Japanese font support

  • lyasui
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 9:20 PM
      Hi -
      I realize this is probably a basic question, but when I try to
      transfer files with Japanese fonts in the filename, I get a message
      saying the "filename, directory, volume label syntax is incorrect."
      I've changed the character code in the settings to Japanese, but it's
      still not working. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    • Nick Pappas
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 9:30 PM
        Unfortunately the solution is not so basic. :(

        What you would need to do, last I heard, was to update the Samba
        version on the LinkStation. This involves installing the "cracked"
        firmware that allows you to log in as root, and then installing the
        tools required to compile a brand new Samba build.

        I tried to do this a while back, but my builds kept failing. I wasn't
        in such a dire need for (in my case) Korean file and directory names
        to keep trying. I hope you have better success if you give it a try!

        On 5/1/06, lyasui <lyasui@...> wrote:
        > Hi -
        > I realize this is probably a basic question, but when I try to
        > transfer files with Japanese fonts in the filename, I get a message
        > saying the "filename, directory, volume label syntax is incorrect."
        > I've changed the character code in the settings to Japanese, but it's
        > still not working. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

        Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        yourself either.
        Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
      • lyasui
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 9:40 PM
          Thanks for the advice. This sounds a bit daunting...I'm rather new to
          this whole server thing...might you have a link to a tutorial on how
          to update the Samba
          Thanks again.
        • Nick Pappas
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 10:11 PM
            There is no tutorial that I know of.

            The first step in the process would be to gain root access to you
            LinkStation through telnet, you can learn how that is done at
            http://www.linkstationwiki.org The process is relatively safe, but
            there is always the chance that you will cause the LinkStation to fail
            -- I've had no trouble doing it twice.

            Once you have root access your LinkStation visit
            http://us2.samba.org/samba to get the latest tarball (.tar.gz) and
            read through the install instructions for Samba. But, if you do not
            already have experience in building programs on the command line
            learning on the LinkStation could prove difficult.

            Although -- a thought suddenly occurs -- there are Japanese versions
            of the LinkStation firmware out there. These may support Japanese
            characters without trouble, with the trade off of your configuration
            page being in Japanese. :) I may be totally wrong about this, but it
            might be worth looking into. Does anyone else here know if a Unicode
            enabled version of Samba is available in a difference firmware version
            out there?

            Sorry this isn't much help.