UpnP on Buffalo Gigabit Linkstation

  • jensbrenner79
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2006
      Hello,

      is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
      I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
      it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.

      By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
      problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to the
      explanation given in the wiki?

      Thanks & regards!

      Jens
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2006
        > is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
        > I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
        > it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.

        yes, why not?

        twonkyvision works on the LS1 and it will work on the LS HG.

        the guys from twonkyvision have an installation programm for
        twonkyvision....maybe this installer does not work properly.

        but you can use the twonkyvision binary and the scripts that you can
        download from the files-sections of this group instead and install it
        manually

        > By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
        > problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to the
        > explanation given in the wiki?

        making backups is a good idea anyway......

        but your data should be save. the system-partition is /dev/hda1 (the
        first partition), the data-partition (where all the shares are) is
        /dev/hda3 (the third)....by flashing to openlink you are changing only
        the files on /dev/hda1..../dev/hda3 ( = /mnt/ ) should be save.
      • wheely30km
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2006
          > is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
          > I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
          > it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.
          >
          > By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
          > problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to
          the
          > explanation given in the wiki?

          I had some files on my linkstation, and flashed the openlink firmware,
          the files were still there :-)

          I had a couple of problems with the TwonkyInstaller, I had to do some
          steps manually, so I made a beginner's How-to here :
          http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1545

          My linkstation is not Gigabit, bit I don't see any reason why it
          shouldn't work on a Gigabit LS :-)
        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wheely30km"
            <wheely30km@...> wrote:

            > > is it possible to install an upnp mediaserver on the gigabit version?
            > > I had contact with the support of twonkyvision and they told me that
            > > it is not (yet?) possible to run the server on the gigabit version.
            > >
            > > By the way: If I upgrade the firmware to openlink and I encounter
            > > problems, is my stored data in danger, or is it safe if I stick to
            > the
            > > explanation given in the wiki?
            >
            > I had some files on my linkstation, and flashed the openlink firmware,
            > the files were still there :-)
            >
            > I had a couple of problems with the TwonkyInstaller, I had to do some
            > steps manually, so I made a beginner's How-to here :
            > http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1545
            >
            > My linkstation is not Gigabit, bit I don't see any reason why it
            > shouldn't work on a Gigabit LS :-)

            you should add in your tutorial that on the LS1 / HG the path should
            be /mnt/share....on the LS2 it is /mnt/hda/share...and you should
            mention that the LS2 is mips and not ppc...so a different binary for
            mips instead of ppc is mandatory.

            -- mindbender
            www.linkstationwiki.org