LinkStation Network Storage Center 250GB

  • mixed_mind_assistance
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2006
      Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
      wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?

      It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
      expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of time.

      Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.

      I am curious if the Western Digital

      WDXE2500JB (WNDG28Q) 250GB NetCenter 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Ext HD would
      work fine also with FC4, or if I should return them and get the Buffalo.

      Its rather funny b/c I originally wanted the Buffalo, but must've made
      a mistake somewhere or the POS system did when I placed my order, and
      the e-mail said they were the NetCenter drives, so now I have to wait
      for them to ship to reject or accept them.

      The WD seems only to work with MAC and Windows, but WD states that you
      can configure the directories in Windows, then place it on the network
      for any system to use, but they can't support linux, also Buffalo
      stated the same thing -- that they cannot support linux, although they
      state in their ad on their site that it supports linux they offer no
      support for it.

      I think I'd be better off with 2 of the Buffalo's but wanted to see
      what I hear from this group first.

      Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)

      At any rate, the Buffalo's appear to be better priced, but I have read
      the instruction manuals are horrid and the fans are noisy in them in
      contrast to the WD, but I do NOT know what I'm up against if I kept
      the WD vs. the Buffalo..

      Thanks in advance to those who respond..
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
        <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
        > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?

        there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
        of the Linkstation)
        http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

        i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
        expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.

        > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
        > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
        time.

        if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
        the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.

        > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.

        i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
        can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
        definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
        i got that sentence wrong...

        > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)

        here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:

        www.linkstationwiki.org
        www.kurobox.com

        start some reading.

        -- mindbender
      • mmsupport staff
        Message 3 of 10 , May 27, 2006
          From what I've read on the KURO Box, it is an enclosure with your own hard drive that you add. I have read up on it, and did see the unix commands necessary to mount it, etc.

          Are these the same procedures as with the Buffalo link station or do I need to do something special when I use the linkstations? I am assuming using it across platform shouldn't even be an issue really.

          Am I missing something?

          thx

          cherrytreeproduction <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
          <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
          > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?

          there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
          of the Linkstation)
          http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

          i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
          expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.

          > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
          > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
          time.

          if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
          the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.

          > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.

          i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
          can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
          definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
          i got that sentence wrong...

          > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)

          here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:

          www.linkstationwiki.org
          www.kurobox.com

          start some reading.

          -- mindbender

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2006
            the main differences between the kuro and the Linkstations are the
            following:

            the linkstation is bundled with a harddisc + a special linux
            preinstalled on it....the kurobox comes without a harddisc.

            so it is definitely allowed to open it and you do not void any
            warranty. with the LS it is different...there you maybe void the
            warantty if you damage something while opening it (for example the
            sticker on the bottom).

            with the linkstation you have a webinterface...over it you can
            configure the shares, the ftp-server and so on.....

            with the kurobox you will have to set it up completely from scratch.

            if you really want to get fedora on it then the kurobox should be your
            choice...but you definitely should know a bit about linux...

            you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
            openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on it...

            you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
            articles + debian-tutorials....

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mmsupport staff
            <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:

            > From what I've read on the KURO Box, it is an enclosure with your
            own hard drive that you add. I have read up on it, and did see the
            unix commands necessary to mount it, etc.

            > Are these the same procedures as with the Buffalo link station or
            do I need to do something special when I use the linkstations? I am
            assuming using it across platform shouldn't even be an issue really.

            > Am I missing something?
            >
            > thx
            >
            > cherrytreeproduction <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
            > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
            > > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
            >
            > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
            > of the Linkstation)

            http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

            > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
            > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.
            >
            > > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
            > > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
            > time.
            >
            > if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
            > the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.
            >

            > > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
            > >

            > i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
            > can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
            > definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
            > i got that sentence wrong...
            >
            > > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
            > >

            > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
            >
            > www.linkstationwiki.org
            > www.kurobox.com
            >
            > start some reading.
            >
            > -- mindbender

            > Buffalo linkstation Communication and networking

            Service.

          • mixed_mind_assistance
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
              <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
              > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple and
              > > wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
              >
              > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer counterpart
              > of the Linkstation)

              http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

              > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
              > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you.
              >
              > > It looks as if it has NFS support in FC4, but I'm not sure what to
              > > expect when I get these, so I wanted to post that question ahead of
              > time.
              >
              > if you need kernel NFS (which is faster), then you maybe want to run
              > the 2.6-kernel as it supports it.
              >

              > > Setup, and other issues I was not aware of other than its web based.
              > >

              > i do not understand...what do you mean? you only want something that
              > can be administrated over the webinterface? hmm....for installing you
              > definitely need to do execute some commands in the console...but maybe
              > i got that sentence wrong...
              >
              > > Someone was kind enough to lead me here. I appreciate that ;)
              > >

              > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
              >
              > www.linkstationwiki.org
              > www.kurobox.com
              >
              > start some reading.
              >
              > -- mindbender

              Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, I will in the future be
              ordering the KUROBOX. I'm not saying my buffalo is defective, but what
              I'm saying is UPS SUCKS!!!! My box came entirely OPENED and it
              contained both the Buffalo's, with absolutely NO filler in it, no
              peanuts whatsoever, so it makes me wonder why the heck companies don't
              use FEDEX. The Box had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes
              themselves had no padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's
              appeared to be RE SHRINKwrapped.

