Re: UpnP on Buffalo Gigabit Linkstation

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2006
      > is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
      > I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
      > it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.

      yes, why not?

      twonkyvision works on the LS1 and it will work on the LS HG.

      the guys from twonkyvision have an installation programm for
      twonkyvision....maybe this installer does not work properly.

      but you can use the twonkyvision binary and the scripts that you can
      download from the files-sections of this group instead and install it
      manually

      > By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
      > problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to the
      > explanation given in the wiki?

      making backups is a good idea anyway......

      but your data should be save. the system-partition is /dev/hda1 (the
      first partition), the data-partition (where all the shares are) is
      /dev/hda3 (the third)....by flashing to openlink you are changing only
      the files on /dev/hda1..../dev/hda3 ( = /mnt/ ) should be save.
    • wheely30km
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2006
        > is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
        > I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
        > it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.
        >
        > By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
        > problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to
        the
        > explanation given in the wiki?

        I had some files on my linkstation, and flashed the openlink firmware,
        the files were still there :-)

        I had a couple of problems with the TwonkyInstaller, I had to do some
        steps manually, so I made a beginner's How-to here :
        http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1545

        My linkstation is not Gigabit, bit I don't see any reason why it
        shouldn't work on a Gigabit LS :-)
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wheely30km"
          <wheely30km@...> wrote:

          > > is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
          > > I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
          > > it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.
          > >
          > > By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
          > > problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to
          > the
          > > explanation given in the wiki?
          >
          > I had some files on my linkstation, and flashed the openlink firmware,
          > the files were still there :-)
          >
          > I had a couple of problems with the TwonkyInstaller, I had to do some
          > steps manually, so I made a beginner's How-to here :
          > http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1545
          >
          > My linkstation is not Gigabit, bit I don't see any reason why it
          > shouldn't work on a Gigabit LS :-)

          you should add in your tutorial that on the LS1 / HG the path should
          be /mnt/share....on the LS2 it is /mnt/hda/share...and you should
          mention that the LS2 is mips and not ppc...so a different binary for
          mips instead of ppc is mandatory.

          -- mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.org