Major probs accessing Linkstation

  • captsheridan1976
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2006
      Hi all,

      Unfortunately i am having to post once again. I am a newbie at linux
      and have got myself in a bit of bother.

      I had succesfully setup 2 more instances of thttpd. both worked fine
      until i had to change the directories they were to point to.
      I did this and all seemed ok but then after 10-15min lost connection
      to linkstation. Now i cannot connect to it at all.

      Have tried direct cable connection and have telneted it via Puttytel
      but to no avail just get Network Error : Connection Timed out.

      Below is a more detailed description of what i was doing prior to
      failure.

      As stated above I had succesfully setup 2 more instances of thttpd,
      one for personal website & one for business.

      However, later i had to change the directories they were to point
      to. So I just altered the relevant thttpd*.conf file

      but this created an error when starting the service.

      Therefore, I just went ahead and re-entered the instructions from
      http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralThttpd

      Where I just changed the new pid command directory route to
      s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/webserver\Personal/"

      as directory path is /mnt/hda/webserver/Personal

      Everything seemed to work fine, and proceded to start up all three
      instances of thttpd.

      All websites were up and running and stock worked fine too, except
      stock thttpd was only requesting password
      auth on first login. (Not too much of a prob)

      Then after 10-15min I lost connection to linkstation. Now i cannot
      connect to it at all.

      I have restarted the linkstation couple times now but no luck.

      I have tried connection to it via direct cable link but again no
      luck.

      Also I am unable to connect via telnet (used ip detailed in local
      area connection properties) but i get Network Error : Connection
      timed out

      Please can you help me
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
        <captcooke@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > I just went ahead and re-entered the instructions from
        > http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralThttpd
        >
        > Where I just changed the new pid command directory route to
        > s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/webserver\Personal/"
        > as directory path is /mnt/hda/webserver/Personal

        That's wrong; correct is:

        s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/webserver\/Personal/"

        The purpose of these backslashes is to protect "/" from being
        interpreted is a sed command separator. I kept the trailing " to make
        it easier for you.

        [...]
        > Then after 10-15min I lost connection to linkstation. Now i cannot
        > connect to it at all.

        I have not idea what's going on, but suspect you might have to
        reflash.

        -Andre
      • captsheridan1976
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2006
          Hi Andre,

          Thanks for you relpy,

          I suspected that i had entered the sed command incorrectly.

          I don't mind refalshing the LS but any suggestions on how am i going
          to be able to do that since i cannot even connect to it.

          Would pressing the red button on the rear of the LS help?

          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
          > <captcooke@> wrote:
          > [...]
          > > I just went ahead and re-entered the instructions from
          > > http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralThttpd
          > >
          > > Where I just changed the new pid command directory route to
          > > s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/webserver\Personal/"
          > > as directory path is /mnt/hda/webserver/Personal
          >
          > That's wrong; correct is:
          >
          > s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/webserver\/Personal/"
          >
          > The purpose of these backslashes is to protect "/" from being
          > interpreted is a sed command separator. I kept the trailing " to
          make
          > it easier for you.
          >
          > [...]
          > > Then after 10-15min I lost connection to linkstation. Now i
          cannot
          > > connect to it at all.
          >
          > I have not idea what's going on, but suspect you might have to
          > reflash.
          >
          > -Andre

        • captsheridan1976
          Message 4 of 4 , May 24, 2006
            All sorted,

            Just kept switching Linkstation off and on in the vain hope that i
            could hopefully connect, and after 10 attempts; viola I managed to
            connect via telnet. No idea what was wrong with it and didn't wait to
            find out.

            Have now reflashed and installed thttpd using your instructions and is
            working great.

            Thanks Again