              I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
              for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
              free shipping from them.

              A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
              with NEWEGG!!!
            • Craig Olofson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                mixed_mind_assistance wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"
                > > <mixed_mind_assistance@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Hi, I found this online at about 189$ and wanted to get a couple
                > >> and wanted to know if I can run this with FC4?
                > >
                > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
                > > counterpart of the Linkstation)

                http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721

                > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
                > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
                > >
                > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
                > >
                > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
                > >
                > > start some reading.
                > >
                > > -- mindbender
                > >

                > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
                > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
                > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
                > RE SHRINKwrapped.
                >
                > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
                > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
                > free shipping from them.
                >
                > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
                > with NEWEGG!!!

                Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
                to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
                deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
                two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
                and frustrating.

                I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...

                -Craig
              • Craig Olofson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                  cherrytreeproduction wrote:

                  > ...<deleted>
                  > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
                  > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on it...
                  >
                  > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
                  > articles + debian-tutorials....

                  Cherry (anyone?);

                  Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
                  a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd converted my
                  ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
                  I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.

                  tia,
                  -Craig
                • Tony Morehen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                    Just be grateful you don't live in Canada. I just brought in some
                    computer parts worth $28. UPS's brokerage fee came to $17.10! This
                    despite their website listing $7 as their brokerage fee. In addition
                    they charged me $5.85 to pay out $1.96 in sales tax and $4.25 to collect
                    that money. I wound up paying almost the same amount in sales tax on
                    the brokerage charge. By comparison, if the package was shipped
                    purolator or USPS I would have paid $5 in brokerage charges.

                    UPS charges seem to designed to discourage small shipments.

                    Craig Olofson wrote:
                    > mixed_mind_assistance wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                    > > <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mixed_mind_assistance"

                    > > > there is a project for the kurobox (this is the developer
                    > > > counterpart of the Linkstation)
                    > > >

                    > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721
                    > <http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=f8bd15ba4d733bcf8ec0c43475fd6721>
                    > >

                    > > > i would suggest you begin with some reading....a kurobox isn`t that
                    > > > expensive anymore....maybe it is the right choice for you. ...
                    > > >
                    > > > here are 2 Links that might be very interesting for you:
                    > > >
                    > > > www.linkstationwiki.org www.kurobox.com
                    > > >
                    > > > start some reading.
                    > > >
                    > > > -- mindbender
                    > > >

                    > > Well, after a horrible SHIPPING experience, ...<deleted>...The Box
                    > > had no tape on it whatsoever, and the buffalo boxes themselves had no
                    > > padding on the inside of them, in fact the buffalo's appeared to be
                    > > RE SHRINKwrapped.
                    > >
                    > > I overpaid by 40$ which ticks me off too b/c they had them at BUY.com
                    > > for 20$ cheaper right after I bought mine, and I could have gotten
                    > > free shipping from them.
                    > >
                    > > A Word to the wise, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH UPS and don't do business
                    > > with NEWEGG!!!
                    > >

                    > Finally, something in this group I know something about <g>. I'd have
                    > to agree with you wrt to UPS & NewEgg. UPS, generally, our office can
                    > deal with (make sure the originator takes packing seriously). But the
                    > two times we /tried/ to do business with NewEgg were very unproductive
                    > and frustrating.
                    >
                    > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal purchases...
                    >
                    > -Craig

                    > Buffalo linkstation
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=r2CzGJvdC2av3mUUFW_Dfg>
                    > Communication and networking
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=PnautBytSHe2Zj97cMHLqg>

                  • mixed_mind_assistance
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006

                      > I dunno. If I felt lucky I *might* try them for personal
                      purchases...

                      > -Craig

                      I got my shipping back TG <g>
                    • cherrytreeproduction
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 5, 2006
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson
                        <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

                        > cherrytreeproduction wrote:
                        >
                        > > ...<deleted>
                        > > you can convert your Kurobox to a Linkstation, if you want to flash
                        > > openlink or freelink on it.....a 2.6.16.17-kernel can also run on
                        it...

                        > > you should read a bit at www.linkstationwiki.org....especially the
                        > > articles + debian-tutorials....
                        >
                        > Cherry (anyone?);
                        >
                        > Would you clear something up for me? Are you saying that one can flash
                        > a kuro to open- or freelink? The reason I ask is that I'd
                        converted my
                        > ppc LS-250 to a kuro and have wanted to give one of the -links a shot.
                        > I just hadn't found any doc saying one could do that explicitly.
                        >
                        > tia,
                        > -Craig

                        in fact you cannot use the firmware-images directly because there is
                        no apservd-process running on your kuro...the firmware updater simply
                        won`T find your box. but you could unzip the image.dat from openlink
                        or freelink (for the LS1) with the password from
                        http://linkstationwiki.org/Main/FAQ.....or to make it easier for you:
                        NFM_TUPSBHFNFM_TUPSBHF .....(image.dat is a password-protected
                        zip-archive)....then you get a tmpimage.tgz.....which is a archive of
                        the filesystem......if you untar it on / (=/dev/hda1), then you will
                        have openlink or freelink on your kurobox....the only difference is
                        that you are running the kuro-kernel in the flash.....

                        best regards
                        -- mindbender