Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: FTP or Thttpd on Linkstation 2

  • Dick Davies
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2006
      On 15/05/06, prezet2005 <powell.lee.imac@...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Davies"
      > <rasputnik@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 15/05/06, captsheridan1976 <captcooke@...> wrote:

      > > > I am currently using the FTP server on the linkstaion to share my
      > > > pictures with friends etc. However, one limitation is that the
      > > > pictures in a folder do not show a thumbnail view. Thus, for friends
      > > > wishing to just quickly view photos is rather impossible.

      > > > Is their any way of enabling a thumbnail view on the FTP server?

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      > > No, FTP doesn't work like that.

      > Rubbish!!

      Read the question I answered again. Thanks.

      > Certain FTP clients can do this,

      <snip>
      http://number9.hellooperator.net/
    • captsheridan1976
      Message 2 of 9 , May 19, 2006
        Thanks guys

        Just wanted to know if thunmbnails could be done. Since its not
        possible without getting all users to download another ftp client,
        which kinda defeats the purpose.

        So I have now got a 2nd instance of thttpd running. However, having
        probs getting file permission to work.

        Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.

        But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files this
        is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can do
        this quicker?

        Any help appreciated.

        <rasputnik@...> wrote:

        > On 15/05/06, prezet2005 <powell.lee.imac@...> wrote:
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Davies"
        > > <rasputnik@> wrote:

        > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        >
        > > > No, FTP doesn't work like that.
        >
        > > Rubbish!!
        >
        > Read the question I answered again. Thanks.
        >
        > > Certain FTP clients can do this,
        >
        > <snip>
        > --
        > Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
        > http://number9.hellooperator.net/

      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
          <captcooke@...> wrote:
          [...]
          > Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.
          >
          > But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files this
          > is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can do
          > this quicker?

          <http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
          action=search&loc=1&forum=3&topic=759&page=4787>

          -Andre
        • captsheridan1976
          Message 4 of 9 , May 21, 2006
            Thanks Andre,

            I actually managed to find the article, completely forgot about the
            forum.

            Again thanks for this and your resoponse to my other post. Your help
            is much appreciated.

            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
            > <captcooke@> wrote:
            > [...]
            > > Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.
            > >
            > > But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files
            this
            > > is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can
            do
            > > this quicker?
            >
            > <http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
            > action=search&loc=1&forum=3&topic=759&page=4787>
            >
            > -Andre

          • captsheridan1976
            Message 5 of 9 , May 21, 2006

              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
              > <captcooke@> wrote:
              > [...]
              > > Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.
              > >
              > > But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files
              this
              > > is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can
              do
              > > this quicker?
              >
              > <http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
              > action=search&loc=1&forum=3&topic=759&page=4787>
              >
              > -Andre

            • Fernando Cassia
              Message 6 of 9 , May 21, 2006
                On 5/14/06, captsheridan1976 <captcooke@...> wrote:
                Hi,
                I am currently using the FTP server on the linkstaion to share my
                pictures with friends etc. However, one limitation is that the
                pictures in a folder do not show a thumbnail view. Thus, for friends
                wishing to just quickly view photos is rather impossible.

                Is their any way of enabling a thumbnail view on the FTP server?

                If not if i setup a 2nd instance of Thttpd and ran my own webserver
                would this work?

                Well, if you manage to get php up and running on the LS, this is the BEST, most tiny and easy to install script I´ve found (just drop index.php in a dir full of .jpg(s) and that´s it!).

                http://fennecfoxen.org/pyxy/gallery

                To see what it looks like once it´s working, see this:

                http://the13thfloor.org/xplore/

                Regards
                Fernando