Appeal for funds for a new provider of the linkstationwiki

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2006
      Hi all!

      You maybe noticed that there was pretty some action on the forum of
      the linkstationwiki.

      http://www.linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php

      we tried to move to a different server which mmoseley (which is a
      reseller from www.rhserve.com we noticed later) suggested to move to
      http://www.mthost.co.uk

      so...thought we got an good offer i started to built everything there...

      an enhanced miniBB forum....
      a mediawiki as our main wiki......
      mantis as a bugtracker.....

      and i uploaded 4 GB of data....
      the whole downloadsection:
      http://wallace.ultralab.ac.uk/ (as this is the current one) and
      everything from the ipkg-feed:
      http://feed.linkstation.org

      well....we got banned because i uploaded so much....but we had there
      about 30 GB of disc space....so it more or less seemed to be a very
      unserious provider.

      mmosoley was so kind to refund me the 43 pounds = 65 euros which i
      paid for a year of hosting...

      ....damn....everything was setup....they even deleted the
      sql-databases....i mean....i already moved many pages that day
      manually....

      well...there we are.

      as a new provider i would opt for
      http://powweb.com/PowWeb/OnePlan/Detail

      i would subscribe for 2 years because then we get 14 monts for free.
      also i would take www.linkstationwiki.info just for fun as it is free
      and a free domain is included.

      another reason why i would choose this provider is that
      www.linkstationwiki.org is hosted there...and it was reachable all
      over the time.....it seems to be a real serious hosting service.

      but as i am a student i need some support for that. i do not have
      186.33 US Dollar = 146.639 Euro .....i have the 65 euros that i got
      back from mmosoley......but thats all.

      So this is a appeal for funds to get the money needed to pay for the
      new provider.

      here is the link to the forum-thread and my personal home-page (where
      the paypal button is):

      http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_895_0.html
      http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/

      i hope you help our small community to survive....

      if we take no action, www.linkstationwiki.org will expire on the 6th
      of July...and all the information would be lost.

      so if you got some valuable information from the linkstationwiki and
      you would like to support it then donoate some money....

      thank you in advance
      -- mindbender
      -- http://linkstationwiki.org/Profiles/Mindbender
    • larryjadams@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2006
        Why don't we just renew the existing site?  I talked with the provider and that will work...

        TheWitness

        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2006
          when did you talk to them?

          you have never told us that.

          tell me more.

          -- best regards
          -- mindbender

        • larryjadams@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 12 , May 6, 2006
            I did not talk with the current domain owner, but I did talk to the hosting service.  Once it expires, we can request it.  I am ok funding it.  I want a complete redesign of the forum though.  I would like to convert to phpMyBB, if that's ok with you.

            TheWitness

            From: "cherrytreeproduction" <cherrytreeproduction@...>
            when did you talk to them?

> [...]

            > b ack from mmosoley......but thats all.
            >
            > So this is a appeal for funds to get the money needed to pay for the
            > new provider.
            >
            > here is the link to the forum-thread and my personal home-page (where
            > the paypal button is):
            >
            > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_895_0.html
            > http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/
            >
            > i hope you help our small community to survive....
            >
            > if we take no action, www.linkstationwiki.org will expire on the 6th
            > of July...and all the information would be lost.
            >
            > so if you got some valuable information from the linkstationwiki and
            > you would like to support it then donoate some money....
            >
            > thank you in advance
            > -- mindbender
            > -- http://linkstatio nwiki.org/Profiles/Mindbender

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            >  Visit your group "LinkStation_General" on the web.

