Thttpd file permissions help

  • captsheridan1976
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2006

      I have just set us a 2nd instance of thttpd, and have managed to
      access it ok.

      My only issue is setting the file permissions as i will create the
      website via Frontpage.

      Is their an easy way to chmod all the files and folders in one easy go.
      (Rather than having to go into every folder)

      Also what permission should i set for the file types?
      (Eg .htm .jpg .gif etc)

      Last, what are the cgi files?

      Any help will be greatly appreciated

      Thanks in advance
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
        <captcooke@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have just set us a 2nd instance of thttpd, and have managed to
        > access it ok.
        >
        > My only issue is setting the file permissions as i will create the
        > website via Frontpage.

        File permissions are set according to the user's umask, of inherited
        from the enclosing directory. Set the directory's permission with
        "chmod 0755 /path/to/wwwdir".

        > Is their an easy way to chmod all the files and folders in one easy
        go.
        > (Rather than having to go into every folder)

        No. Especially not with CGI. Make sure thttpd runs as an unprivileged
        user (like "nobody"). A thttpd running it as root was the original way
        to hack into the LS...

        > Also what permission should i set for the file types?
        > (Eg .htm .jpg .gif etc)

        chmod 0644 /path/to/*{jpg,gif,htm}

        > Last, what are the cgi files?

        Where you define them in your thttpd.conf. They must be executable.
        Usually "chmod -R 0755 /path/to/cgi-bin" should do. CGI processes are
        started by and belong by the user running thttpd.

        I hope this helps,

        -Andre