Really newbie questions about OpenLink/Twonky installation

  • wheely30km
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006

      Hi everybody,

      I want to install Twonky on my Linkstation2.

      I followed the instructions in the wiki how-to : http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralFirmwareFlash

      Now my dumb questions :">

      step 12 : what's the purpose of changing the root password ? Does it affect the connection to the LS2 through the web browser by asking this password, or is it only for telnet ?

      step 13 : installing a ssh daemon to get a secure connection : so there must be a connection that is not secure : I suppose it's Telnet ?
      who could hack it, as it's a home network behind a firewalled router ?

      step 14 : why should I disable the utelnetd startup link it if there's a SSH daemon : to avoid hackers to connect with telnet ?

      step 15&16 : why should I adjust the "utelnetd startup script" ? what are the effects of this modification ? does it make asking for a password, thus making it safer ?

      step 17 : what is a non root account, and how do I create it ?

      Finally, do I have to make any of those steps to get twonky running on my LS2 ?

      Really sorry for those dumb questions,  but Linux is like chinese for me, I would like to learn it but I'm not sure I will ever have enough time :-s

      Thanks all for your patience to read my post, and even more to answer my questions...

    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2006
        --- wheely30km <wheely30km@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I want to install Twonky on my Linkstation2.
        >
        > I followed the instructions in the wiki how-to :

        http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralFirmwareFlash

        <http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralFirmwareFlash>

        I don't own a Linkstation yet and have Limited linux
        background, but I'll take a stab partially because I'm
        bored right now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

        > Now my dumb questions [:">]
        >
        > step 12 : what's the purpose of changing the root
        > password ? Does it
        > affect the connection to the LS2 through the web
        > browser by asking this
        > password, or is it only for telnet ?

        You don't want everyone to have the same default
        password, do you? Root, also known as the super user
        has special privledges and you only log on, or run a
        program with root privledges when you HAVE TO.

        In the world of Unix/Linux, files are created with an
        owner, a group and are set to be read, write or
        executable by everybody, the owner or the group or a
        combination. Only root can overide these privledges
        and root is the owner of many files that control
        configuration. Hence, root is like the Administrator
        user for a PC system. The PC doesn't have an owner or
        group associated with a file. This is the short
        version. An odd thing about Unix/Linix is that the
        password file /etc/passwd is readable by everybody and
        the password encryption is one way, so the ciphertext
        is in clear text in that file and the password is
        unrecoverable in cleartext.

        > step 13 : installing a ssh daemon to get a secure
        > connection : so there
        > must be a connection that is not secure : I suppose
        > it's Telnet ?
        > who could hack it, as it's a home network behind a
        > firewalled router ?

        Telnet passes passwords in clear text. That means
        readable by the naked eye with a packet sniffer. If
        you don't open up port 23, the default for Telnet,
        then I suppose your OK.

        > step 14 : why should I disable the utelnetd startup
        > link it if there's a
        > SSH daemon : to avoid hackers to connect with telnet
        > ?

        Yep. Called disabing Telnet which is an insecure
        protocol because it passes passwords in the clear.

        > step 15&16 : why should I adjust the "utelnetd
        > startup script" ? what
        > are the effects of this modification ? does it make
        > asking for a
        > password, thus making it safer ?

        Can't answer that one.

        > step 17 : what is a non root account, and how do I
        > create it ?

        See the answer to step 12. I'll guess. You create
        accounts using the web browser interface. All users
        use the same password for whatever method one uses to
        login. Again short version. With ssh/scp, you can
        operate between "TRUSTED" hosts without passwords. ssh
        stands for "Secure Shell". scp stands for "Secure
        CoPy".

        > Finally, do I have to make any of those steps to get
        > twonky running on
        > my LS2 ?

        I suppose not, UNLESS twonky is installed without root
        privledges. If it doesn't need root privledges to
        run, then don't install it running as root. A
        misbehaving program can destroy the operating system.

        > Really sorry for those dumb questions, but Linux is
        > like chinese for
        > me, I would like to learn it but I'm not sure I will
        > ever have enough
        > time [:-s]

        I've been using Unix on and off since 1975 and I've
        used a Keypunch machine and a teletype ASR 33.

        > Thanks all for your patience to read my post, and
        > even more to answer my
        > questions...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
          <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:
          > --- wheely30km <wheely30km@...> wrote:
          > > I want to install Twonky on my Linkstation2.
          > <http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralFirmwareFlash>
          [...]
          > > step 12 : what's the purpose of changing the root
          > > password ? Does it
          > > affect the connection to the LS2 through the web
          > > browser by asking this
          > > password, or is it only for telnet ?

          For everything. Everone logged on as root has full control over your
          box.

          > > step 15&16 : why should I adjust the "utelnetd
          > > startup script" ? what
          > > are the effects of this modification ? does it make
          > > asking for a
          > > password, thus making it safer ?

          Correct. But you should really install and test SSH, and once you can
          log in with SSH (not earlier), disable Telnet altogether!

          -Andre