          • Craig Olofson
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6, 2006
              Hullo;

              Once you two have sorted this out please repost if donations are still
              warranted. This is a great resource.

              regards,
              Craig

              larryjadams@... wrote:

              > I did not talk with the current domain owner, but I did talk to the
              > hosting service. Once it expires, we can request it. I am ok funding
              > it. I want a complete redesign of the forum though. I would like to
              > convert to phpMyBB, if that's ok with you.
              >
              > TheWitness

              > From: "cherrytreeproduction" <cherrytreeproduction@...>
              > when did you talk to them?
              >
              > you have never told us that.
              >
              > tell me more.
              >
              > -- best regards
              > -- mindbender
              >

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, larryjadams@... wrote:
              > >
              > > Why don't we just renew the existing site? I talked with the
              > provider and that will work...
              > >
              > > TheWitness

              > > From: "cherrytreeproduction" <cherrytreeproduction@...>
              > > Hi all!
              > >
              > <stuff deleted>
              > > here is the link to the forum-thread and my personal home-page
              > (where
              > > the paypal button is):
              > >
              > > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_895_0.html
              > > http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/
              > <http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea0025690/>
              > >
              > > i hope you help our small community to survive....
              > >
              > > if we take no action, www.linkstationwiki.org will expire on the 6th
              > > of July...and all the information would be lost.
              > >
              > > so if you got some valuable information from the linkstationwiki and
              > > you would like to support it then donoate some money....
              > >
              > > thank you in advance
              > > -- mindbender
              > > -- http://linkstatio nwiki.org/Profiles/Mindbender
              > <http://linkstationwiki.org/Profiles/Mindbender>

            • Larry Adams
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10, 2006

                Mindbender,

                I left a VME with the Ibrahims today.  Hopefully, I will hear back in the next day or so.

                Larry

                > Why don't we just renew the existing site?  I talked with the
                provider and that will work...

                > TheWitness

                > From: "cherrytreeproduction" <cherrytreeproduction@...>
                > Hi all!
                >
                > You maybe noticed that there was pretty some action on the forum of
                > the linkstationwiki.
                >
                > http://www.linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php
                >
                > we tried to move to a different server which mmoseley (which is a
                > reseller from www.rhserve.com we noticed later) suggested to move to
                > http://www.mthost.co.uk
                >
                > so...thought we got an good offer i started to built everything there...
                >
                > an enhanced miniBB forum....
                > a mediawiki as our main wiki......
                > mantis as a bugtracker.....
                >
                > and i uploaded 4 GB of data....
                > the whole downloadsection:
                > http://wallace.ultralab.ac.uk/
                (as this is the current one) and
                > everything from the ipkg-feed:
                > http://feed.linkstation.org
                >
                > well....we got banned because i uploaded so much....but we had there
                > about 30 GB of disc space....so it more or less seemed to be a very
                > unserious provider.
                >
                > mmosoley was so kind to refund me the 43 pounds = 65 euros which i
                > paid for a year of hosting...
                >
                > ....damn....everything was setup....they even deleted the
                > sql-databases....i mean....i already moved many pages that day
                > manually....
                >

                > well...there we are.
                >
                > as a new provider i would opt for
                > http://powweb.com/PowWeb/OnePlan/Detail
                >
                > i would subscribe for 2 years because then we get 14 monts for free.
                > also i would take www.linkstationwiki.info just for fun as it is free
                > and a free domain is included.
                >
                > another reason why i would choose this provider is that
                > www.linkstationwiki.org is hosted there...and it was reachable all
                > over the time.....it seems to be a real serious hosting service.
                >
                > but as i am a student i need some support for that. i do not have
                > 186.33 US Dollar = 146.639 Euro .....i have the 65 euros that i got
                > back from mmosoley......but thats all.
                >
                > So this is a appeal for funds to get the money needed to pay for the
                > new provider.
                >
                > here is the link to the forum-thread and my personal home-page (where
                > the paypal button is):
                >
                > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_895_0.html
                > http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/
                >
                > i hope you help our small community to survive....
                >
                > if we take no action, www.linkstationwiki.org will expire on the 6th
                > of July...and all the information would be lost.
                >
                > so if you got some valuable information from the linkstationwiki and
                > you would like to support it then donoate some money....
                >
                > thank you in advance
                > -- mindbender
                > -- http://linkstationwiki.org/Profiles/Mindbender

                linkstation Communication and networking

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                >  Visit your group "LinkStation_General" on the web.

