Re: LinkStation Network Storage Center 250GB

  • mixed_mind_assistance
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2 3:24 PM

      http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

      > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
      > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.
      >
      > > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
      > > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
      > time.
      >
      > if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
      > the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.
      >

      > > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
      > >

      > i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
      > can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
      > definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
      > i got that sentence wrong...
      >
      > > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
      > >

      > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
      >
      > www.linkstationwiki.org
      > www.kurobox.com
      >
      > start some reading.
      >
      > -- mindbender

      Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, I will in the future be
      ordering the KUROBOX. I'm not saying my buffalo is defective, but what
      I'm saying is UPS SUCKS!!!! My box came entirely OPENED and it
      contained both the Buffalo's, with absolutely NO filler in it, no
      peanuts whatsoever, so it makes me wonder why the heck companies don't
      use FEDEX. The Box had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes
      themselves had no padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's
      appeared to be RE SHRINKwrapped.

      I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
      for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
      free shipping from them.

      A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
      with NEWEGG!!!
    • Craig Olofson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2 3:37 PM
        mixed_mind_assistance wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
        > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
        > > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple
        > >> and wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
        > >
        > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
        > > counterpart of the Linkstation)

        http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

        > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
        > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
        > >
        > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
        > >
        > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
        > >
        > > start some reading.
        > >
        > > -- mindbender
        > >

        > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
        > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
        > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
        > RE SHRINKwrapped.
        >
        > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
        > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
        > free shipping from them.
        >
        > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
        > with NEWEGG!!!

        Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
        to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
        deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
        two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
        and frustrating.

        I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...

        -Craig
      • Craig Olofson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2 3:43 PM
          cherrytreeproduction wrote:

          > ...<deleted>
          > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
          > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on it...
          >
          > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
          > articles + debian-tutorials....

          Cherry (anyone?);

          Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
          a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd converted my
          ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
          I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.

          tia,
          -Craig
        • Tony Morehen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2 5:09 PM
            Just be grateful you don't live in Canada. I just brought in some
            computer parts worth $28. UPS's brokerage fee came to $17.10! This
            despite their website listing $7 as their brokerage fee. In addition
            they charged me $5.85 to pay out $1.96 in sales tax and $4.25 to collect
            that money. I wound up paying almost the same amount in sales tax on
            the brokerage charge. By comparison, if the package was shipped
            purolator or USPS I would have paid $5 in brokerage charges.

            UPS charges seem to designed to discourage small shipments.

            Craig Olofson wrote:
            > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
            >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
            > > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"

            > > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
            > > > counterpart of the Linkstation)
            > > >

            > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
            > <http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721>
            > >

            > > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
            > > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
            > > >
            > > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
            > > >
            > > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
            > > >
            > > > start some reading.
            > > >
            > > > -- mindbender
            > > >

            > > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
            > > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
            > > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
            > > RE SHRINKwrapped.
            > >
            > > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
            > > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
            > > free shipping from them.
            > >
            > > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
            > > with NEWEGG!!!
            > >

            > Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
            > to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
            > deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
            > two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
            > and frustrating.
            >
            > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...
            >
            > -Craig

            > Buffalo linkstation
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=r2CzGJvdC2av3mUUFW_Dfg>
            > Communication and networking
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=PnautBytSHe2Zj97cMHLqg>

          • mixed_mind_assistance
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2 5:50 PM

              > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal
              purchases...

              > -Craig

              I got my shipping back TG <g>
            • cherrytreeproduction
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 5 5:03 AM
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson
                <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

                > cherrytreeproduction wrote:
                >
                > > ...<deleted>
                > > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
                > > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on
                it...

                > > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
                > > articles + debian-tutorials....
                >
                > Cherry (anyone?);
                >
                > Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
                > a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd
                converted my
                > ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
                > I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.
                >
                > tia,
                > -Craig

                in fact you cannot use the firmware-images directly because there is
                no apservd-process running on your kuro...the firmware updater simply
                won`T find your box. but you could unzip the image.dat from openlink
                or freelink (for the LS1) with the password from
                http://linkstationwiki.org/Main/FAQ.....or to make it easier for you:
                NFM_TUPSBHFNFM_TUPSBHF .....(image.dat is a password-protected
                zip-archive)....then you get a tmpimage.tgz.....which is a archive of
                the filesystem......if you untar it on / (=/dev/hda1), then you will
                have openlink or freelink on your kurobox....the only difference is
                that you are running the kuro-kernel in the flash.....

                best regards
                -- mindbender