replacing drives in a Terastation

  • duncankh
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19 5:14 AM
      Is it possible to replace the harddisk in a Terastation, eg placing 4
      500gb disk in to make 2TB.

      would the terastation format the drives and create the raid
      automatically, or does a similar procedure to the Linkstation be
      needed, ie reload of the firmware?

      Thanks
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 3:27 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "duncankh" <duncan888@...>
        wrote:

        > Is it possible to replace the harddisk in a Terastation, eg placing 4
        > 500gb disk in to make 2TB.
        >
        > would the terastation format the drives and create the raid
        > automatically, or does a similar procedure to the Linkstation be
        > needed, ie reload of the firmware?
        >
        > Thanks

        in fact...i don`t know.

        you should read a bit at www.terastation.org...

        for example
        http://www.terastation.org/wiki/QandA#Can_I_replace_my_existing_hard_drives_with_larger_ones.3F
      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2006
          <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "duncankh" <duncan888@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Is it possible to replace the harddisk in a Terastation, eg placing 4
          > > 500gb disk in to make 2TB.
          > >
          > > would the terastation format the drives and create the raid
          > > automatically, or does a similar procedure to the Linkstation be
          > > needed, ie reload of the firmware?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > in fact...i don`t know.
          >
          > you should read a bit at www.terastation.org...
          >
          > for example

          http://www.terastation.org/wiki/QandA#Can_I_replace_my_existing_hard_drives_with_larger_ones.3F

          From what I have seen, you can do 500GB drives, but not 750's (or
          that maybe hearsay)

          Keep in mind that part of the OS runs on a partition, so you need to
          install each disk one at a time. each time, restructuring the array.
          Each of the new disks will just use the smaller partition size of the
          previous drives. Once you have all four in, then you want to erase
          the array and rebuild it using the full disk space available.