Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: LinkStation Network Storage Center 250GB

Expand Messages
  • cherrytreeproduction
    ... there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart of the Linkstation)
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
      <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
      > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?

      there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
      of the Linkstation)
      http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

      i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
      expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.

      > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
      > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
      time.

      if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
      the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.

      >
      > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
      >

      i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
      can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
      definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
      i got that sentence wrong...

      > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
      >

      here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:

      www.linkstationwiki.org
      www.kurobox.com

      start some reading.

      -- mindbender
    • mmsupport staff
      From what I ve read on the KURO Box, it is an enclosure with your own hard drive that you add. I have read up on it, and did see the unix commands necessary to
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        From what I've read on the KURO Box, it is an enclosure with your own hard drive that you add. I have read up on it, and did see the unix commands necessary to mount it, etc.
         
        Are these the same procedures as with the Buffalo link station or do I need to do something special when I use the linkstations? I am assuming using it across platform shouldn't even be an issue really.
         
        Am I missing something?
         
        thx

        cherrytreeproduction <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
        <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
        > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?

        there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
        of the Linkstation)
        http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

        i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
        expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.

        > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
        > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
        time.

        if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
        the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.

        >
        > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
        >

        i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
        can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
        definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
        i got that sentence wrong...

        > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
        >

        here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:

        www.linkstationwiki.org
        www.kurobox.com

        start some reading.

        -- mindbender





        Do you Yahoo!?
        Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

      • cherrytreeproduction
        the main differences between the kuro and the Linkstations are the following: the linkstation is bundled with a harddisc + a special linux preinstalled on
        Message 3 of 10 , May 27, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          the main differences between the kuro and the Linkstations are the
          following:

          the linkstation is bundled with a harddisc + a special linux
          preinstalled on it....the kurobox comes without a harddisc.

          so it is definitely allowed to open it and you do not void any
          warranty. with the LS it is different...there you maybe void the
          warantty if you damage something while opening it (for example the
          sticker on the bottom).

          with the linkstation you have a webinterface...over it you can
          configure the shares, the ftp-server and so on.....

          with the kurobox you will have to set it up completely from scratch.

          if you really want to get fedora on it then the kurobox should be your
          choice...but you definitely should know a bit about linux...

          you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
          openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on it...

          you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
          articles + debian-tutorials....

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mmsupport staff
          <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:
          >
          > From what I've read on the KURO Box, it is an enclosure with your
          own hard drive that you add. I have read up on it, and did see the
          unix commands necessary to mount it, etc.
          >
          > Are these the same procedures as with the Buffalo link station or
          do I need to do something special when I use the linkstations? I am
          assuming using it across platform shouldn't even be an issue really.
          >
          > Am I missing something?
          >
          > thx
          >
          > cherrytreeproduction <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
          > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
          > > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
          >
          > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
          > of the Linkstation)
          >
          http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
          >
          > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
          > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.
          >
          > > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
          > > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
          > time.
          >
          > if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
          > the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.
          >
          > >
          > > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
          > >
          >
          > i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
          > can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
          > definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
          > i got that sentence wrong...
          >
          > > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
          > >
          >
          > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
          >
          > www.linkstationwiki.org
          > www.kurobox.com
          >
          > start some reading.
          >
          > -- mindbender
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > SPONSORED LINKS
          > Buffalo linkstation Communication and networking
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          >
          > Visit your group "LinkStation_General" on the web.
          >
          > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.
          >
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > Do you Yahoo!?
          > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          >
        • mixed_mind_assistance
          ... http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721 ... Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, I will in the future
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
            <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
            > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
            > > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
            >
            > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
            > of the Linkstation)
            >
            http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
            >
            > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
            > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.
            >
            > > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
            > > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
            > time.
            >
            > if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
            > the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.
            >
            > >
            > > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
            > >
            >
            > i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
            > can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
            > definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
            > i got that sentence wrong...
            >
            > > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
            > >
            >
            > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
            >
            > www.linkstationwiki.org
            > www.kurobox.com
            >
            > start some reading.
            >
            > -- mindbender
            >


            Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, I will in the future be
            ordering the KUROBOX. I'm not saying my buffalo is defective, but what
            I'm saying is UPS SUCKS!!!! My box came entirely OPENED and it
            contained both the Buffalo's, with absolutely NO filler in it, no
            peanuts whatsoever, so it makes me wonder why the heck companies don't
            use FEDEX. The Box had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes
            themselves had no padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's
            appeared to be RE SHRINKwrapped.

