Re: Need help with FTP shell script from linux -> LS Network Storage Center

  • mixed_mind_assistance
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:

      > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
      > > Hello again,
      > >
      > > I can do this all by the command line getting to the buffalo link
      > > station and do understand the commands I can use with command line
      > > ftp, but cannot seem to get the command line ftp to work.
      > >
      > > I can probably just back up my data locally to the server then store
      > > it on the LS NSC.
      > >
      > > ftp
      > > open x.x.x.x
      > > username
      > > password
      > > bin
      > > hash
      > > cd /path/to/target/directory
      > > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
      > > mput myfiles
      > > quit
      > > exit
      >
      > What's the OS on the system you're FTPing from?

      I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.

      I have been to a website talking about KUROBoxes and modifications. I
      don't think I should modify the box since it would void the warranty.
      I would like to be able to mount this if possible, but I don't think
      it is going to be possible without all of these linux modifications.

      I've been having issues with my near-line storage USB HDD and Webmin
      backups failing, believing that to be putting a large strain on my
      system and thats why its failing b/c the tar balls are about 20-30gb a
      piece.

      While I think the HD-H250LAN might be able to be modified, I also know
      nothing about the processor on it, etc. It seems as if all the hype
      and talk in converting these is the LS I and LS II so it looks as if I
      might be in the dark in my scenario of owning the HD-H250LAN.

      It would be nice to be able to do a FTP Backup across the LAN to this
      box but I'm not sure how to do that in real-time since I don't have
      any scripts to do that other than webmin.

      I could tarball them locally then FTP them across the lan to the
      HD-H250LAN if I could figure out how to script just simply moving
      several tarballs across the lan, however these tarballs are quite
      large and might take quite some time meaning I would have to schedule
      them 1 day out of the week during an off-peak time.

      Hopefully you catch my drift here, I'm not trying to make this a
      server really, but if thats my only hope I'd like to know then if I
      could simply download the firmware and reflash it by downloading 2.05
      from buffalo's website if I wanted to start from scratch again.

      I know, too many questions in one post, but its all relative ;-)p

      With the FTP thing what I'm trying to accomplish it shouldn't be a
      difficult task, just one I haven't tried, and I have read up on FTP sc
      ripts and tried but it fails consistently.

      Hope that helps..
    • pfink
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
        mixed_mind_assistance wrote:

        > I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.

        Try this shell script:

        #!/bin/sh
        HOST='ftp.example.com'
        USER='username'
        PASSWD='password'

        ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
        quote USER $USER
        quote PASS $PASSWD
        bin
        hash
        cd /path/to/target/directory
        lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
        mput myfiles
        quit
        END_SCRIPT
        exit 0
      • mixed_mind_assistance
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:

          > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.
          >
          > Try this shell script:
          >
          > #!/bin/sh
          > HOST='ftp.example.com'
          > USER='username'
          > PASSWD='password'
          >
          > ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
          > quote USER $USER
          > quote PASS $PASSWD
          > bin
          > hash
          > cd /path/to/target/directory
          > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
          > mput myfiles
          > quit
          > END_SCRIPT
          > exit 0

          Thats the one I tried.. but I did not include this portion of the script:

          > ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
          > quote USER $USER
          > quote PASS $PASSWD
          > bin
          > hash
          > cd /path/to/target/directory
          > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
          > mput myfiles
          > quit
          > END_SCRIPT
          > exit 0

          I'll try that one again, but I *do* believe it fails ..
        • pfink
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
            mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:
            >> mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
            >>> I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.
            >> Try this shell script:
            >>
            >> #!/bin/sh
            >> HOST='ftp.example.com'
            >> USER='username'
            >> PASSWD='password'
            >>
            >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
            >> quote USER $USER
            >> quote PASS $PASSWD
            >> bin
            >> hash
            >> cd /path/to/target/directory
            >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
            >> mput myfiles
            >> quit
            >> END_SCRIPT
            >> exit 0
            >>

            > Thats the one I tried.. but I did not include this portion of the script:
            >
            >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
            >> quote USER $USER
            >> quote PASS $PASSWD
            >> bin
            >> hash
            >> cd /path/to/target/directory
            >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
            >> mput myfiles
            >> quit
            >> END_SCRIPT
            >> exit 0

            I just tested it on CentOS and it worked fine, should work
            on Fedora as well.

            The script you quoted didn't have the "-u" switch or the
            <<END_SCRIPT / END_SCRIPT quoting, which are required.

            The "-u" switch stops the FTP client from attempting
            to authenticate immediately, which should prevent the
            Kerberos error. The login is then performed by the
            lines:

            quote USER $USER
            quote PASS $PASSWD
          • mixed_mind_assistance
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:

              > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@> wrote:
              > >> Try this shell script:
              > >>
              > >> #!/bin/sh
              > >> HOST='ftp.example.com'
              > >> USER='username'
              > >> PASSWD='password'
              > >>
              > >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
              > >> quote USER $USER
              > >> quote PASS $PASSWD
              > >> bin
              > >> hash
              > >> cd /path/to/target/directory
              > >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
              > >> mput myfiles
              > >> quit
              > >> END_SCRIPT
              > >> exit 0
              > >>

              > > Thats the one I tried.. but I did not include this portion of the
              script:

              > >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
              > >> quote USER $USER
              > >> quote PASS $PASSWD
              > >> bin
              > >> hash
              > >> cd /path/to/target/directory
              > >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
              > >> mput myfiles
              > >> quit
              > >> END_SCRIPT
              > >> exit 0
              >

              > I just tested it on CentOS and it worked fine, should work
              > on Fedora as well.
              >
              > The script you quoted didn't have the "-u" switch or the
              > <<END_SCRIPT / END_SCRIPT quoting, which are required.
              >
              > The "-u" switch stops the FTP client from attempting
              > to authenticate immediately, which should prevent the
              > Kerberos error. The login is then performed by the
              > lines:
              >
              > quote USER $USER
              > quote PASS $PASSWD

              Hmm.. thats what I was just doing, so I tried doing scripting it
              differently since it fails on login.

              I did;

              ftp -u 192.x.x.x

              it connects to the box

              ftp>

              if you type user it prompts for a username and if you enter a username
              it prompts for password;

              Password:

              so if I scripted it like

              ftp -u 192.x.x.x
              user username
              mypassword

              it will not continue. Not sure why the script doesn't work, but it
              just fails on the authentication. I can do it manually without a problem.
            • mixed_mind_assistance
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
                I got it under control now, thanks for your help. I did find that
                script the other day, I think I know the cause of this. I'm using SSH
                and had port 21 pointed back to itself and that caused the errors. I
                forgot I forwarded port 21 back to the source IP, that is the cause of
                all the confusion.

                Its fixed now, ya that script will work.

                Thx again..