[kernel patch] communicate with AVR directly from the kernel

  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2006
      Hi all

      This is mainly to document a patch, in case anybody does find it useful
      and wants to play with it.

      The attached file is an incremental patch to
      http://genbako.vodapone.com/old/2.6.17-rc/kurobox-sources-2.6.17-rc2.patch.
      Yes, it is somewhat outdated now, but it can be easily ported to a newer
      patch. It has been announced and discussed earlier on the kurobox forum:
      http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=946.

      In short, it implements the 3 vital functions that until now were done in
      userspace by various startup-scripts in the kernel. These 3 functions are:
      1) disabling the watchdog, 2) resetting the system, 3) switching off the
      power. While on that I also cleaned up some minor stuff. Though minor it
      may be it breaks backwards compatibility with earlier kernels: it restores
      the usual on these CPUs ttyS assignment: in our case ttyS0 to AVR and
      ttyS1 console. So, this is one more point you will have to consider if you
      decide to test it.

      Have fun
      Thanks
      Guennadi