Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Need help with FTP shell script from linux -> LS Network Storage Center

Expand Messages
  • mixed_mind_assistance
    Hello again, I can do this all by the command line getting to the buffalo link station and do understand the commands I can use with command line ftp, but
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello again,

      I can do this all by the command line getting to the buffalo link
      station and do understand the commands I can use with command line
      ftp, but cannot seem to get the command line ftp to work.

      I can probably just back up my data locally to the server then store
      it on the LS NSC.

      ftp
      open x.x.x.x
      username
      password
      bin
      hash
      cd /path/to/target/directory
      lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
      mput myfiles
      quit
      exit


      A Script something like that, but the problem that I encounter is when
      I try to do this I get a message regarding Kerberos and it says you
      must use USER and PASS, so when I provide the proper credentials it
      still does not work. Perhaps its syntax if anyone knows how to do
      this, I have searched around on the net and cannot seem to get this to
      work. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake by buying the LS NSC.

      It would be nice if I could configure SAMBA on fedora, but samba is
      not on the LS NSC. I can configure it to be in the workgroup
      'workgroup' but do I have to do some sort of MOUNT? and how do I do
      the MOUNT of the LS NSC across the network? I did enable NFS and
      pointed it to the IP of the LS NSC but mounting it is another story.

      If someone can help me mount it across the network, that may solve the
      problem of being able to use NFS and backup over the network using
      Webmin. Thats what I'd like to be able to do.

      Thanks, I just wanted to clarify this whole thing..
    • pfink
      ... What s the OS on the system you re FTPing from?
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
        > Hello again,
        >
        > I can do this all by the command line getting to the buffalo link
        > station and do understand the commands I can use with command line
        > ftp, but cannot seem to get the command line ftp to work.
        >
        > I can probably just back up my data locally to the server then store
        > it on the LS NSC.
        >
        > ftp
        > open x.x.x.x
        > username
        > password
        > bin
        > hash
        > cd /path/to/target/directory
        > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
        > mput myfiles
        > quit
        > exit

        What's the OS on the system you're FTPing from?
      • mixed_mind_assistance
        ... I m trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4. I have been to a website talking about KUROBoxes and modifications. I don t think I should modify the box since it
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:
          >
          > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
          > > Hello again,
          > >
          > > I can do this all by the command line getting to the buffalo link
          > > station and do understand the commands I can use with command line
          > > ftp, but cannot seem to get the command line ftp to work.
          > >
          > > I can probably just back up my data locally to the server then store
          > > it on the LS NSC.
          > >
          > > ftp
          > > open x.x.x.x
          > > username
          > > password
          > > bin
          > > hash
          > > cd /path/to/target/directory
          > > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
          > > mput myfiles
          > > quit
          > > exit
          >
          > What's the OS on the system you're FTPing from?
          >


          I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.

          I have been to a website talking about KUROBoxes and modifications. I
          don't think I should modify the box since it would void the warranty.
          I would like to be able to mount this if possible, but I don't think
          it is going to be possible without all of these linux modifications.

          I've been having issues with my near-line storage USB HDD and Webmin
          backups failing, believing that to be putting a large strain on my
          system and thats why its failing b/c the tar balls are about 20-30gb a
          piece.

          While I think the HD-H250LAN might be able to be modified, I also know
          nothing about the processor on it, etc. It seems as if all the hype
          and talk in converting these is the LS I and LS II so it looks as if I
          might be in the dark in my scenario of owning the HD-H250LAN.

          It would be nice to be able to do a FTP Backup across the LAN to this
          box but I'm not sure how to do that in real-time since I don't have
          any scripts to do that other than webmin.

          I could tarball them locally then FTP them across the lan to the
          HD-H250LAN if I could figure out how to script just simply moving
          several tarballs across the lan, however these tarballs are quite
          large and might take quite some time meaning I would have to schedule
          them 1 day out of the week during an off-peak time.

          Hopefully you catch my drift here, I'm not trying to make this a
          server really, but if thats my only hope I'd like to know then if I
          could simply download the firmware and reflash it by downloading 2.05
          from buffalo's website if I wanted to start from scratch again.

          I know, too many questions in one post, but its all relative ;-)p

          With the FTP thing what I'm trying to accomplish it shouldn't be a
          difficult task, just one I haven't tried, and I have read up on FTP sc
          ripts and tried but it fails consistently.

          Hope that helps..
        • pfink
          ... Try this shell script: #!/bin/sh HOST= ftp.example.com USER= username PASSWD= password ftp -u $HOST
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
            >
            > I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.

