Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Japanese font support

  • Nick Pappas
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      There is no tutorial that I know of.

      The first step in the process would be to gain root access to you
      LinkStation through telnet, you can learn how that is done at
      http://www.linkstationwiki.org The process is relatively safe, but
      there is always the chance that you will cause the LinkStation to fail
      -- I've had no trouble doing it twice.

      Once you have root access your LinkStation visit
      http://us2.samba.org/samba to get the latest tarball (.tar.gz) and
      read through the install instructions for Samba. But, if you do not
      already have experience in building programs on the command line
      learning on the LinkStation could prove difficult.

      Although -- a thought suddenly occurs -- there are Japanese versions
      of the LinkStation firmware out there. These may support Japanese
      characters without trouble, with the trade off of your configuration
      page being in Japanese. :) I may be totally wrong about this, but it
      might be worth looking into. Does anyone else here know if a Unicode
      enabled version of Samba is available in a difference firmware version
      out there?

      Sorry this isn't much help.

      --
      Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      yourself either.