Subdirectories and permission

  • sueio
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
      Using a stock Linkstation, I like to create a directory and
      subdirectories that have independent permission levels. For example

      doc/user1_docs
      doc/user2_docs

      Everyone can see the doc folder; however, only user1 can assess the
      user1_docs and only user2 can assess the user2_docs
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sueio" <paul@...> wrote:

        > Using a stock Linkstation, I like to create a directory and
        > subdirectories that have independent permission levels. For example
        >
        > doc/user1_docs
        > doc/user2_docs
        >
        > Everyone can see the doc folder; however, only user1 can assess the
        > user1_docs and only user2 can assess the user2_docs

        Unfortunately, its not possible. Not with the stock firmware. That
        is a feature of more robust fileservers.
      • sueio
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sueio" <paul@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Using a stock Linkstation, I like to create a directory and
          > > subdirectories that have independent permission levels. For example
          > >
          > > doc/user1_docs
          > > doc/user2_docs
          > >
          > > Everyone can see the doc folder; however, only user1 can assess the
          > > user1_docs and only user2 can assess the user2_docs
          > >

          > Unfortunately, its not possible. Not with the stock firmware. That
          > is a feature of more robust fileservers.

          What do you recommend for someone who have no interest in learning
          Linux and wants a near turn-key implementation?