      > > would the terastation format the drives and create the raid
      > > automatically, or does a similar procedure to the Linkstation be
      > > needed, ie reload of the firmware?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >

      > in fact...i don`t know.
      >
      > you should read a bit at www.terastation.org...
      >
      > for example

      http://www.terastation.org/wiki/QandA#Can_I_replace_my_existing_hard_drives_with_larger_ones.3F

      From what I have seen, you can do 500GB drives, but not 750's (or
      that maybe hearsay)

      Keep in mind that part of the OS runs on a partition, so you need to
      install each disk one at a time. each time, restructuring the array.
      Each of the new disks will just use the smaller partition size of the
      previous drives. Once you have all four in, then you want to erase
      the array and rebuild it using the full disk space available.