              • Francois Lavoie
                Message 7 of 12 , May 10, 2006
                  We've been turned down by powweb when we requested the account being
                  turned over to us. Nothing was mentioned about taking over at expiry.
                  Maybe you have spoken to different people or have better luck ? We're
                  about to create a completely new account, but i'd rather wait to see
                  what you were able to get from powweb.

                  I've personnally done a lot to try to find frontalot (Mr Ibrahim)
                  and if you can reach him then this could be the happy ending
                  everyone hopes for... and increased control over the site.
                  Changing the forum currently isn't an option, no one has admin access.

                  A lot of people still donate from the Main linkstationwiki.org page.
                  This money goes to frontalot, which owns the account, and has not
                  renewed the domain & hosting as far as i know.

                  Cheers,
                  flavoie (at linkstationwiki.org)

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10, 2006
                    guys...look here:

                    http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/1_894_0.html

                    we will wait until monday evening (european time) until we finaly act.

                    if there is no trace of frontalot, we will register a new account at
                    www.powweb.com.

                    mindbender

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Adams"
                    <larryjadams@...> wrote:

                    > Mindbender,
                    >

                    > I left a VME with the Ibrahims today. Hopefully, I will hear back
                    in the
                    > next day or so.
                    >

                    > Larry
                    >

                    > _____

                    ion&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=r2CzGJvdC2av3mUUFW_Dfg>
                    > linkstation
                    >
                    > Communication

                    +linkstation&w2=Communication+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=PnautBytSHe2Zj97c
                    > MHLqg> and networking
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >

                    > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

                    > _____

                  • Brian Waite
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 11, 2006
                      Sorry to hear about this terrible situation you are on over hhere. I maintain
                      the kurobox.com domain and would be willing to help with space/hosting/etc if
                      needed. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the data from the old wiki
                      without DB access. If you guys need any help feel free to ping me

                      Thanks
                      Brian
                    • cherrytreeproduction
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 11, 2006
                        look here:

                        http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_895_2.html

                        (sorry for the crossposting)

                        thx for the offer at first.

                        but i have to admit that i do not know if this is a good idea as
                        www.kurobox.com was down about 7-9 months....

                        -- mindbender

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Waite <linwoes@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Sorry to hear about this terrible situation you are on over hhere. I
                        maintain
                        > the kurobox.com domain and would be willing to help with
                        space/hosting/etc if
                        > needed. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the data from the old
                        wiki
                        > without DB access. If you guys need any help feel free to ping me
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Brian

                      • Brian Waite
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 11, 2006
                          On Thursday 11 May 2006 9:41 am, cherrytreeproduction wrote:
                          > look here:
                          >
                          > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/4_895_2.html
                          >
                          > (sorry for the crossposting)
                          >
                          > thx for the offer at first.
                          >
                          > but i have to admit that i do not know if this is a good idea as
                          > www.kurobox.com was down about 7-9 months....
                          I understand the concern. It was merely an offer :)
                          If you at least need a place for storage in the meantime, let me know. Also,
                          since the Days of Great Silence, the domain is no longer maintainted, only
                          paid for, by Revolution.
                          Thanks
                          Brian

                          > -- mindbender
                          >
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Waite <linwoes@...>
                          >
                          > wrote:
                          > > Sorry to hear about this terrible situation you are on over hhere. I
                          >
                          > maintain
                          >
                          > > the kurobox.com domain and would be willing to help with
                          >
                          > space/hosting/etc if
                          >
                          > > needed. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the data from the old
                          >
                          > wiki
                          >
                          > > without DB access. If you guys need any help feel free to ping me
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > > Brian

                          > Buffalo linkstation Communication and networking
                          >

                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >

                          >  Visit your group "LinkStation_General" on the web.

                        • spencilsplodge
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 11, 2006
                            Hi all,

                            I haven't posted in ages, but I find this and the wiki extremely
                            useful when I get a spare moment to mess with my Linkstation- I would
                            hate to see anything go so I might also be able to offer assistance in
                            the form of hosting should you require it (free of course), although I
                            see that people have already kindly offered hosting, or indeed you may
                            already have alternative solutions.

                            Either way, feel free to ask and best of luck in sorting this out.

                            Regards,

                            Spence.