Re: LinkStation Network Storage Center 250GB

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson
      <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

      > cherrytreeproduction wrote:
      >
      > > ...<deleted>
      > > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
      > > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on
      it...

      > > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
      > > articles + debian-tutorials....
      >
      > Cherry (anyone?);
      >
      > Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
      > a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd
      converted my
      > ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
      > I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.
      >
      > tia,
      > -Craig

      in fact you cannot use the firmware-images directly because there is
      no apservd-process running on your kuro...the firmware updater simply
      won`T find your box. but you could unzip the image.dat from openlink
      or freelink (for the LS1) with the password from
      http://linkstationwiki.org/Main/FAQ.....or to make it easier for you:
      NFM_TUPSBHFNFM_TUPSBHF .....(image.dat is a password-protected
      zip-archive)....then you get a tmpimage.tgz.....which is a archive of
      the filesystem......if you untar it on / (=/dev/hda1), then you will
      have openlink or freelink on your kurobox....the only difference is
      that you are running the kuro-kernel in the flash.....

      best regards
      -- mindbender