            Try this shell script:

            #!/bin/sh
            HOST='ftp.example.com'
            USER='username'
            PASSWD='password'

            ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
            quote USER $USER
            quote PASS $PASSWD
            bin
            hash
            cd /path/to/target/directory
            lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
            mput myfiles
            quit
            END_SCRIPT
            exit 0
          • mixed_mind_assistance
            ... I ll try that one again, but I *do* believe it fails ..
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:
              >
              > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.
              >
              > Try this shell script:
              >
              > #!/bin/sh
              > HOST='ftp.example.com'
              > USER='username'
              > PASSWD='password'
              >
              > ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
              > quote USER $USER
              > quote PASS $PASSWD
              > bin
              > hash
              > cd /path/to/target/directory
              > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
              > mput myfiles
              > quit
              > END_SCRIPT
              > exit 0
              >


              Thats the one I tried.. but I did not include this portion of the script:

              > ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
              > quote USER $USER
              > quote PASS $PASSWD
              > bin
              > hash
              > cd /path/to/target/directory
              > lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
              > mput myfiles
              > quit
              > END_SCRIPT
              > exit 0
              >

              I'll try that one again, but I *do* believe it fails ..
            • pfink
              ... I just tested it on CentOS and it worked fine, should work on Fedora as well. The script you quoted didn t have the -u switch or the
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:
                >> mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
                >>> I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.
                >> Try this shell script:
                >>
                >> #!/bin/sh
                >> HOST='ftp.example.com'
                >> USER='username'
                >> PASSWD='password'
                >>
                >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
                >> quote USER $USER
                >> quote PASS $PASSWD
                >> bin
                >> hash
                >> cd /path/to/target/directory
                >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
                >> mput myfiles
                >> quit
                >> END_SCRIPT
                >> exit 0
                >>
                >
                >
                > Thats the one I tried.. but I did not include this portion of the script:
                >
                >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
                >> quote USER $USER
                >> quote PASS $PASSWD
                >> bin
                >> hash
                >> cd /path/to/target/directory
                >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
                >> mput myfiles
                >> quit
                >> END_SCRIPT
                >> exit 0


                I just tested it on CentOS and it worked fine, should work
                on Fedora as well.

                The script you quoted didn't have the "-u" switch or the
                <<END_SCRIPT / END_SCRIPT quoting, which are required.

                The "-u" switch stops the FTP client from attempting
                to authenticate immediately, which should prevent the
                Kerberos error. The login is then performed by the
                lines:

                quote USER $USER
                quote PASS $PASSWD
              • mixed_mind_assistance
                ... Hmm.. thats what I was just doing, so I tried doing scripting it differently since it fails on login. I did; ftp -u 192.x.x.x it connects to the box ftp
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@> wrote:
                  > >> mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
                  > >>> I'm trying to FTP from Fedora Core 4.
                  > >> Try this shell script:
                  > >>
                  > >> #!/bin/sh
                  > >> HOST='ftp.example.com'
                  > >> USER='username'
                  > >> PASSWD='password'
                  > >>
                  > >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
                  > >> quote USER $USER
                  > >> quote PASS $PASSWD
                  > >> bin
                  > >> hash
                  > >> cd /path/to/target/directory
                  > >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
                  > >> mput myfiles
                  > >> quit
                  > >> END_SCRIPT
                  > >> exit 0
                  > >>
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Thats the one I tried.. but I did not include this portion of the
                  script:
                  > >
                  > >> ftp -u $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
                  > >> quote USER $USER
                  > >> quote PASS $PASSWD
                  > >> bin
                  > >> hash
                  > >> cd /path/to/target/directory
                  > >> lcd /path/to/source/directory_of_files/getting_backed_up
                  > >> mput myfiles
                  > >> quit
                  > >> END_SCRIPT
                  > >> exit 0
                  >
                  >
                  > I just tested it on CentOS and it worked fine, should work
                  > on Fedora as well.
                  >
                  > The script you quoted didn't have the "-u" switch or the
                  > <<END_SCRIPT / END_SCRIPT quoting, which are required.
                  >
                  > The "-u" switch stops the FTP client from attempting
                  > to authenticate immediately, which should prevent the
                  > Kerberos error. The login is then performed by the
                  > lines:
                  >
                  > quote USER $USER
                  > quote PASS $PASSWD
                  >


                  Hmm.. thats what I was just doing, so I tried doing scripting it
                  differently since it fails on login.

                  I did;

                  ftp -u 192.x.x.x

                  it connects to the box

                  ftp>

                  if you type user it prompts for a username and if you enter a username
                  it prompts for password;

                  Password:

                  so if I scripted it like

                  ftp -u 192.x.x.x
                  user username
                  mypassword

                  it will not continue. Not sure why the script doesn't work, but it
                  just fails on the authentication. I can do it manually without a problem.
                • mixed_mind_assistance
                  I got it under control now, thanks for your help. I did find that script the other day, I think I know the cause of this. I m using SSH and had port 21 pointed
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I got it under control now, thanks for your help. I did find that
                    script the other day, I think I know the cause of this. I'm using SSH
                    and had port 21 pointed back to itself and that caused the errors. I
                    forgot I forwarded port 21 back to the source IP, that is the cause of
                    all the confusion.

                    Its fixed now, ya that script will work.

                    Thx again..
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.