Re: sudo for HD-HG?

  • ken_simler
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9 9:25 AM
      <jronald@...> wrote:

      > >I have an HD-HG250 that I opened with OpenLink 0.51b to run
      > > slimserver. When I need to do root-like things, I just login as root,
      > > but I was wondering if there is a version of sudo that I could
      > > install. I've installed the development tools from
      > > linkstationwiki.org, so building from source shouldn't be a problem.
      > >
      > > One of the motivations for wanting this is to be able to shutdown the
      > > LS using the squeezebox interface. The ExecuteScript plugin will run
      > > scripts on the host, but I run slimserver with regular user
      > > privileges, and only root can run shutdown.
      > >
      > > Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > Ken,
      >
      > Use "su -" without the quotes of course.
      >
      > JR

      Thanks for the suggestion JR, except it seems that I don't even have
      `su' on the LinkStation. I would have thought it had one, but it doesn't.

      I've installed the development tools from linkstationwiki.org -- can
      you or anyone else point me to the source so I can build `su'. Or a
      precompiled PPC binary would be fine.

      Thanks again,
      KS
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9 10:52 AM
        Ken

        Sorry,  I've been running Debian on LS and Kuro for a very long time now and don't really remember what was installed on an out to the box LS.
        You could just try extracting it from one of the other LS/Kuro PPC distributions (Free link, open link or even debian).

        JR
        > >I have an HD-HG250 that I opened with OpenLink 0.51b to run
        > > slimserver. When I need to do root-like things, I just login as root,
        > > but I was wondering if there is a version of sudo that I could
        > > install. I've installed the development tools from
        > > linkstationwiki.org, so building from source shouldn't be a problem.
        > >
        > > One of the motivations for wanting this is to be able to shutdown the
        > > LS using the squeezebox interface. The ExecuteScript plugin will run
        > > scripts on the host, but I run slimserver with regular user
        > > privileges, and only root can run shutdown.
        > >
        > > Thanks for any help.
        > >
        > Ken,
        >
        > Use "su -"  without the quotes of course.
        >
        > JR

        Thanks for the suggestion JR, except it seems that I don't even have
        `su' on the LinkStation. I would have thought it had one, but it doesn't.

        I've installed the development tools from linkstationwiki.org -- can
        you or anyone else point me to the source so I can build `su'. Or a
        precompiled PPC binary would be fine.

        Thanks again,
        KS

        Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • ken_simler
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10 2:30 PM
          Thanks for the reply. It seems it's not in OpenLink 0.51b, but I'll
          check one of the other distributions. Cheers,
          -Ken