[OT] Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: LinkStation Network Storage Center 250GB

  • Craig Olofson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006

      http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

      > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
      > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
      > >
      > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
      > >
      > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
      > >
      > > start some reading.
      > >
      > > -- mindbender
      > >

      > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
      > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
      > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
      > RE SHRINKwrapped.
      >
      > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
      > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
      > free shipping from them.
      >
      > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
      > with NEWEGG!!!

      Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
      to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
      deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
      two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
      and frustrating.

      I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...

      -Craig
    • Craig Olofson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
        cherrytreeproduction wrote:

        > ...<deleted>
        > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
        > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on it...
        >
        > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
        > articles + debian-tutorials....

        Cherry (anyone?);

        Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
        a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd converted my
        ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
        I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.

        tia,
        -Craig
      • Tony Morehen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
          Just be grateful you don't live in Canada. I just brought in some
          computer parts worth $28. UPS's brokerage fee came to $17.10! This
          despite their website listing $7 as their brokerage fee. In addition
          they charged me $5.85 to pay out $1.96 in sales tax and $4.25 to collect
          that money. I wound up paying almost the same amount in sales tax on
          the brokerage charge. By comparison, if the package was shipped
          purolator or USPS I would have paid $5 in brokerage charges.

          UPS charges seem to designed to discourage small shipments.

          Craig Olofson wrote:
          > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
          >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
          > > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"

          > > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
          > > > counterpart of the Linkstation)
          > > >

          > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
          > <http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721>
          > >

          > > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
          > > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
          > > >
          > > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
          > > >
          > > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
          > > >
          > > > start some reading.
          > > >
          > > > -- mindbender
          > > >

          > > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
          > > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
          > > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
          > > RE SHRINKwrapped.
          > >
          > > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
          > > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
          > > free shipping from them.
          > >
          > > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
          > > with NEWEGG!!!
          > >

          > Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
          > to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
          > deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
          > two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
          > and frustrating.
          >
          > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...
          >
          > -Craig

          > Buffalo linkstation
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=r2CzGJvdC2av3mUUFW_Dfg>
          > Communication and networking
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=PnautBytSHe2Zj97cMHLqg>

        • mixed_mind_assistance
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006

            > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal
            purchases...

            > -Craig

            I got my shipping back TG <g>
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson
              <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

              > cherrytreeproduction wrote:
              >
              > > ...<deleted>
              > > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
              > > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on
              it...

              > > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
              > > articles + debian-tutorials....
              >
              > Cherry (anyone?);
              >
              > Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
              > a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd
              converted my
              > ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
              > I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.
              >
              > tia,
              > -Craig

              in fact you cannot use the firmware-images directly because there is
              no apservd-process running on your kuro...the firmware updater simply
              won`T find your box. but you could unzip the image.dat from openlink
              or freelink (for the LS1) with the password from
              http://linkstationwiki.org/Main/FAQ.....or to make it easier for you:
              NFM_TUPSBHFNFM_TUPSBHF .....(image.dat is a password-protected
              zip-archive)....then you get a tmpimage.tgz.....which is a archive of
              the filesystem......if you untar it on / (=/dev/hda1), then you will
              have openlink or freelink on your kurobox....the only difference is
              that you are running the kuro-kernel in the flash.....

              best regards
              -- mindbender