Re: Linkstation 2 - Samba with DOS

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "arfski" <rafmoslin@...>
      wrote:
      [...]
      > The drive G has been mapped just a "NET USE G: \\NAS\GHOST"
      statement.

      As I understood it, the article I pointed to suggested to use the
      numeric IP address.

      Good luck!

      -Andre
    • rsteiner@visi.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006

        >I'm wondering if the LS implementation of Samba is at fault, I've
        >spoken to Buffalo and all they can say is that the box is only
        >supported from Windows, not something they state on the sales
        >information.

        It's strange. My LS works just fine with Windows, Linux, and OS/2, but
        when I'm in a DOS VDM under OS/2 I can't do DIR commands either (using
        either the latest version of 4DOS or COMMAND.COM) ... and that's on a
        box that is connected just fine in OS/2 and can view the LS natively.

        Since I don't have this issue with multiple other Samba boxes, I can
        only assume there's something unique about the LS's configuration that
        makes DOS unhappy.

        The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
      • dianalucy00-magnia@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2006
          Hello,

          - snip -
          the "DIR" comamnd, no listing, just Extended error 123...
          - snip -

          I had this issue before when I used Bart's MODBOOT DOS disk on a Snap Server that was part of our NT domain.  I know that the Linkstation doesn't do Domains but you might want to check your network client login on your DOS boot disk to ensure it's not trying to access a Domain - should instead try as a workgroup or even a Peer.  Check protocol.ini or the other ini to see which it is trying to use on your boot disk.

          In my case, when I had specified to login using the Domain I would see an empty DIR despite the fact that well over 20 directories were in the share.  I changed Bart's MODBOOT DOS disk to login via a nonexistant workgroup called "WORKGROUP" and established an account on the Snap server itself just for ghosting with access to that share only.  Now my DOS based ghosting always works.

          Hope that helps,
          - Linda :)

          For my non-geek friends:
          Friends don't email friends .exe or .com files. So don't open those types of attachments!!
          For my geek friends:
          Adopt a newbie....