Re: [LinkStation_General] FTP or Thttpd on Linkstation 2

  • Dick Davies
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2006
      On 15/05/06, captsheridan1976 <captcooke@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I am currently using the FTP server on the linkstaion to share my
      > pictures with friends etc. However, one limitation is that the
      > pictures in a folder do not show a thumbnail view. Thus, for friends
      > wishing to just quickly view photos is rather impossible.
      >
      > Is their any way of enabling a thumbnail view on the FTP server?

      No, FTP doesn't work like that.

      > If not if i setup a 2nd instance of Thttpd and ran my own webserver
      > would this work?

      If you can write cgis to auto-thumbmail, then yes :)

      http://number9.hellooperator.net/
    • prezet2005
      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Davies"
        <rasputnik@...> wrote:

        > On 15/05/06, captsheridan1976 <captcooke@...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > > I am currently using the FTP server on the linkstaion to share my
        > > pictures with friends etc. However, one limitation is that the
        > > pictures in a folder do not show a thumbnail view. Thus, for friends
        > > wishing to just quickly view photos is rather impossible.
        > >
        > > Is their any way of enabling a thumbnail view on the FTP server?
        >
        > No, FTP doesn't work like that.
        >
        > > If not if i setup a 2nd instance of Thttpd and ran my own webserver
        > > would this work?
        >
        > If you can write cgis to auto-thumbmail, then yes :)
        >

        > --
        > Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
        > http://number9.hellooperator.net/

        ***No, FTP doesn't work like that.***

        Rubbish!! Certain FTP clients can do this, on a mac Transmit will
        happily provide thumbnails from any ftp server, not sure for windoze,
        you'll have to look around, but a quick search shows this:

        http://www.ftpvoyager.com/

        Which provides thumbnail view. You don't have to enable pureftpd (the
        built in linkstation ftp server) to do anything as it's all client side.
      • Dick Davies
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2006
          On 15/05/06, prezet2005 <powell.lee.imac@...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Davies"
          > <rasputnik@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 15/05/06, captsheridan1976 <captcooke@...> wrote:

          > > > I am currently using the FTP server on the linkstaion to share my
          > > > pictures with friends etc. However, one limitation is that the
          > > > pictures in a folder do not show a thumbnail view. Thus, for friends
          > > > wishing to just quickly view photos is rather impossible.

          > > > Is their any way of enabling a thumbnail view on the FTP server?

          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          > > No, FTP doesn't work like that.

          > Rubbish!!

          Read the question I answered again. Thanks.

          > Certain FTP clients can do this,

          <snip>
          http://number9.hellooperator.net/
        • captsheridan1976
          Message 4 of 9 , May 19, 2006
            Thanks guys

            Just wanted to know if thunmbnails could be done. Since its not
            possible without getting all users to download another ftp client,
            which kinda defeats the purpose.

            So I have now got a 2nd instance of thttpd running. However, having
            probs getting file permission to work.

            Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.

            But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files this
            is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can do
            this quicker?

            Any help appreciated.

            <rasputnik@...> wrote:

            > On 15/05/06, prezet2005 <powell.lee.imac@...> wrote:
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Davies"
            > > <rasputnik@> wrote:

            > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            >
            > > > No, FTP doesn't work like that.
            >
            > > Rubbish!!
            >
            > Read the question I answered again. Thanks.
            >
            > > Certain FTP clients can do this,
            >
            > <snip>
            > --
            > Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
            > http://number9.hellooperator.net/

          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 9 , May 20, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
              <captcooke@...> wrote:
              [...]
              > Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.
              >
              > But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files this
              > is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can do
              > this quicker?

              <http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
              action=search&loc=1&forum=3&topic=759&page=4787>

              -Andre
            • captsheridan1976
              Message 6 of 9 , May 21, 2006
                Thanks Andre,

                I actually managed to find the article, completely forgot about the
                forum.

                Again thanks for this and your resoponse to my other post. Your help
                is much appreciated.

                <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
                > <captcooke@> wrote:
                > [...]
                > > Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.
                > >
                > > But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files
                this
                > > is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can
                do
                > > this quicker?
                >
                > <http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                > action=search&loc=1&forum=3&topic=759&page=4787>
                >
                > -Andre

              • captsheridan1976
                Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2006

                  <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "captsheridan1976"
                  > <captcooke@> wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > > Read that need to chmod 644, 755 & 711 also -x all the files.
                  > >
                  > > But since i have possibly upto 100 folders and 1000's of files
                  this
                  > > is gonna be one hell of a nightmare does anyone know how i can
                  do
                  > > this quicker?
                  >
                  > <http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                  > action=search&loc=1&forum=3&topic=759&page=4787>
                  >
                  > -Andre

                • Fernando Cassia
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 21, 2006
                    On 5/14/06, captsheridan1976 <captcooke@...> wrote:
                    Hi,
                    I am currently using the FTP server on the linkstaion to share my
                    pictures with friends etc. However, one limitation is that the
                    pictures in a folder do not show a thumbnail view. Thus, for friends
                    wishing to just quickly view photos is rather impossible.

                    Is their any way of enabling a thumbnail view on the FTP server?

                    If not if i setup a 2nd instance of Thttpd and ran my own webserver
                    would this work?

                    Well, if you manage to get php up and running on the LS, this is the BEST, most tiny and easy to install script I´ve found (just drop index.php in a dir full of .jpg(s) and that´s it!).

                    http://fennecfoxen.org/pyxy/gallery

                    To see what it looks like once it´s working, see this:

                    http://the13thfloor.org/xplore/

                    Regards
                    Fernando