            I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
            for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
            free shipping from them.

            A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
            with NEWEGG!!!
          • Craig Olofson
            ... http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721 ... Finally, something in this group I know something about . I d
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              mixed_mind_assistance wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
              > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
              > > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple
              > >> and wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
              > >
              > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
              > > counterpart of the Linkstation)
              > >
              >
              http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
              >
              > >
              > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
              > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
              > >
              > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
              > >
              > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
              > >
              > > start some reading.
              > >
              > > -- mindbender
              > >
              >
              > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
              > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
              > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
              > RE SHRINKwrapped.
              >
              > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
              > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
              > free shipping from them.
              >
              > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
              > with NEWEGG!!!
              >

              Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
              to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
              deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
              two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
              and frustrating.

              I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...

              -Craig
            • Craig Olofson
              ... Cherry (anyone?); Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I d
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                cherrytreeproduction wrote:

                > ...<deleted>
                > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
                > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on it...
                >
                > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
                > articles + debian-tutorials....

                Cherry (anyone?);

                Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
                a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd converted my
                ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
                I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.

                tia,
                -Craig
              • Tony Morehen
                Just be grateful you don t live in Canada. I just brought in some computer parts worth $28. UPS s brokerage fee came to $17.10! This despite their website
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Just be grateful you don't live in Canada. I just brought in some
                  computer parts worth $28. UPS's brokerage fee came to $17.10! This
                  despite their website listing $7 as their brokerage fee. In addition
                  they charged me $5.85 to pay out $1.96 in sales tax and $4.25 to collect
                  that money. I wound up paying almost the same amount in sales tax on
                  the brokerage charge. By comparison, if the package was shipped
                  purolator or USPS I would have paid $5 in brokerage charges.

                  UPS charges seem to designed to discourage small shipments.

                  Craig Olofson wrote:
                  > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                  > > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
                  > > > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
                  > > >>
                  > > >> Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple
                  > > >> and wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
                  > > >
                  > > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
                  > > > counterpart of the Linkstation)
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
                  > <http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721>
                  > >
                  > > >
                  > > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
                  > > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
                  > > >
                  > > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
                  > > >
                  > > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
                  > > >
                  > > > start some reading.
                  > > >
                  > > > -- mindbender
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
                  > > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
                  > > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
                  > > RE SHRINKwrapped.
                  > >
                  > > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
                  > > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
                  > > free shipping from them.
                  > >
                  > > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
                  > > with NEWEGG!!!
                  > >
                  >
                  > Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
                  > to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
                  > deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
                  > two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
                  > and frustrating.
                  >
                  > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...
                  >
                  > -Craig
                  >
                  >
                  > SPONSORED LINKS
                  > Buffalo linkstation
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=r2CzGJvdC2av3mUUFW_Dfg>
                  > Communication and networking
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=PnautBytSHe2Zj97cMHLqg>
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General>" on the web.
                  >
                  > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  > LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                  >
                  > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  >
                • mixed_mind_assistance
                  ... purchases... ... I got my shipping back TG
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    >
                    > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal
                    purchases...
                    >
                    > -Craig
                    >
                    I got my shipping back TG <g>
                  • cherrytreeproduction
                    ... it... ... converted my ... in fact you cannot use the firmware-images directly because there is no apservd-process running on your kuro...the firmware
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 5, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson
                      <craig_b_o@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > cherrytreeproduction wrote:
                      >
                      > > ...<deleted>
                      > > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
                      > > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on
                      it...
                      > >
                      > > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
                      > > articles + debian-tutorials....
                      >
                      > Cherry (anyone?);
                      >
                      > Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
                      > a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd
                      converted my
                      > ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
                      > I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.
                      >
                      > tia,
                      > -Craig

                      in fact you cannot use the firmware-images directly because there is
                      no apservd-process running on your kuro...the firmware updater simply
                      won`T find your box. but you could unzip the image.dat from openlink
                      or freelink (for the LS1) with the password from
                      http://linkstationwiki.org/Main/FAQ.....or to make it easier for you:
                      NFM_TUPSBHFNFM_TUPSBHF .....(image.dat is a password-protected
                      zip-archive)....then you get a tmpimage.tgz.....which is a archive of
                      the filesystem......if you untar it on / (=/dev/hda1), then you will
                      have openlink or freelink on your kurobox....the only difference is
                      that you are running the kuro-kernel in the flash.....

                      best regards
                      -- mindbender
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.