Re: [LinkStation_General] Japanese font support

  • Nick Pappas
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 9:30 PM
      Unfortunately the solution is not so basic. :(

      What you would need to do, last I heard, was to update the Samba
      version on the LinkStation. This involves installing the "cracked"
      firmware that allows you to log in as root, and then installing the
      tools required to compile a brand new Samba build.

      I tried to do this a while back, but my builds kept failing. I wasn't
      in such a dire need for (in my case) Korean file and directory names
      to keep trying. I hope you have better success if you give it a try!

      On 5/1/06, lyasui <lyasui@...> wrote:
      > Hi -
      > I realize this is probably a basic question, but when I try to
      > transfer files with Japanese fonts in the filename, I get a message
      > saying the "filename, directory, volume label syntax is incorrect."
      > I've changed the character code in the settings to Japanese, but it's
      > still not working. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

      Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      yourself either.
      Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
    • lyasui
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 9:40 PM
        Thanks for the advice. This sounds a bit daunting...I'm rather new to
        this whole server thing...might you have a link to a tutorial on how
        to update the Samba
        Thanks again.
      • Nick Pappas
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 10:11 PM
          There is no tutorial that I know of.

          The first step in the process would be to gain root access to you
          LinkStation through telnet, you can learn how that is done at
          http://www.linkstationwiki.org The process is relatively safe, but
          there is always the chance that you will cause the LinkStation to fail
          -- I've had no trouble doing it twice.

          Once you have root access your LinkStation visit
          http://us2.samba.org/samba to get the latest tarball (.tar.gz) and
          read through the install instructions for Samba. But, if you do not
          already have experience in building programs on the command line
          learning on the LinkStation could prove difficult.

          Although -- a thought suddenly occurs -- there are Japanese versions
          of the LinkStation firmware out there. These may support Japanese
          characters without trouble, with the trade off of your configuration
          page being in Japanese. :) I may be totally wrong about this, but it
          might be worth looking into. Does anyone else here know if a Unicode
          enabled version of Samba is available in a difference firmware version
          out there?

          Sorry this isn't much help.